No announcement yet.

Advice on replacing a 20 year old work horse jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea of Huckberry's Flint & Tinder coats (one linked in my original post) but to me, they just don't sell me on actual warmth and durability for being in the elements. In the car world, I think they say, "all show and no go"? Same goes for any mainstream brand name like BR, Gap, Express, etc.
    Filson is rock solid for actually being outdoors but I just can't seem to find anything that matches my requirements listed in the first post.

Thus far I'm still in between the Patagonia Men's Iron Forge Canvas Ranch Jacket and surprisingly, the Pendleton Wolf Point Baseball Jacket. The Pendleton is no frills but it's got a metal zipper (instead of plastic) and I like the olive green. But with 0 reviews, no mention of insulation (just lined) and the higher price tag, it has me skeptical. Thus far in this shootout, I'm leaning toward the Patagonia.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thin Man View Post
      I like the idea of Huckberry's Flint & Tinder coats (one linked in my original post) but to me, they just don't sell me on actual warmth and durability for being in the elements. In the car world, I think they say, "all show and no go"? Same goes for any mainstream brand name like BR, Gap, Express, etc.
      Filson is rock solid for actually being outdoors but I just can't seem to find anything that matches my requirements listed in the first post.

Thus far I'm still in between the Patagonia Men's Iron Forge Canvas Ranch Jacket and surprisingly, the Pendleton Wolf Point Baseball Jacket. The Pendleton is no frills but it's got a metal zipper (instead of plastic) and I like the olive green. But with 0 reviews, no mention of insulation (just lined) and the higher price tag, it has me skeptical. Thus far in this shootout, I'm leaning toward the Patagonia.
      still in between the Patagonia Men's Iron Forge Canvas Ranch Jacket and surprisingly, the Pendleton Wolf Point Baseball Jacket. The Pendleton is no frills but it's got a metal zipper (instead of plastic) and I like the olive green. But with 0 reviews, no mention of insulation (just lined) and the higher price tag, it has me skeptical. Thus far in this shootout, I'm leaning toward the Patagonia.[/QUOTE]

It's weird that Flint and Tinder or Huckberry can't really give you an idea of the fill material. One virtue of Patagonia is, being an outdoor outfitter, they geek out over that stuff and will definitely be able to tell you that info. I got the Roark Revival one - black nylon shell, contrasting brown corduroy on the collar - on Saturday. They don't say what the fill material is except for that it's 100% polyester. But...the pockets are lined in a plush poly-fleece (kind of looks like what they used to call "mountain pile or "sherpa pile" back in the day - a thicker, woolier looking version of the standard polartec 200 fleece that was huge when Patagonia first introduced it back in the late '80s. Can't say for sure that it's a heavier weight fleece or just a more textured version of standard weight. Roark might be able to say but even the 200 weight stuff is pretty warm when layered under a wind proof shell, which this jacket has.

That insulating layer is sandwiched between the nylon shell and the inner lining, which is a smoother poly-wool blend fabric they call their "Nordsman" fabric, which they make a shirt jacket out of. It's a soft flannel, and between that and the poly-fleece lining I think it will be warm enough for true winter temps down below freezing. I can't test that impression at present as it is still regularly hitting the low '90s here in the DC area. It Definitely feels like it has significantly more insulation than my waxed cotton field jacket that supposedly has 40 gram poly-insulation. I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs and wear a 38 suit jacket. I got it in medium and it fits well. Looks pretty good too, at least I think so. It is a true jacket length - ends below the waist but does not cover the backside, so shorter than field jacket/barn coat length.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
        I got the Roark Revival one - black nylon shell, contrasting brown corduroy on the collar - on Saturday.
        If this is the Roark you picked up, it really is a nice item. I like that it has some wool construction along with pockets that have snaps.
        It would be great to hear how it does for you once your area drops another 50 degrees or so. With no other reviews on the site, I'm hesitant to take the plunge but it has my attention.

Comment

If this is the Roark you picked up, it really is a nice item. I like that it has some wool construction along with pockets that have snaps.
          It would be great to hear how it does for you once your area drops another 50 degrees or so. With no other reviews on the site, I'm hesitant to take the plunge but it has my attention.
          Yes that is the very model I got. You have to be OK with a nylon shell exterior and the lining is only 10% wool but is flanneled and does not look synthetic-y and is very soft. The shell does have a more matte finish so it's not shiny like some nylon shells are. Maybe that description sounds like I'm running it down a little but it's really nice in person, IMO. It's what I was expecting and looking for but just want others to have a clear description. I will post about the warmth if it ever gets cold here in the DC area - the long range forecast right now is for a high of 92 on October 2nd. So...maybe I should have bought another pair of shorts for winter?
          Last edited by mark4; September 24, 2019, 02:20 PM.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Having enough with the speculation, I used Pendleton's handy Amazon'esque Customer Questions features to ask about the lining. I was answered in about 24 hours and got what I was after. To sum it up, the jacket has a fleece lining which is enough "for moderate insulation." So, lined, yes. Insulated, not as much as I'd like. That helps! It puts the Patagonia Iron Forge Canvas Ranch Jacket as my winner, unless someone comes out of the woodwork to toss in a left field contender?

