Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron View Post
    I was thinking of getting one but they had been out of stock when i ordered originally but I see they restocked.

How is the fit/size for you?

I am normally between medium and large (closer to medium). Just returned a jcrew field coat in medium as it was a tad too tight in the chest.

For reference I take a 41R jacket and usually 15 1/2 33 in a dress shirt.

Also how warm is it? Think it would work with temps in the 30s wth a sweater underneath?

Thanks.
    I am 5' 11", 160lbs and my torso is about 19" according to my last backpack fitting. J crew medium slim fits me about as well as an off the rack can he expected too. This coat is pretty typical of their medium. I could fit a chunky sweater under it probably. I tried it on with an undershirt, button up, and 1/4 zip mid weight wool sweater and it zipped up with a little room.

As for warmth...it's almost 70 degrees here today so I can't call it yet lol. Supposed to hit 40s by end of week so I will get back to you. It feels substantial for it's size so I am optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Ron
    replied
    Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    J Crew Sussex coat arrived a few days ago. I approve. This aint bad and gives me a coat that isnt blue lol
    I was thinking of getting one but they had been out of stock when i ordered originally but I see they restocked.

How is the fit/size for you?

I am normally between medium and large (closer to medium). Just returned a jcrew field coat in medium as it was a tad too tight in the chest.

For reference I take a 41R jacket and usually 15 1/2 33 in a dress shirt.

Also how warm is it? Think it would work with temps in the 30s wth a sweater underneath?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    J Crew Sussex coat arrived a few days ago. I approve. This aint bad and gives me a coat that isnt blue lol

Leave a comment:

• MediumTex
    replied
    Sit back and join me on my latest coat-buying extravaganza.

I ordered three overcoats from eHaberdasher as they were also having an outwear sale. All of them are good to very good quality:

http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/ou...will-7992.html - this one is on sale. I ordered their 39R/40R (yes, that's the size) and it was huge all over. The material seems to be a nice wool twill, it was just huge. For reference, I am a 40S in SuitSupply Napoli. So that big-ace coat is a no for me, dog.

I also tried an LBM green topcoat that I can't locate on their site anymore. To be fair, they do say that it runs slim in the description. Again with the 39R/40R sizing. Three-button, single breasted topcoat with, surprisingly, no lining. That makes me think that even the slightest breeze would pass right through to my extremely thin skin. They weren't kidding about slim. I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans and it was too snug. Also a no.

Finally, I got an LBM camel double-breasted topcoat. Also, can't find it on their site anymore. It fits well but I can't decide if it makes me look short(er). I already look short since I am (5'7") and am worried that the DB style makes me look like a dorm fridge. So I'm hanging onto that for now.

Orvis driving coat: https://www.orvis.com/p/wool-driving-coat/2m1s - Nice leather details, appears to be well-built, hella warm. But the handwarmer pockets coupled with the weird, super low patch/bellows/whatever pockets make for a very, uh, tubular fit. Not flattering to my vertically-challenged frame. Already returned it.

I also ordered four S&M coats: the cashmere/wool topcoat linked elsewhere in this thread, the Zanieri black and white check topcoat (https://www.spierandmackay.com/zanie...-overcoat.html), the navy pea coat (https://www.spierandmackay.com/zanie...-pea-coat.html) and the teal barleycorn polo coat (https://www.spierandmackay.com/zanie...polo-coat.html). As soon as these come in, I'll give a full "do I look like a dorm fridge in this?" report.

Leave a comment:

• Slubby Linen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikeyk View Post
    Thanks slubby, I just ordered a 42S topcoat (normally in Bonobos/SuSu I am a 40S) taking advantage of the 20% off coats, even though the product description says to take your normal size as the coat is made to fit over a suit...i can't find anyone that actually recommended their normal size. I'm 5ft 8 ~175 probably similar build otherwise, hoping it fits well.
    That seems like the right move. Hope it turns out well!

