Dappered confessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
    Are you a dad whose old enough to remember the (potentially) greatest travesty ever perpetrated on jeans? Which was, sometime in the vicinity of the late 1980s-mid 1990s there were actually people buying pleated acid washed jeans. Yes, pleated jeans were a thing. I have Dappered sins to confess but thankfully my sins do not include wearing pleated jeans.
    I'm old enough. I didn't have those thankfully, but sadly I did wear z cavariccis

Comment

Are you a dad whose old enough to remember the (potentially) greatest travesty ever perpetrated on jeans? Which was, sometime in the vicinity of the late 1980s-mid 1990s there were actually people buying pleated acid washed jeans. Yes, pleated jeans were a thing. I have Dappered sins to confess but thankfully my sins do not include wearing pleated jeans.
      The greater travesty is that I think they made them in shorts as well. And I wore some. And I had a mullet. And I thought I was cool.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by Arête View Post
        I tend to try and look Dappered when I go out, but at home, it's almost always athletic shorts and no shirt. Anyone else just a bum at home, or does anyone have nicer lounge wear?
        Same, especially since my apartment has radiator heat. When I lived in a drafty house, I’d keep the temperature at 65F and wear cords/moleskin + house sweater. Never been a sweatshirt guy.

Now with laundry conflicts/shared units, I see changing when I get home just as more laundry.

Comment

Tah Dah!

Comment

I never did the pleats or the stonewash. I did buy a pair or two of 545 or 550 loose fit Levi’s back in the 1990s, but I realized the error of my ways in the 2000s and returned to the button fly 501s (always raw) from my youth in the 70s and 80s.

I still see old(er) guys, usually on the “portly” side, wearing pleated jeans - with elastic waistbands. I would call those “grandpa jeans”. I’m not there yet ...
            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
              I never did the pleats or the stonewash. I did buy a pair or two of 545 or 550 loose fit Levi’s back in the 1990s, but I realized the error of my ways in the 2000s and returned to the button fly 501s (always raw) from my youth in the 70s and 80s.

I still see old(er) guys, usually on the “portly” side, wearing pleated jeans - with elastic waistbands. I would call those “grandpa jeans”. I’m not there yet ...
              I have seen pleated jeans where I work WITHIN THE PAST YEAR. Also pleated khaki shorts with tucked in polo shirt. Engineers are funny humans.

Z. Cavaricci was the height of fashion for me when I was in high school, along with Girbaud jeans and Generra Hyper Color shirts.

Comment

I'm still a little torn over whether 501s are dad jeans. It turns out the subject has been debated -- at length -- on the intarwebz over the last decade or so. My impression is it shakes out like this: 501s CAN be dad jeans but are not dad jeans PER SE. And what is decisive is the wash, not the cut. The iconic, middle-of-the-road cut gets nudged into either dad or stylish zones by the wash being either light or raw/dark.

Of course this takes you straight to the question of whether a pair of 501s that started life in raw form but has faded naturally to a light shade gets classified as dad jeans. I'm no expert but I think I'd be inclined to say no, although it would depend on the particulars of the fading and wear. If it's just uniform fading and softening due to washing then maybe it gets you into dad jean territory. But if it's rugged looking wear and tear then i think you're OK (not that dad jeans are necessarily not OK...in fact they seem to be having kind of a moment, with varying degrees of irony of course...).

Comment

It's hard to judge the fit of 501s without knowing who's wearing them. I'm 6'5" and I wear them exclusively, size 32x36, and over that length they look a lot like 511s look on a lot of people. But 501 would probably look like JNCOs on someone 5'8" with a 40 inch waist and size 8 shoes.

The wash also matters. The Clean Rigid wash (my go-to) is noticeably slimmer through the seat and thighs than the standard stone wash.

Comment

I would think that heavily faded 501’s would be the ultimate dad jean. Bought new in a dark shade, they’ve been washed so much as to have faded, but not worn out, thus continue in the weekend rotation of housework, paint, and trips to Costco. That’s considering that Dad hasn’t hit middle age spread which keeps spreading, necessitating new dad jeans and the cycle starts again. But those new larger jeans were probably bought at Costco, so Kirkland is possibly the ultimate dad jean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tayloreuph View Post
                      I would think that heavily faded 501’s would be the ultimate dad jean. Bought new in a dark shade, they’ve been washed so much as to have faded, but not worn out, thus continue in the weekend rotation of housework, paint, and trips to Costco. That’s considering that Dad hasn’t hit middle age spread which keeps spreading, necessitating new dad jeans and the cycle starts again. But those new larger jeans were probably bought at Costco, so Kirkland is possibly the ultimate dad jean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      THIS - except for the middle age spread / costco part. I have been size-stable from my 30’s into my 50’s and holding. I call the costco stuff grandpa jeans.
                      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        Tah Dah!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=isB89yyzH10

Real Men of Genius salutes the inventor of Jean Shorts...
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by tayloreuph View Post
                          I would think that heavily faded 501Â’s would be the ultimate dad jean. Bought new in a dark shade, theyÂ’ve been washed so much as to have faded, but not worn out, thus continue in the weekend rotation of housework, paint, and trips to Costco. ThatÂ’s considering that Dad hasnÂ’t hit middle age spread which keeps spreading, necessitating new dad jeans and the cycle starts again. But those new larger jeans were probably bought at Costco, so Kirkland is possibly the ultimate dad jean
                          Right, being faded by repeat washing but not worn out seems consistent with the dad jeans look, although I think most dad jeans are probably bought new in a dad-jean approved medium blue wash. But 501s don't have a true dad jean cut and are therefore disqualified from being the ultimate dad jean. 501s can be pushed into dad jean territory by the fade/wash but are not inherently dad jeans. Or at least that's the impression I get.

Comment

Yep, those are them.

Tah Dah!

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Speaking of dad jeans, you know they've made a comeback when the NYT is writing about them: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/f...-comeback.html

Comment

Speaking of dad jeans, you know they've made a comeback when the NYT is writing about them: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/f...-comeback.html
                                Look at those pictures, though. Only Obama’s jeans are “dad jeans,” and they’d still be dad jeans in a dark wash. The others are just light colored jeans.

Comment

Working...
                                X