Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soulex View Post
    I wear a vintage military wool overcoat. Bulgarian Air Force, to be exact. 1980s, I believe. Love the thing.
    I got a Swedish AF Greatcoat myself for a steal. Because if there's anyone who knows how to dress for cold weather, it's gonna be the Swedes.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      You guys are all enablers. I need another coat like I need another pair of boots... Tapatalk
      i think i currently have about 16 different coats. maybe half are ebay/thrifts.

i didn't even wear them all last year, it's a shame. I love all of them <3
      Last edited by evanparker; October 30, 2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post

yeah, coat/jackets are a weakness for me as well. storage space is a limitation for me right now so I keep my rotation to about 6.

1) Tan Harrington from Target. Cheap as chips but its been a great addition. When/if this wears out I will spend some good money on a new one.

2) Old Navy quilted puffer in navy blue. This was a clearance grab to test out the quilted look and patch pockets. Kind of a Barbour type look. I have loved this thing and the Sussex would kind of take its spot so I could use the ON for camping. The oN is shiny and swishy so it needs an upgrade.

3) Gap corduroy sherpa collar trucker in "tan". This is my go to casual jacket for jeans and some of my chinos. comfortable, warm, and right up my alley aesthetically.

4) Gap field jacket in navy. Can you tell my wife had a part time job at Gap for a holiday season? This one was bought for one of the kids but he didnt wear it so I stole it. I actually barely wear this hting but it fills a need. Hooded and big enough to wear a chunky sweater underneath. Lots of pockets.

5) Calvin Klein full zip fleece in navy. another "he didnt want it" item that is getting a lot of use. Dense fleece so it has some substance. I can even layer it under some of these other jackets. This needs an upgrade too.

6) Wool bomber with faux fur collar from target in grey. This one...makes no sense. I dont know its identity. Is it more formal? more casual? Is it cheesey or retro modern? But I like it and it was affordable so I bought it. I dont do pea coats because on a skinny dude they look like a dress when they are unbuttoned and I dont button my jackets much. In the south you are taking them on and off a lot. Like [MENTION=15101]armedferret[/MENTION] I could survive with a good hoodie or just that fleece for like 95% of the year. So this acts as my less casual option.

Comment

yeah, coat/jackets are a weakness for me as well. storage space is a limitation for me right now so I keep my rotation to about 6.

1) Tan Harrington from Target.

idvsego do you still have the one i got myself at target, from maybe 2014 or 15? I got one from then and it's got so much old beer spilled on it it's about to give up the ghost. i've been looking fervently for a replacement. I was thinking about this one https://dappered.com/2019/10/win-it-...ington-jacket/. Made in USA for $220 is a pretty good deal. you could probably ebay a J Crew one for that much, but who knows...

Comment

idvsego do you still have the one i got myself at target, from maybe 2014 or 15? I got one from then and it's got so much old beer spilled on it it's about to give up the ghost. i've been looking fervently for a replacement. I was thinking about this one https://dappered.com/2019/10/win-it-...ington-jacket/. Made in USA for $220 is a pretty good deal. you could probably ebay a J Crew one for that much, but who knows...
            yep, thats the one. its been pretty good for the payout

Comment

yep, thats the one. its been pretty good for the payout
              i have been wearing mine a ton and I am kind of worried if i don't find it a successor, i'll be in trouble.

Comment

I hear ya on the 'wearing of the coats' bit. At the end of the winter last year, when I went to move our jackets from the hallway closet to the upstairs one, I noticed I had two or three coats sitting in there. They never saw the light of day. A quick chat with the wife meant those jackets were destined for Goodwill. Now, of course, I am thinking need to up my coat game again...

[MENTION=6449]holmes10[/MENTION] that was a great/informative post. Thanks.

Comment

i have been wearing mine a ton and I am kind of worried if i don't find it a successor, i'll be in trouble.
                  I have a feeling I will ride it into the ground like I did my target boots. so hard to justify a jump from $20 to $200.

