Traditional Flannel Shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Flannel Shirts

Are there any flannel shirts that are considered traditional?

LL Bean.

Comment

I think you could make an argument that a two-pocket, workshirt style is a bit more "traditional" than one with a single pocket and a buttondown collar, but it's not going to make a difference to most people. I have both, and wear both. Do you mean patterns or colors? A buffalo plaid (really a large-scale check) is probably one of the most traditional patterns you'll see in a flannel shirt.

Comment

which episode of Supernatural are you attempting to recreate?
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I personally like the fit of Lands' End flagship flannel much better than LL Bean. Even in their "slightly fitted" cut (the slimmest they make, I believe), the LL Bean shirts I tried were pretty baggy. Granted, a flannel shirt shouldn't fit skin-tight, but it shouldn't fit like a sack, either. LE makes traditional, tailored, and slim fit (but only the traditional and tailored in tall sizes). For me, at 6'2" and 210 lbs., the medium tall tailored fit for LE was the right choice. Still plenty of room to move, and I can wash and dry them without worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by dancinginyourhead View Post
            Even in their "slightly fitted" cut (the slimmest they make, I believe), the LL Bean shirts I tried were pretty baggy.
            LL Bean now makes a "slimmest fit" that is actually fairly slim. Not quite JCrew slim level, but almost.

I bought one a few weeks ago but returned it. The fit was good and the construction seemed very good, but I was not impressed with the fabric itself. It was fairly smooth and soft but thin and not at all fuzzy like a flannel shirt should be. It did not seem to be brushed at all.

Their chamois shirts have a great heft and brushed feel, but they don't make them in a slim enough cut for me.

Comment

I don't know that I fully understand what you mean by traditional. brand? cut? pattern? features?

I don't see tradition describing work wear like flannel shirts beause they grew out of practical need rather than the structures of socialization in society. Are there "traditional" jeans?

If you're looking for "heritage" brands that do flannel, then I'd also consider Pendleton and, more expensive, Gitman Brothers.

Comment

I have one LLBean shirt. I will likely be picking up more. Can't recommend them enough.

Comment

Pendleton, which isn’t flannel, but is the classic as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If Pendleton doesn't make flannel then it defies belief that they make the most traditional flannel.
                    Ben

Comment

Your question made me think of this: https://www.outsideonline.com/235031...-about-flannel

"traditional" flannel = 100% wool?

Comment

Gustin has some really nice flannels in solid colors if plaid isn't your thang. Nothing at Gustin is "inexpensive" as it were, but everything is of ridiculously good quality. So it'll last a *LOT* longer than something from JCF or similar.
                        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Not sure what you're referring to as "traditional" - classic patterns, long time purveyors, or "Trad" in the menswear sense of traditionally Ivy League prep. In addition to those already mentioned, another longtime purveyor (maybe THE longest time purveyor) is Woolrich. LL Bean, because it's on the East Coast in New England, which is the epicenter of Trad, is probably closest linked to the Trad menswear movement. Unless J Press or Brooks Brothers sell flannel shirts (they may) LL Bean is as close to Trad as you can find. As for classic patterns, LL Bean has several Scottish Tartan patterns that are pretty classic. Buffalo check is probably the most classic pattern for flannel shirts, and Woolrich usually has a buffalo check flannel. Buffalo check is more mountain man, tartan plaids are more East Coast trad dude on the weekend. Land's End also has been selling flannel shirts, in fairly classic patterns, for a long time but they're based in the Midwest so less closely linked to the Trad menswear movement.
                          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

the current Pendleton shirts are a shell of their epic former selves. they used to be totally awesome, the old made in USA wool ones....
                            Last edited by evanparker; October 17, 2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

i would like to suggest that a company called VERMONT FLANNEL CO has the best flannels for most people. They're two pocket, right above the price of the LL Bean ones, and made out of outrageously soft flannel, in VT, USA.

all of their color combinations are positively pheonominal.

Comment

Working...
                              X