Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen Edmonds Shell Trunk Show 2019.2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Oh oh--I have a stalker.

    You have only seven posts. You're either a lurker or you changed your sign in.
    I've actually been a lurker here for a long time. I stumbled across this page several years ago and it was like waking up for the first time, but never felt the need to comment until recently when they were talking about gym stuff downstairs. I'm a competitive weightlifter, the kind you see at the Olympics, with the hairy Eastern European guys hoisting those colorful weights over their heads, so felt like maybe I had some knowledge to share. While I was at it, I figured I wouldn't pass up a chance to talk shell cordovan.


    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    As for Carmina, they are a WHOOOOOLLLLLEEEE other world apart from AE and Alden. Only Alden styles that really speak to me are the Indy and maybe their cordovan straight tip boot. As for Carmina, gurl I would buy that whole damn STORE in NYC if I could.
    Right??? Their designs, and perhaps more importantly their lasts, for me really hit a sweet spot between fashion forward and timeless style. My black captoe oxfords in Rain are conservative but just sleek and aggressive enough that I don't feel too old-man when I am wearing them and everyone else is doing the navy suit X walnut Strands look. I also have a pair of burgundy museum calf single monks, also in the Rain last, which look just as good with a dark suit as they do with dark wash jeans and a t-shirt. If they do another no-upcharge-MTO event next month, I might be inclined to come at it from the other way, namely, with a more casual style, but in slightly less casual last. Longwing spectators perhaps, but sleeker than your average gunboat derby, and maybe in a more city color combo, e.g. blue + gray, vice the the usual brown/white pairing. But only if Daniela is working because everyone else at the NYC store can take their attitude and stuff it where the sun don't shine.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
      But only if Daniela is working because everyone else at the NYC store can take their attitude and stuff it where the sun don't shine.
      have you dealt with Isaiah? He's always been phenomenal to work with and I can't imagine him having an attitude. A very young fella certainly by 'in charge of the store on his own' standards, *ESPECIALLY* in the field of quality footwear. Unless he moved on to another store or opening his own place, which is certainly possible given his expertise.
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by armedferret View Post

        As for Carmina, they are a WHOOOOOLLLLLEEEE other world apart from AE and Alden. Only Alden styles that really speak to me are the Indy and maybe their cordovan straight tip boot. As for Carmina, gurl I would buy that whole damn STORE in NYC if I could.
        Originally posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
        Right??? Their designs, and perhaps more importantly their lasts, for me really hit a sweet spot between fashion forward and timeless style. My black captoe oxfords in Rain are conservative but just sleek and aggressive enough that I don't feel too old-man when I am wearing them and everyone else is doing the navy suit X walnut Strands look. I also have a pair of burgundy museum calf single monks, also in the Rain last, which look just as good with a dark suit as they do with dark wash jeans and a t-shirt. If they do another no-upcharge-MTO event next month, I might be inclined to come at it from the other way, namely, with a more casual style, but in slightly less casual last. Longwing spectators perhaps, but sleeker than your average gunboat derby, and maybe in a more city color combo, e.g. blue + gray, vice the the usual brown/white pairing. But only if Daniela is working because everyone else at the NYC store can take their attitude and stuff it where the sun don't shine.
        Okay--you've convinced me, Carmina is next on my list. It is now jumped a head of St. Crispen and Alden.

        But it's probably going to be some time before I'm in NYC again. I will probably buy online.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by armedferret View Post
          have you dealt with Isaiah? He's always been phenomenal to work with and I can't imagine him having an attitude. A very young fella certainly by 'in charge of the store on his own' standards, *ESPECIALLY* in the field of quality footwear. Unless he moved on to another store or opening his own place, which is certainly possible given his expertise.
          Gah! How rude of me to forget. I actually met him the very first time I went to the Carmina store. He must have been quite new that day because the store was run by a couple of bearded undercut bros and he sort of deferred to them. Typically I actually like being ignored by staff, but this time I went specifically to ask about the lasts and styles and MTO program, as I previously only knew of them through the internet, and the guys in charge ignored me but were falling over themselves to help some people who were more obviously planning to buy. I on the other hand was in a polo and chinos and obviously clueless. I figured that that was just how NYC rolls, esp. since their location probably attracts a lot of foot traffic not serious about shoes, so I just went up to them and started talking to them directly, at which point one of them gestured at the wall and said, "Everything we have is over there" and then they actually turned away and pretended to look at a computer, like an angry girlfriend. Yeesh. Again, I'm not one to complain about customer service usually, and am generally actually a bit embarrassed when sales guys come over to help, but this was just plain unnecessary on their part.

          I hate going to Manhattan and wasn't about to leave emptyhanded having already breathed all that ozone and urine, so I stood around making a list of specific questions. Isaiah came out from the back room a bit later, saw me, and came over to see what I was up to. When the other two realized I was serious, he got permission to engage a bit more and start bringing me things to try from the stockroom around the corner. What ended up happening was, they were momentarily out of the black Rain captoe in my size so I had to come back a few days later. Isaiah was out that day but Daniela was there and decided to put me through a much more rigorous fitting process so that I would know how I fit in all their lasts, instead of just what size to get in Rain/Forest. She also later helped me make some recommendations for an MTO, which I really appreciated, so I've been only going to her since, but I am not surprised to learn that Isaiah's hitting his stride.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by armedferret View Post
            Who's getting what?
            I swung by this morning with no plans to purchase - just wanted to have a look at the shaved cordovan 5th Ave and see what all the fuss is about. 10 minutes later I was swiping my card for a pair of Strands in Chili.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by JohnR View Post
              I swung by this morning with no plans to purchase - just wanted to have a look at the shaved cordovan 5th Ave and see what all the fuss is about. 10 minutes later I was swiping my card for a pair of Strands in Chili.
              Nice!!!

