Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casual prestige/status clothing brands that are good quality and value?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    First off your money your decisions. But it seems you’re struggling with this decision because it’s not you and just to impress others while trying to feel comfortable. Your confidence is what makes you comfortable.

    I’d like to think regardless of how much I make there are some things that I won’t get the value out of. A 100 t shirt is one of them.

    I think if struggling with this concept and it’s for others not you invest your new wealth. Unexpected life changes may happen. You can then when you’re ready either invest in these new status clothing or what aligns more with your core beliefs. Best of luck.

    Comment


      #32
      A few random thoughts. First, your hunch is exactly what this article is talking about:

      https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/9...nswear-decline

      Success now represents itself in refined casual dress, not formal suits.

      Second, if I was looking to seriously upgrade my wardrobe and felt like I had money to burn I would start by shopping brick and mortar. It will allow you to try things on and see if they give you the feeling you're looking for. I'd look for places like The Armory in NY, there must be some equivalents in southern California, I just don't know what they might be.

      For particular brands, I would try places like Taylor Stitch.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by ElDub View Post
        Buy the same clothes you always have (ok maybe splurge on an extra here or there to celebrate, but keep it simple).

        Donate what you would have spent on new higher end clothes to charity.
        Originally posted by dancinginyourhead View Post
        Yeah, I'll co-sign this, with a particular plug for the book The Life You Can Save by Peter Singer.
        Sorry to be that guy posting about charity on a discussion forum for a clothing website.
        Don't be sorry. I think it's important to remember that the money for some of the luxury goods we buy could actually save peoples' lives. I will say that my charitable contributions have increased considerably this year, way more than in proportion to the increase in my income, and I plan on doing more before year's end.

        Indeed, yesterday after I purchased those clothes I mentioned, I put about the same amount in my www.Kiva.org account and loaned it out.

        By the way, for people who don't know, Kiva is a great way to help people in developing countries start and grow businesses. Check it out.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
          A few random thoughts. First, your hunch is exactly what this article is talking about:

          https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/9...nswear-decline

          Success now represents itself in refined casual dress, not formal suits.

          Second, if I was looking to seriously upgrade my wardrobe and felt like I had money to burn I would start by shopping brick and mortar. It will allow you to try things on and see if they give you the feeling you're looking for. I'd look for places like The Armory in NY, there must be some equivalents in southern California, I just don't know what they might be.

          For particular brands, I would try places like Taylor Stitch.
          HAH! My new signature is from this article: "WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?" bhahaha So true.
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

          Comment


            #35
            I have definitely noticed everywhere becoming more and more casual

            Comment


              #36
              Citizen 0100. The ultimate sleeper watch. Only the hardcore will know or even notice.

              Brick and mortar is a good idea, American made/ethically sourced is a good idea. What about a personal shopper/stylist? If you’ve got the scratch, why not have a professional put it together? The basic idea there is you’re getting outside your comfort zone but don’t know specifically what you want. Quality, you can tell if you’ve read this site for a while, but brands that aren’t normally on your radar?
              At its root, Dappered is pretty much a DIY fashion advice from those who have been there, and are reliable reviewers, so you can buy sight unseen based on our recommendations. For cheap.
              But you’re edging out of our wheelhouse, and that’s where it’s time to seek professional help.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                My wife wants me to get expensive watches and pay for expensive vacations and I'm not comfortable with that.
                .
                Because she thinks you'll like them, or because she wants to be seen with the status symbol? I'm ok with one of those, not so much with the other.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
                  Because she thinks you'll like them, or because she wants to be seen with the status symbol? I'm ok with one of those, not so much with the other.
                  If you buy the right expensive watches, you won't lose money on them. Hell, buy a steel Rolex, wear it for 10 years, sell it for multiples of what you paid.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                    If you buy the right expensive watches, you won't lose money on them. Hell, buy a steel Rolex, wear it for 10 years, sell it for multiples of what you paid.
                    I understand that aspect, and don't have any qualms with expensive watches. But there's a difference between "honey that Nautilus would look really nice on you" and "Honey you need to buy this watch so we can keep up with the Joneses". I was trying to suss out which it was

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                      If you buy the right expensive watches, you won't lose money on them. Hell, buy a steel Rolex, wear it for 10 years, sell it for multiples of what you paid.
                      Much easier said than done to pick the right watches, just because Rolex has gone up dramatically doesn’t mean that they will still do so in the next 10 years.