Leave a comment:

• Mikeyk
    replied
    Originally posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    A few more details FWIW since a few folks seem to be considering the S&M topcoat. I'm 6'2" 180 and reasonably fit (work out a couple times a week). I've got two SS Napoli suits in 40L. Most of my sport coats are 40L or 40R but occasionally my shoulders force me into a 42. When I bought the S&M topcoat I called them in Canada to see whether I should order my suit size or size up. It's funny because I seem to remember them advising to size up to fit over a suit but I could easily be misremembering (this was over a year ago). In any case it seemed best to order both the 40 and 42 and return the loser. Turned out to be a good move because the 40 was a real chore to put on over a suit -- very tight, although I must say that once everything was tugged into place it was a great sleek look. The 42 went on without a fight and looked good too, though, so that's what I went with. Based on my experience I would say you need to size up, but I suspect that if you're on the smaller end of your suit size (like if you wear a 40 but could almost wear a 38, as opposed to me who wears a 40 but could almost wear a 42) then you might be able to get away with ordering your suit size.
    Thanks slubby, I just ordered a 42S topcoat (normally in Bonobos/SuSu I am a 40S) taking advantage of the 20% off coats, even though the product description says to take your normal size as the coat is made to fit over a suit...i can't find anyone that actually recommended their normal size. I'm 5ft 8 ~175 probably similar build otherwise, hoping it fits well.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    I’ve been looking for a new wool coat and hoped to find something while I’m on vacation in the Twin Cities. I found this Pendleton coat at an outlet mall but they wanted me to pay full price for it. So I googled for a few minutes and found it online for 60% off. 🤷🏼*♂️

It’s a super cool brown color with flecks of green and orange fiber, and heavy duty metal toggles. It also came with a zip-in hood.

Leave a comment:

• Slubby Linen
    replied
    A few more details FWIW since a few folks seem to be considering the S&M topcoat. I'm 6'2" 180 and reasonably fit (work out a couple times a week). I've got two SS Napoli suits in 40L. Most of my sport coats are 40L or 40R but occasionally my shoulders force me into a 42. When I bought the S&M topcoat I called them in Canada to see whether I should order my suit size or size up. It's funny because I seem to remember them advising to size up to fit over a suit but I could easily be misremembering (this was over a year ago). In any case it seemed best to order both the 40 and 42 and return the loser. Turned out to be a good move because the 40 was a real chore to put on over a suit -- very tight, although I must say that once everything was tugged into place it was a great sleek look. The 42 went on without a fight and looked good too, though, so that's what I went with. Based on my experience I would say you need to size up, but I suspect that if you're on the smaller end of your suit size (like if you wear a 40 but could almost wear a 38, as opposed to me who wears a 40 but could almost wear a 42) then you might be able to get away with ordering your suit size.

Leave a comment:

• Mikeyk
    replied
    Originally posted by burban View Post
    Probably going to get myself the single-breasted camel overcoat from S&M. I'm also curious about the fit, as the website says to order your normal suit jacket size if you're planning on wearing it over a suit/sportcoat, and to size down if you're only wearing shirts or sweaters under.
    I noticed that in the product description too, but looking on the web i can;t find a single person that said they were happy with their regular suit size in the S&M coats, that plus being on the hook for returns makes me hesitant to purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Mikeyk
    replied
    Originally posted by burban View Post
    Probably going to get myself the single-breasted camel overcoat from S&M. I'm also curious about the fit, as the website says to order your normal suit jacket size if you're planning on wearing it over a suit/sportcoat, and to size down if you're only wearing shirts or sweaters under.
    I noticed that in the product description too, but looking on the web i can;t find a single person that said they were happy with their regular suit size in the S&M coats, that plus being on the book for returns makes me hesitant to purchase.

Leave a comment:

• burban
    replied
    It seems the few people that commented that have S&M coats recommend to go up 1 size larger, do you agree? I’m looking to buy my first S&M product and I usually wear 40s in SuSu and Bonobos suits.

Leave a comment:

• Mikeyk
    replied
    Originally posted by Manceptional View Post
    I have their camel overcoat and am very happy
    It seems the few people that commented that have S&M coats recommend to go up 1 size larger, do you agree? I’m looking to buy my first S&M product and I usually wear 40s in SuSu and Bonobos suits.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    No to derail the topic but I think I found my next turtleneck

Leave a comment:

• Manceptional
    replied
    Does anyone own a S&M Overcoat? Do they ever run sales on outerwear?

I really like the one that [MENTION=15626]blan2819[/MENTION] had linked in his https://www.spierandmackay.com/charc...-overcoat.html but not sure how they fit, for reference I wear 40S in Suitsupply Napoli./Havanna as well as bonobos suits.
    I have their camel overcoat and am very happy

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    yeah, anything up there bothers it. Pretty sensitive skin. I have learned to work around it.
    I have sensitive skin too (can't wet shave, been using a Braun foil shaver for years) but am OK with cotton or poly fibers in that area. Wool and I'm guessing even cashmere irritates though. Not that I'd wear cashmere near my beard stubble anyway as pilling a cashmere sweater is wanton destruction that's beyond my means.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X