              I've wanted 5th street boots for ages and missed them before they got rid of them, so I'm determined to stick to my original plan for navy but that chili is making my loins ache.
              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                Nice!!!

                I've wanted 5th street boots for ages and missed them before they got rid of them, so I'm determined to stick to my original plan for navy but that chili is making my loins ache.
                The cordovan colors are really amazing. I have Strandmocks in navy but the cordovan navy is beyond that. So rich! Same with the chili. A rich, deep luster. Just incredible. Boots in any color will be extraordinary

                Comment


                  #23
                  Yeah I have burgundy Daltons already and was set to get brown strands, but for some unknown reason my width was suddenly unavailable on them. So i passed, and now I'm kinda glad I did.
                  https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Anyone else having issues with their purchase from the Trunk Show? Mine kept being delayed (after being told they take 4 to 6 weeks, mind you) and I just heard today that the shoes were damaged and are now being remade. Ugh!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                      Anyone else having issues with their purchase from the Trunk Show? Mine kept being delayed (after being told they take 4 to 6 weeks, mind you) and I just heard today that the shoes were damaged and are now being remade. Ugh!

                      Nobody could tell me where they were at in the chain of construction. Thankfully the flaws on mine (all on the toes) were minor enough that a couple hours of brushing made them invisible from "normal person height". Pick 'em up and look closely you can still see the gouges in the toes but at this point it's better than just never getting them.

                      I was also overcharged by $50 and provided a "credit" to my account in the amount of the overcharge.

                      Others were not only refunded their overcharge amount, but their shoes were received in 1-3 weeks whereas mine just arrived this week (on the extreme tail end of the 8-12 week quote)

                      Not the greatest experience, and dealing with CS employees was......not something I wish to engage in again.

                      Calling the $50 a lesson learned and moving to Carmina and other brands. They cost more, but I've a feeling I'll be happier in the long run. Besides, I have way more than "all the styles I could ever need" so I can just focus on individual things I want now and then.
                      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                        Nobody could tell me where they were at in the chain of construction. Thankfully the flaws on mine (all on the toes) were minor enough that a couple hours of brushing made them invisible from "normal person height". Pick 'em up and look closely you can still see the gouges in the toes but at this point it's better than just never getting them.

                        I was also overcharged by $50 and provided a "credit" to my account in the amount of the overcharge.

                        Others were not only refunded their overcharge amount, but their shoes were received in 1-3 weeks whereas mine just arrived this week (on the extreme tail end of the 8-12 week quote)

                        Not the greatest experience, and dealing with CS employees was......not something I wish to engage in again.

                        Calling the $50 a lesson learned and moving to Carmina and other brands. They cost more, but I've a feeling I'll be happier in the long run. Besides, I have way more than "all the styles I could ever need" so I can just focus on individual things I want now and then.
                        Such a shame. And for the price, I expect zero flaws. Tomorrow will be 13 weeks and also the date of the event that I really wanted them for. I don't think I would have spent the money if I knew I wouldn't have them for this event. I'm about 90% confident that I'm canceling the order today. So sad.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                          Nobody could tell me where they were at in the chain of construction. Thankfully the flaws on mine (all on the toes) were minor enough that a couple hours of brushing made them invisible from "normal person height". Pick 'em up and look closely you can still see the gouges in the toes but at this point it's better than just never getting them.

                          I was also overcharged by $50 and provided a "credit" to my account in the amount of the overcharge.

                          Others were not only refunded their overcharge amount, but their shoes were received in 1-3 weeks whereas mine just arrived this week (on the extreme tail end of the 8-12 week quote)

                          Not the greatest experience, and dealing with CS employees was......not something I wish to engage in again.

                          Calling the $50 a lesson learned and moving to Carmina and other brands. They cost more, but I've a feeling I'll be happier in the long run. Besides, I have way more than "all the styles I could ever need" so I can just focus on individual things I want now and then.
                          Damaged shoes for which you were overcharged? And then they only gave you a credit? Or was the credit for the imperfections for the shoes?

                          If the former, I think that might be illegal and/or a violation of their agreement with the credit card processor.

                          And I never thought I'd see you decide to leave AE--you've been such a big fan. That's sad.
                          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                          Comment


                            #28
                            The latest...

                            Apparently my shoe order came off the production line twice and was rejected for quality both times. By then, they ran out of the leather and had to re-order. To make up for it, they're offering to reduce the price down to $590 (the current sale price you'd pay for cordovan Strands but without the up-charge for the special color) and are promising them by mid-January.

                            Ugh!

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Well at least they're trying to make it right.

                              Would have been better if they'd made them right the first (2) time(s) of course, but it be what it be.
                              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I was a major grumpapotamus the day they arrived, but in case you don't venture into the stickied shoe thread, here's mine.


                                IMG_20191220_075345_661 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
                                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X