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                    Duffle coats are a good option when you want something less formal than a top coat but more stylish than a parka. They look great with jeans and cords, but can also work with wool trousers.
                    Another member of team duffle coat here. Been wearing the same one for several years and when it dies I'll replace it with another duffle coat, most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      [MENTION=6449]holmes10[/MENTION] that was a great/informative post. Thanks.
                      Glad it was helpful. I went back to add some links, but for some reason it's not letting me edit my post, so here goes:

- Cole Haan 4-pocket quilted. Still available in small and medium on Amazon. I'm generally a medium, and the medium is a good fit in the length and shoulders. Medium is around $90 now vs. the $70 I paid, but not bad.

- Scotch and Soda "quilted jacket" (really what I would call a puffer). I sometimes need a large with Scotch and Soda, but the medium is better for me with this coat. Available in black and army green in a variety of sizes. If you like it, I recommend putting it in your cart and watching for a while because the price can fluctuate a lot.

- Uniqlo "ultra warm coat." Unfortunately it looks like they changed these. They jacked the price up, and it no longer has the snorkel hood that mine has. (Snorkel hood for me is almost a deal breaker because when it's really fucking cold you can zip that all the way up to protect your face, and the wind can't blow the hood off your head. You don't even need a scarf.) It looks like Uniqlo also has an N3-B parka with a snorkel hood, but it doesn't look as warm: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-n-3...ar-and-blazers.

- Sherpa collar cotton bomber. I'm toying with the idea of keeping this one. I have zero experience with this brand and I suspect the $140 slash-through price is complete horseshit, but $55 seems fair for this jacket. Keeping price/brand out of it, the fabric, build quality, and stitching were surprisingly good. Had to size up to a large.

- N-1 deck jacket. A lot of tempting options here. I don't own one, but I suspect they'd work for late fall/early winter and then again in late winter/early spring.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftToole View Post
                        Another member of team duffle coat here. .
                        i will make it three.

I have an ebayed J Press Duffle coat that i wore all last year, and i'll probably replace it with a new one or Gloverall one after a couple more years. The one I have is some kind of rad cashmere it of course looks great feels great, but it's not very durable. it's a little thin in places.

I tend towards long beautiful Wool/camel top coats and for my greatly car-oriented commute and weekend, having the long coat every day just doesn't make sense anymore. I used to love it waiting on the street/platform for the bus or subway...

As for the duffle coat, there's some kind of really amazing spot it touches while being very close to dressy, and still having a hood somehow. Most things with hoods are ghastly :-), but it's very nice when a strong breeze kicks up to 30 mph and it's a single digit temperature outside, to quell the cold uprising with a nice soft flannel lined hood. It might even serve more utility as my Sterlingwear peacoat, though it's definitely not as warm, and lacks as functional a collar as the peacoat has.

current one if navy, next one will likely be as well, unless i find some amazing certain one around.

Comment

i will add that so far this winter i have only used a sweater (every day) and a tweed jacket a couple days. it's been around freezing a few mornings just barely, but we're still not super cold just yet. Give it a week i guess...

Comment

Lord. We've already had two different bouts of negative temps accompanied by several winter storms. I've already seen use out of my fleece lined pants, pac boots, and oversized down parka. It warmed up to the 20s yesterday though....
                            Ben

Comment

Doesn't really get cold enough here. I can usually manage with layering.

Casually, on the coldest days, I go with a long sleeve shirt under a sweater, with a one size larger harrington jacket from JCrew that I accidentally drunk purchased. It's actually turned out to be a useful purchase, as it has enough room to go over even a thick sweater.

Comment

I got one of these last year. Maybe not for the coldest of days, but it is quite warm and I love the look. I have a big weakness for Baracuta G9 jackets.

https://www.baracuta.com/en/shop/mat...rduroy#start=5

Comment

Working...
                                X