Dappered confessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    Are 501s considered dad wear? I hadn't considered this but I guess I can see it due to the straight cut and higher rise.

What's the Dappered consensus on this?
    Cut is such an important part of fit, that I'd say color of denim translates more to "dad-wear" than cut.

But that being said, if you're a dad, well then I'd say you've earned the right to go with dad-wear when necessary.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
      Cut is such an important part of fit, that I'd say color of denim translates more to "dad-wear" than cut.

But that being said, if you're a dad, well then I'd say you've earned the right to go with dad-wear when necessary.
      I mean the other way. Fit more than color is what attributes dad jeans. Yes dads traditionally wear lighter wash but to me when I think dad jeans I think poor fitting, baggy, maybe carpenter or even extra pocket type jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
        I mean the other way. Fit more than color is what attributes dad jeans. Yes dads traditionally wear lighter wash but to me when I think dad jeans I think poor fitting, baggy, maybe carpenter or even extra pocket type jeans.
        ...but what if they're a carpenter?

and baggy fellas need baggy jeans. i guess it's part of the whole package.

i think we can all agree that anyone wearing crocs (especially with socks) needs to be dragged out back and worked over with a rubber hose.

Comment

and in my defense, I wear cargo pants every day

Comment

I sometimes wear Ralph Lauren stuff with <gasp> logos!
            I occasionally wear after shave.
            I regularly wear flip-flops in the summer.
            I kind of like hoodies and occasionally wear one.
            I HATE white sneakers, especially with dark jeans or pants.

I regret nothing.

Comment

Wait! What?! I should feel guilty about how much I love to wear vests??? I own half a dozen of them, get lots of pleasure from each, and never knew that was something to fess up to.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                i think we can all agree that anyone wearing crocs (especially with socks) needs to be dragged out back and worked over with a rubber hose.

Well my confession is that I am considering buying crocs... in camo

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                  Had the wrong term. Should be business bros

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esq...usiness-style/
                  Technically I think the business or finance bro look is strictly limited to the Patagonia better sweater vest or other similar poly fleece vests. I have a couple of quilted/puffer vests with wind proof outer shells and they give off a much different vibe. Not that there's anything wrong with the better sweater type ones. I have the North Face better sweater equivalent hoodie and that thing is cozy AF in the winter. I spend a lot of time in it.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
                    I can a “dressed by the internet” chameleon - I rattle back and forth between elevated workwear (levis trucker, filson cruiser, selvage denim, alden indys), fusty English tailoring (harris tweed, ocbds, wingtips), tech gear (actual ski, backpacking, mountain biking, fly fishing), and dad wear (501s, rugby shirts, sneakers). I guess that makes me a sartorial dilettante...
                    I am super guilty of this too. Avoid dad wear though.

Comment

OH man. When I'm at home it's comfy clothes all the way. Current attire (as I sit at the desktop computer at 930 at night) sweat pants, t-shirt, hoodie, and slippers. Then again, I did go out for a mountain bike ride after work, so I feel kind of justified in just taking it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Slubby Linen View Post
                        Are 501s considered dad wear? I hadn't considered this but I guess I can see it due to the straight cut and higher rise.

What's the Dappered consensus on this?
                        I have a couple pair of shrink-to-fit 501s that I bought at JCPenney in rigid about when my first daughter was born. She’s 14 now. I don’t play the “no wash” game with them - I just wear them til they’re dirty, then wash and dry. I mostly only wear them on weekends, so they’re just now starting to disintegrate - and yes, they're super pale blue, almost white in the thin spots. In my book, they are hardcore earned-it Dad Jeans.
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                          I am super guilty of this too. Avoid dad wear though.
                          Dude. I’m a dad. I own it.
                          Mark

Comment

I'm a dad as well. While I love being a dad, I avoid dad wear. Not dad jokes though. Those are required. Extra points when your kids roll their eyes instead of laugh at them.

Comment

Are you a dad whose old enough to remember the (potentially) greatest travesty ever perpetrated on jeans? Which was, sometime in the vicinity of the late 1980s-mid 1990s there were actually people buying pleated acid washed jeans. Yes, pleated jeans were a thing. I have Dappered sins to confess but thankfully my sins do not include wearing pleated jeans.
                              “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                                Are you a dad whose old enough to remember the (potentially) greatest travesty ever perpetrated on jeans? Which was, sometime in the vicinity of the late 1980s-mid 1990s there were actually people buying pleated acid washed jeans. Yes, pleated jeans were a thing. I have Dappered sins to confess but thankfully my sins do not include wearing pleated jeans.
                                I'm not a dad but I remember those jeans very well, since I was in my late teens and early 20's while they were fashionable. You may think it would have been a style sin but, then, you might look back some day and say, "Remember when guys were wearing slacks that didn't even cover their ankles?"

Comment

Working...
                                X