Buttoning the top on a shirt without a tie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buttoning the top on a shirt without a tie

When I see people in their teens and 20s, I tend to see them with their top buttons fastened without a tie. I see this on everything from nice french cuff dress shirts, to casual button-downs, to polos. Now, I know that you are technically are not supposed to do that, but I've also seen in TV shows, movies, pictures, and clothing ads from the 30s to the 50s with men in polos, button downs, and dress shirts with the top button fastened. So does this mean we are reviving a trend from the mid 20th century?

Who said you're technically not supposed to do it?

It is referred to as an "air tie." It has indeed become very trendy lately.

I like the look with the right shirt. One of my polos has a very floppy collar so I always button all the way up when I wear it to help it lay straighter.

Comment

I've noticed the same thing, but I've never seen anyone do it outside of celebrities, 20 something pop stars, and "influencers". None of which I look to for style inspiration.

I think it's just one of those quick, revived fashion trends that will fall out of style again soon. Personally I hate the look. To me it makes someone look like an old-timey British school boy no matter how old they are.

Comment

You mean dressing like monk?

Comment

i do not like it personally

Comment

Do not want.

Comment

Looks terrible imo. pass.

Comment

I kind of thought the same thing. I just wanted to see what all would've thought. I think that buttoning the top button of a dress shirt makes you look less mature than you are. The only reason and time I would button the top button is for when I have to play my big bari sax with my neck strap around the collar

Comment

Working...
                X