No announcement yet.

[REVIEW] TheTieBar: a review in short.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but for anyone else out in the world who happens to Google "thetiebar knit ties" and ends up on this thread, I read one of greg_s' comments:
    <blockquote>

For the price they are better than good, they are great. Also, keep in mind that only 2 (I'm almost positive on that number, could be 3) mills in the world produce knit ties. So no matter the price, they are always going to be similar quality. Thus, a $15 knit to from thetiebar is going to be similar in quality to a knit tie from any high end producer.</blockquote>

That reminded me of something that I read on Put This On:

http://putthison.com/post/17161826063/strategic-frugality-if-youre-just-starting-to
    <blockquote>

Knit ties: Supposedly, there are only a few knit tie producers in the world and they all make ties around the same quality. I haven’t confirmed if this is true, but all the knit ties I’ve owned - from Lands End to Charvet - have been only differed in material and design. If you stick to a reputable brand, you can get a good knit tie for about $20.</blockquote>

Again, he didn't confirm it either, but it's something to keep in mind if you're shopping for knit ties and wonder if the $55 on-sale Robert Talbott navy knit tie from Nordstrom is worth it compared to something cheaper

Comment

I wore a tie and pocket square from thetiebar this past weekend to a wedding. They are fantastic for the price.

Comment

I wore a tie and square from them to my med school interview. I got in so they're great in my book. I'll also be wearing a tie, square, and bar to a wedding this weekend.

Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Thanks for posting this up. I hadn't been aware of the site, and I've been on the lookout for a tie bar that's affordable, to either replace (or just mix up) with my tie chain.

Comment

I'll be buying a lot of stuff from them (silk, knit and wool ties, a tie bar, some cotton pocket squares) in a few days. I don't wear ties that often, but at this price, it doesn't feel like I'm wasting my money either.

Comment

One of the best quality to value ratios of any garment that can be purchased on the web in my opinion. Great stuff.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Just because two things are made in the same facility doesn't mean they're the same quality. There good be different specs not only in material but in manufacturing method and even quality control. I got two knit ties (different models, not just different colors) from thetiebar.com and one was just bad - thin material.

Whether they're worth it or not is up to you. For me, some of their ties are worth $15. Of six I bought, two I would not wear due to poor quality (one knit and one regular wool tie) and I returned them. Three I like a lot - great value. One I didn't like the color when I saw it in person and returned - but the quality was good.

But they are certainly not the same quality as some more expensive ties.

Comment

I wouldn't put them on par with most 100$+ ties i've seen, but they are perfectly on the level of ties in the 30-50$ range (Jcrew, BR, Knottery, etc)

Comment

I think it is important to consider your desires/needs when purchasing as well. For me, I don't dress up for work, and only wear ties casually out on the town, or to events like weddings, dinners, etc. So for me, I don't need a workhorse. But, for someone that is wearing ties every day, it might be a different story. I also think the differences in the knit, cotton, and wool variations are probably far less apparent than a true comparison of a standard silk tied to one that was in the $100 range, but that's apples and oranges.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I know this is an older thread but didn't want to start a completely new one. Which do you think is more versatile.. The midnight navy or regular navy?

Regular: http://goo.gl/6WJqd

Midnight: http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pro...wall%3Dviewall

Comment

I love me some TieBar. Got some I am going to pick up today. Package is sitting at the leasing office.

Comment

@nftmlk Go with midnight. This is the one I own.

Comment

Speaking of ties, I need to add a few to my collection, as well, even though I hardly ever need to wear them. I'm sorely lacking in solids so am thinking the solid navy and burgundy Grenefaux from TieBar would be a good starting point. What about a more casual, playful tie to go with my navy gingham Calibrate shirt? I'm thinking the eggplant and/or orange knit would fulfill this purpose pretty well?

Comment

I just got the midnight last week, very happy with it

Comment

Just got my first knit tie from the Knottery. It seems a little better than the TieBar knit ties I have - a little bulkier or less flimsy. But it lacks a loop in the back which is annoying.

Comment

Working...
                                X