J. Crew vs J. Crew Factory Chinos in Fall 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. Crew vs J. Crew Factory Chinos in Fall 2019

I'm about to buy 2-4 pairs of chinos for work and I'm deciding between J. Crew Factory and J. Crew. The fit for both is good compared to Banana Republic and are available in more colors. My question is what difference in quality should I expect? Are the J. Crew ones going to be more durable, meaning holding up better after washing? Or more color-proof, also after washing? At $50 vs. $30 at JCF, I'm inclided to just get the JCF pants. Any thoughts?

Note: I'm expecting I'll wear these once every 7-9 business days, since that'll be the size of my pant rotation, so not an item that I'm going to "run into the ground".

I don't have direct experience with their chinos but I've not been happy with JCF quality in general. I picked up a button down from them not that long ago and found the material to be much thinner than JC. Also, the buttons were cheap plastic and a few of them started to deteriorate after some laundering. I do have pants from BR and have been very happy with those.

Comment

I’d buy 2 pairs of J. Crew chinos before I’d buy 4 pairs (or anything) from JCF. JCF is garbage and should die.

Comment

Originally posted by domando View Post
        I'm about to buy 2-4 pairs of chinos for work and I'm deciding between J. Crew Factory and J. Crew. The fit for both is good compared to Banana Republic and are available in more colors. My question is what difference in quality should I expect? Are the J. Crew ones going to be more durable, meaning holding up better after washing? Or more color-proof, also after washing? At $50 vs. $30 at JCF, I'm inclided to just get the JCF pants. Any thoughts?

Note: I'm expecting I'll wear these once every 7-9 business days, since that'll be the size of my pant rotation, so not an item that I'm going to "run into the ground".
        I have both and I prefer the J.crew mainline ones more. The material is thicker and more substantial. The details are nicer (buttons, pocket fabric, etc) and they fit me just a bit better. I do find that my JCF ones are beginning to fade from washings while my JC ones are holding strong. I find myself wearing the JCF ones mostly on the weekends while playing with the kids because I don't mind them getting beat up.

Comment

Second JC. JCF is good for what it's good for: inexpensive, inoffensive clothes that you'll get 1-2 good years out of before they start to fall apart. JC is sturdier and, at least for me, wears better no matter the garment.

Comment

Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
            I’d buy 2 pairs of J. Crew chinos before I’d buy 4 pairs (or anything) from JCF. JCF is garbage and should die.
            that seems a bit aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
              that seems a bit aggressive.
              Things can escalate around here with certain brands.

I wouldn't go so far as to say JCF is "garbage" but people should definitely understand they won't get nearly the longevity out of JCF items that they will out of "nicer" labels.
              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I have a couple of JCF shirts and a JCF suit that I really like. The chinos, I got, though, did not seem to have much longevity at all.

Comment

I have a bunch of JCF sweaters from a few (4?) years ago that have been great. The current stuff doesn’t seem to be the same quality. I recently bought some JCF and JC chinos and the JC ones are noticeably better quality to me. If you’re gonna use them a lot, spend the money. If it’s only a few times a year wear, you could probably get by with the cheaper pair.

Comment

I haven't had anything that has held up with JCF. That being said, I haven't been happy with the drop in quality from the flagship brand as of late. I'm thankful Club Monaco's men's department is back in town here, their chinos have done me well over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by MediumTex View Post
                      Second JC. JCF is good for what it's good for: inexpensive, inoffensive clothes that you'll get 1-2 good years out of before they start to fall apart. JC is sturdier and, at least for me, wears better no matter the garment.
                      if its a style i am unsure of and just want to try out, I go with JCF. If its a style I know i like, I spend a little more for the main line. For example, tech shorts. I had no idea if I was goign to like them so I bought a few from JCF. loved them. Bought like 6 more from main line. now the factory shorts are my beaters that I hike or swim in while the main line are saved for the normal day to day wearing

Comment

I always go JC unless it's the case of a style that only JCF has. Provided you can play the waiting game on sales, no reason to go with JCF's lesser quality on an item they both have, like chinos.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                          I always go JC unless it's the case of a style that only JCF has. Provided you can play the waiting game on sales, no reason to go with JCF's lesser quality on an item they both have, like chinos.
                          as long as you are patient. JC strings out those good good sale codes. and sometimes they only have them for a day. There was a coat I wanted and I was checking codes at every expiration date. caught one that was only good for a day that included my coat at a good discount (30% or more is my definition of good from them) so I grabbed it.

Comment

Working...
                          X