Comment

The original looks very similar to the Baracuta G9 Harrington Jacket. Perhaps consider that?

Comment

They might look the same but the Baracuta has no insulation, which it sounds like OP is looking for (if he wants a coat he can wear in the dead of winter). Baracuta is much more of a spring/summer/fall jacket.
                Ben

Comment

Having enough with the speculation, I used Pendleton's handy Amazon'esque Customer Questions features to ask about the lining. I was answered in about 24 hours and got what I was after. To sum it up, the jacket has a fleece lining which is enough "for moderate insulation." So, lined, yes. Insulated, not as much as I'd like. That helps! It puts the Patagonia Iron Forge Canvas Ranch Jacket as my winner, unless someone comes out of the woodwork to toss in a left field contender?
                  The 100 gram insulation in that thing should definitely keep you warm all winter. I have a half decade old Nano Puff - they have 60 gram insulation - and it's adequate down slightly below freezing and even much colder if I'm doing something strenuous or add another insulating layer. That thing should be hella durable too as cotton is really durable but hemp is supposedly significantly more durable yet. Patagonia has a refurbishment program where you can send stuff in to be repaired rather than thrown out if something ever gets damaged but I'm guessing that it'll be a long long time before anything like that is necessary.

Comment

Baracuta does sell insulated G9 jackets from time to time. My wife bought one for me last year for christmas in a nice brown corduroy. The one I have works well in the winter.

Comment

I don't know if this saga reached its conclusion, but I wanted to point out that the Flint & Tinder Mill jacket you linked to in your initial post is down to $59 (medium and large in brown) from $200:

https://huckberry.com/store/flint-an...83-mill-jacket

That said, I don't think the lining is what you're looking for. It's nylon, not something like flannel. And I suspect the fill is not substantial. But with the dense duck canvas combined with lining and insulation of some sort, I bet it'd be comfortable down to 40F. Lower with solid layering underneath.

I bought one! Price was too good to pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner View Post
                        I don't know if this saga reached its conclusion, but I wanted to point out that the Flint & Tinder Mill jacket you linked to in your initial post is down to $59 (medium and large in brown) from $200
                        At that price, I would have purchased one if only to roll the dice on its abilities. But, I'm a size small and those seem to be long gone in both colors.
                        I still haven't pulled the trigger but likely will in the next few weeks.

Thanks for tossing the deal out to the group!

Comment

Well, I was going to wait to post this review until after I went home to Michigan for Christmas...y'know, just to really put the jacket through its cold weather paces, but looking at the 10 day forecast for my home town on WUnderground, the temps aren't supposed to be typically frigid there. Highs in the low 40s and upper 30s. I've already had the jacket out in temps that cold or colder so here's the review:

Scenario 1) walked the dog this morning in 10 MPH winds. Weather app on phone said the local temp was 23 degrees at the start of the walk and 25 degrees at the end (Fahrenheit, obviously). For layers, I was wearing jeans and boxer briefs below (only mention this to make it clear that I was not in long johns) and a long sleeve cotton henly that I got about a decade ago at a J Crew outlet store, a standard weight (not heavyweight chamois) flannel shirt from Lands' End, and a knit wool overshirt that is somewhere in the vicinity of a midweight wool sweater in thickness. According to the step tracker on my phone we were out for 1 hour and 8 minutes and I was not the least bit chilled. It was mid morning on a bright sunny day so there was warmth from the sun.

Scenario 2) Walking to the metro (25 min) at roughly 8 AM in 25 degree temps. Layers - corduroys on the bottom, typical dress shirt and short sleeve V neck T shirt underneath the jacket. I could definitely feel the cold seeping in some by the time I got to the metro and ascended to the platform to catch my train, but I was still reasonably comfortable despite what is for me minimal layering for a cold day.