                      Anyone who’s rationalizing watches as an investment is kidding themselves.
                      Instagram: WoofOrWeft

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                        If you buy the right expensive watches, you won't lose money on them. Hell, buy a steel Rolex, wear it for 10 years, sell it for multiples of what you paid.
                        I have beat the hell out of my BLNR since 2013. No way someone would even pay retail for it.

                        Originally posted by Token View Post
                        Much easier said than done to pick the right watches, just because Rolex has gone up dramatically doesn’t mean that they will still do so in the next 10 years.

                        Anyone who’s rationalizing watches as an investment is kidding themselves.
                        Watch "investments" remind me of car "investments." In that community, everyone thinks their run of the mill, air-cooled Porsche will appreciate in value. Select items may appreciate but people never compare the % return to say the S&P. Not to soap box more, but it is like people whose grandma bought her house in the 50s for a couple nickels and it's worth $100K now but when comparing return %, it is marginal at best.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by Ron View Post
                          I don't really post often but I felt the need to here. I've always enjoyed reading your posts as I have always found them helpful, encouraging and informative.

                          First off congrats on taking a chance and achieving your financial success. That is something very much to be celebrated.

                          If you want to splurge for higher end clothing because the quality is superior, it brings you pleasure and to reward yourself I say absolutely.

                          To do it to fit in, or for some perceived acceptance is doing it for the wrong reasons, in my opinion.

                          A friend of mine who I went to college with came from a very wealthy family. Net worth well north of 8 figured.

                          Half way through college his parents finally gave him a car. It was 15 years old and the defroster didn't work.

                          Best of luck, whatever you decide.
                          I knew a guy is college whose parents bought him a brand new Saab 900 turbo (it was a hot car from the mid-80s to the mid-90s) and he complained for weeks that they'd got him the wrong color - there were two shades of grey and they got the wrong one. Happy for people who come into funds as long as they don't turn into a version of that guy, or let other members of their family turn into versions of that guy.
                          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by tayloreuph View Post
                            Citizen 0100. The ultimate sleeper watch. Only the hardcore will know or even notice.

                            Brick and mortar is a good idea, American made/ethically sourced is a good idea. What about a personal shopper/stylist? If you’ve got the scratch, why not have a professional put it together? The basic idea there is you’re getting outside your comfort zone but don’t know specifically what you want. Quality, you can tell if you’ve read this site for a while, but brands that aren’t normally on your radar?
                            At its root, Dappered is pretty much a DIY fashion advice from those who have been there, and are reliable reviewers, so you can buy sight unseen based on our recommendations. For cheap.
                            But you’re edging out of our wheelhouse, and that’s where it’s time to seek professional help.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Holy crap! That is some watch! And I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a watch. Okay, not this year anyways.
                            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                              Hey, hey--Bobby Axelrod--billionaire walking around in his henleys and graphic tee's. I always get a kick out of that.
                              Maybe those shows get it right - some do- but in a lot of cases rich people on TV shows or in movies are dressed like a Hollywood stylist imagines a rich person would dress in a given situation rather than how actual rich people actually dress in those situations. Not that I'm a super expert in how rich people dress although there are plenty of them here in the DC area. You really can't tell who they are by looking at them for the most part though so that may be the primary lesson. The lobbyists you can spot when they're on duty because they're the guys in the really, really nice suits. Off duty though they're probably wearing a ratty old crew neck sweater and jeans.
                              “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
                                Because she thinks you'll like them, or because she wants to be seen with the status symbol? I'm ok with one of those, not so much with the other.
                                Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
                                I understand that aspect, and don't have any qualms with expensive watches. But there's a difference between "honey that Nautilus would look really nice on you" and "Honey you need to buy this watch so we can keep up with the Joneses". I was trying to suss out which it was
                                I think it's because she believes that my modest watches are incongruent with the imagine she knows I want to convey to other lawyers and to clients and that I am otherwise conveying with my clothing, shoes, haircut, etc. I've even had former co-worker lawyers gently suggest I up my watch game once or twice.
                                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X