Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Token
    replied

Finally cold enough to start layering. I find a relatively casual car coat to be super versatile.

Leave a comment:

• Token
    replied
    Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post

The lighting in the hotel sucks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fit looks good but man that hotel lighting is terrible haha

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Yes that's the one I got last year based on the PutThisOn post which wrote it up as pretty fantastic. I am mostly pleased with it, primarily because the outer fabric is fantastic - real British Yorkshire tweed woven by Moon Mills. Would have liked at least one interior chest pocket but at the price they were selling them at I'm not surprised they cut a small corner there.

The construction looks fine on the exterior and visible parts of the interior, but I did have a small hole start to form almost immediately in the seam of one of the pockets. I was going to have my seamstress take care of that but then I was like, no one is going to see whether this seam is stitched together elegantly or not so I just grabbed my little sewing kit and took care of it myself. For the heart of winter if I feel like I'd have to layer heavily underneath to be warm enough if I lived somewhere that gets really cold - it's not super thick outer fabric and there is no insulating layer behind it. Here in DC it's fine with a suit or sport coat underneath for all but the few most frigid days, but in Boston, Chicago, or Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit...anywhere that gets real cold, it might be better for the colder shoulder season months than the true heart of winter if you have to be out for very long in it.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    well, a good J Crew promo code that included the Sussex quilted came up so I ordered the olive. looking forward to the upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Scofield
    replied
    looking for a new peacoat, trying out the schott 751

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    replied
    Originally posted by Token View Post
    Glad you like it! Post some pics if you have a chance

The lighting in the hotel sucks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Slubby Linen
    replied
    Hoping to get some use out of the inexpensive Target overcoat I got last year but never wore for some reason:

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-stand...93#lnk=sametab

As you can see they're selling it again this year except they're calling the color camel instead of brown, which IMO is a bit misleading. It's definitely brown.

Leave a comment:

• Token
    replied
    Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Bought the AF dad coat from [MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] on the buy/sell forums. Wearing it in New York now. Couldn’t be happier. It will be my go to for this winter.
    Glad you like it! Post some pics if you have a chance

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    replied
    Bought the AF dad coat from [MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] on the buy/sell forums. Wearing it in New York now. Couldn’t be happier. It will be my go to for this winter.

Leave a comment:

• smitty
    replied
    I got one of these last year. Maybe not for the coldest of days, but it is quite warm and I love the look. I have a big weakness for Baracuta G9 jackets.

https://www.baracuta.com/en/shop/mat...rduroy#start=5

Leave a comment:

• Hebrew Barrister
    replied
    Doesn't really get cold enough here. I can usually manage with layering.

Casually, on the coldest days, I go with a long sleeve shirt under a sweater, with a one size larger harrington jacket from JCrew that I accidentally drunk purchased. It's actually turned out to be a useful purchase, as it has enough room to go over even a thick sweater.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Lord. We've already had two different bouts of negative temps accompanied by several winter storms. I've already seen use out of my fleece lined pants, pac boots, and oversized down parka. It warmed up to the 20s yesterday though....

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    i will add that so far this winter i have only used a sweater (every day) and a tweed jacket a couple days. it's been around freezing a few mornings just barely, but we're still not super cold just yet. Give it a week i guess...

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    Originally posted by SwiftToole View Post
    Another member of team duffle coat here. .
    i will make it three.

I have an ebayed J Press Duffle coat that i wore all last year, and i'll probably replace it with a new one or Gloverall one after a couple more years. The one I have is some kind of rad cashmere it of course looks great feels great, but it's not very durable. it's a little thin in places.

I tend towards long beautiful Wool/camel top coats and for my greatly car-oriented commute and weekend, having the long coat every day just doesn't make sense anymore. I used to love it waiting on the street/platform for the bus or subway...

As for the duffle coat, there's some kind of really amazing spot it touches while being very close to dressy, and still having a hood somehow. Most things with hoods are ghastly :-), but it's very nice when a strong breeze kicks up to 30 mph and it's a single digit temperature outside, to quell the cold uprising with a nice soft flannel lined hood. It might even serve more utility as my Sterlingwear peacoat, though it's definitely not as warm, and lacks as functional a collar as the peacoat has.

current one if navy, next one will likely be as well, unless i find some amazing certain one around.

Leave a comment:

• holmes10
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    [MENTION=6449]holmes10[/MENTION] that was a great/informative post. Thanks.
    Glad it was helpful. I went back to add some links, but for some reason it's not letting me edit my post, so here goes:

- Cole Haan 4-pocket quilted. Still available in small and medium on Amazon. I'm generally a medium, and the medium is a good fit in the length and shoulders. Medium is around $90 now vs. the $70 I paid, but not bad.

- Scotch and Soda "quilted jacket" (really what I would call a puffer). I sometimes need a large with Scotch and Soda, but the medium is better for me with this coat. Available in black and army green in a variety of sizes. If you like it, I recommend putting it in your cart and watching for a while because the price can fluctuate a lot.

- Uniqlo "ultra warm coat." Unfortunately it looks like they changed these. They jacked the price up, and it no longer has the snorkel hood that mine has. (Snorkel hood for me is almost a deal breaker because when it's really fucking cold you can zip that all the way up to protect your face, and the wind can't blow the hood off your head. You don't even need a scarf.) It looks like Uniqlo also has an N3-B parka with a snorkel hood, but it doesn't look as warm: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-n-3...ar-and-blazers.

- Sherpa collar cotton bomber. I'm toying with the idea of keeping this one. I have zero experience with this brand and I suspect the $140 slash-through price is complete horseshit, but $55 seems fair for this jacket. Keeping price/brand out of it, the fabric, build quality, and stitching were surprisingly good. Had to size up to a large.

- N-1 deck jacket. A lot of tempting options here. I don't own one, but I suspect they'd work for late fall/early winter and then again in late winter/early spring.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X