Scenario 3) Frigid day in Asheville, NC. Wife and I went there for a long weekend Veteran’s day weekend. Stayed at the Omni Grove Park Inn (fantastic old hotel!). The first couple days were in the low 60s and sunny, perfect for hikes in the mountains. Then the bottom dropped out the last day we were there. Temps when we woke up around 30 degrees and they dropped do 27 by the time we left the hotel and stayed in the mid to upper 20s for the rest of the day. Not super cold, but cold, and with gale force winds blowing. Very windy – sustained winds of 25-30 MPH with stronger gusts and very few lulls where the wind dropped to something below windy. It was overcast all day so not a lot of solar heating happening. I was in jeans and running tights as long johns below the waist, and a long sleeve T (Amazon Goodthreads) plus a fairly burly wool sweater (this one here https://www.sherpaadventuregear.com/...i-sweater-mens). We covered roughly 10.5 miles by foot over the course of the day, all of it outside. The longest we spent without going inside to eat, shop, look at art, etc. was probably 40-50 minutes. At no point did I feel like I needed to go inside to warm up with that combo. So, it’s warm but for temps in the mid-teens or lower I’m guessing it would be inadequate to keep a guy comfortable if he were outside for a significant length of time and not doing something fairly strenuous exercise-wise. For temps that cold I usually grab my down parka. But, it is warm enough for true winter temps.

It is also great for the purpose I bought it for – cold damp days. I’ve had it out in steady drizzle/light rain and temps in the mid 30s. The DWR coating they use is very effective and combined with the hydrophobic nylon, the outer shell sheds water well. The synthetic fill material (it’s a “Sherpa” fleece – pile poly fleece – the pockets are lined all around with it and they are super cozy) plus flannel lining work great in those conditions. It is not Gore Tex or other waterproof breathable membrane sealed so if you’re out long enough water will penetrate and soak through without an umbrella. But I’ve been out for about 40 minutes in those conditions without an umbrella and I was just starting to get damp so it does pretty well. I’m sure it would handle wet snow just as well or better. It obviously is a casual jacket but think it looks pretty stylish – my mom even complimented me on it and she not in the habit of remarking on my clothes. All in all I’m pretty pleased with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                            Well, I was going to wait to post this review until after I went home to Michigan for Christmas...y'know, just to really put the jacket through its cold weather paces ... I've already had the jacket out in temps that cold or colder so here's the review
                            Now that is a review! I appreciate the different scenarios, all much different than each other, with the clothing selection itemized. Very helpful!
                            I feel like my world would fall somewhere between scenario 2 and 3 due to my activity level, daily work clothing selection and how much I'm hauling in my bag (which can actually make a big difference on how quickly, or not, I heat up).
                            I also appreciate the stand alone thoughts on how the jacket handles water. I don't need some sort of sealed techwear to guarantee water stays out, just something that can handle some moisture from time to time. If the rain really starts in, I'll wear my trench coat or just put an umbrella up. I'd say this checks the boxes for my water repellency threshold.

But, since you resurrected this thread Mark, I might as well give my update. I posted this thread, did a whole lot of research, made some choices and was just about ready to purchase a coat when I realized I had a Nau Sandvik Waterproof Jacket (I can't recall paying that much for it a few years back!) in my closet that I never really have given proper air time to. So I decided to save my cash and use the Nau just to see what happens. Short answer: It turns out, it works good enough for my needs! It's a little bulky due to the heavier-than-normal insulation level but it certainly is warm and it can be zipped up to my mouth if I really need to seal nature out. It's also got some urban flair to it, which isn't bad just different than what I thought I'd end up with. But, in the end, the price was right and it seems to fit my lifestyle just fine for now. If/when that changes, I'll be back on the hunt and now, after your stellar review Mark, the Roark has all the sudden become a bit more attractive to me.

Thanks for putting such great detail into your review. Much obliged!

Comment

But, since you resurrected this thread Mark, I might as well give my update. I posted this thread, did a whole lot of research, made some choices and was just about ready to purchase a coat when I realized I had a Nau Sandvik Waterproof Jacket (I can't recall paying that much for it a few years back!) in my closet that I never really have given proper air time to. So I decided to save my cash and use the Nau just to see what happens. Short answer: It turns out, it works good enough for my needs! It's a little bulky due to the heavier-than-normal insulation level but it certainly is warm and it can be zipped up to my mouth if I really need to seal nature out. It's also got some urban flair to it, which isn't bad just different than what I thought I'd end up with. But, in the end, the price was right and it seems to fit my lifestyle just fine for now. If/when that changes, I'll be back on the hunt and now, after your stellar review Mark, the Roark has all the sudden become a bit more attractive to me.

Thanks for putting such great detail into your review. Much obliged!
                              Not a problem, That Nau looks like a great jacket - not too bulky, waterproof and warm. It's almost undoubtedly warmer than the Roark by the looks of it, and you said you wanted something for true winter temps rather than warmer "rainy weather" temps. The Nau is probably better for those temps and it's always better to use what you already have if it works for you, than buy new. I think the Roark jacket is great for the price and it fills a gap in my coat wardrobe, but for frigid temps (below 20 degrees) my down parka is still preferable if I'm going to be outside for long periods.

Comment

Working...
                              X