Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have less expensive alternatives for an overcoat? While what S&M/Suitsupply offer are probably some of the nicest I've seen around, those price tags may be out of my reach. Wondering if anyone knew where to find something similar for a good price/quality/value. Coats that look like this: https://www.spierandmackay.com/charc...cid=b1k3_4lpc0
    Oral B.

Comment

Does anyone own a S&M Overcoat? Do they ever run sales on outerwear?

I really like the one that [MENTION=15626]blan2819[/MENTION] had linked in his https://www.spierandmackay.com/charc...-overcoat.html but not sure how they fit, for reference I wear 40S in Suitsupply Napoli./Havanna as well as bonobos suits.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyk View Post

I really like the one that [MENTION=15626]blan2819[/MENTION] had linked in his https://www.spierandmackay.com/charc...-overcoat.html but not sure how they fit, for reference I wear 40S in Suitsupply Napoli./Havanna as well as bonobos suits.
        You might find them on sale for Black Friday. S&M has also been doing flash sales this week so get on the mailing list in case they do one for coats (I'm crossing my fingers). I took the same size as my suits in their polo coats last year and while I can fit a sportcoat under it, I think I'll size up if I grab another coat this year. It would give me a little more room in the chest and shoulders to move but still be a sleek looking jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by blan2819 View Post
          Does anyone have less expensive alternatives for an overcoat? While what S&M/Suitsupply offer are probably some of the nicest I've seen around, those price tags may be out of my reach. Wondering if anyone knew where to find something similar for a good price/quality/value. Coats that look like this: https://www.spierandmackay.com/charc...cid=b1k3_4lpc0
          If you hit the right discount code (say 40% off) Banana Republic or J Crew would probably have something significantly cheaper than that coat at full price - but as that is roughly where J Crew and BR price their overcoats at full retail you could do just as well, maybe, with a discount code form S&M. Lands' End makes decent outerwear at pretty nice prices so that is a potential option, though I have not shopped them for overcoats so they may be in the same price range as all of the above.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
            Yep, thin turtleneck is one of my favorite things to wear in the winter. Looks nice on its own and super easy to layer.
            Nice. Winter is starting to settle in here and I am giving serious thought to wearing a turtleneck more often. I have one, but I'd like to expand my wearing of the thing. I'm always challenged on how to pull the turtleneck look off.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              Nice. Winter is starting to settle in here and I am giving serious thought to wearing a turtleneck more often. I have one, but I'd like to expand my wearing of the thing. I'm always challenged on how to pull the turtleneck look off.
              turtlenecks irritate my neck stubble far too much to even be a consideration for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
                I took the same size as my suits in their polo coats last year and while I can fit a sportcoat under it, I think I'll size up if I grab another coat this year. It would give me a little more room in the chest and shoulders to move but still be a sleek looking jacket.
                Similar deal here. My suit size is 40 and I tried the S&M overcoat in both 40 and 42. The 40 was too tight over a suit jacket so I went with the 42, which fits nicely although I did have the waist brought in slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                  turtlenecks irritate my neck stubble far too much to even be a consideration for me.
                  Is this a problem with cotton turtlenecks? Wool ones (even merino) bother me but I'm OK with a cotton turtleneck under the wool one. Also keeps my stubble from causing a lot of pilling on the wool turtleneck.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                    Is this a problem with cotton turtlenecks? Wool ones (even merino) bother me but I'm OK with a cotton turtleneck under the wool one. Also keeps my stubble from causing a lot of pilling on the wool turtleneck.
                    yeah, anything up there bothers it. Pretty sensitive skin. I have learned to work around it.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                      yeah, anything up there bothers it. Pretty sensitive skin. I have learned to work around it.
                      I have sensitive skin too (can't wet shave, been using a Braun foil shaver for years) but am OK with cotton or poly fibers in that area. Wool and I'm guessing even cashmere irritates though. Not that I'd wear cashmere near my beard stubble anyway as pilling a cashmere sweater is wanton destruction that's beyond my means.

Comment

I have their camel overcoat and am very happy

Comment

No to derail the topic but I think I found my next turtleneck

Comment

Originally posted by Manceptional View Post
                            I have their camel overcoat and am very happy
                            It seems the few people that commented that have S&M coats recommend to go up 1 size larger, do you agree? I’m looking to buy my first S&M product and I usually wear 40s in SuSu and Bonobos suits.

Comment

It seems the few people that commented that have S&M coats recommend to go up 1 size larger, do you agree? I’m looking to buy my first S&M product and I usually wear 40s in SuSu and Bonobos suits.
                              Probably going to get myself the single-breasted camel overcoat from S&M. I'm also curious about the fit, as the website says to order your normal suit jacket size if you're planning on wearing it over a suit/sportcoat, and to size down if you're only wearing shirts or sweaters under.

Comment

Originally posted by burban View Post
                                Probably going to get myself the single-breasted camel overcoat from S&M. I'm also curious about the fit, as the website says to order your normal suit jacket size if you're planning on wearing it over a suit/sportcoat, and to size down if you're only wearing shirts or sweaters under.
                                I noticed that in the product description too, but looking on the web i can;t find a single person that said they were happy with their regular suit size in the S&M coats, that plus being on the book for returns makes me hesitant to purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                X