Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any last minute advice for a trip to a Suit Supply store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally made it in to my local store. Associate was very helpful...unfortunately helped me into a mor expensive suit than originally planned. Only needed pants hemmed, jacket was perfect.
    Now I have a business formal charcoal suit. And a couple of ties. And a shirt... and... don’t tell my wife!

Comment

Big fan of Suit Supply. I have 15 now including a Tuxedo and finally did an online custom suit. I do have a tailor(one of life's needs) that does a great job and doesn't kill me on price. You can be almost guaranteed that which ever suit you choose from them OTR, you can find a cut that will be similar to your build. They have the same material i.e. Navy Plain suit but in different cuts. I used to lift weights and have wide shoulders so I always buy a size up and have the jacket taken in and sleeves shortened. The pants always expect a hem job and usually have to have he waist taken in. You are now buying a quality suit(half canvas) and really quality fabrics, so expect to pay $500-$700 with tailoring. If you buy in store, you have the luxury of having them tailor it. I too feel that a custom suit from scratch is expensive( as it should be) but too expensive when you start getting into the $1500 and over range. Nothing wrong with it though if you can afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by joekono View Post
        Big fan of Suit Supply. I have 15 now including a Tuxedo and finally did an online custom suit. I do have a tailor(one of life's needs) that does a great job and doesn't kill me on price. You can be almost guaranteed that which ever suit you choose from them OTR, you can find a cut that will be similar to your build. They have the same material i.e. Navy Plain suit but in different cuts. I used to lift weights and have wide shoulders so I always buy a size up and have the jacket taken in and sleeves shortened. The pants always expect a hem job and usually have to have he waist taken in. You are now buying a quality suit(half canvas) and really quality fabrics, so expect to pay $500-$700 with tailoring. If you buy in store, you have the luxury of having them tailor it. I too feel that a custom suit from scratch is expensive( as it should be) but too expensive when you start getting into the $1500 and over range. Nothing wrong with it though if you can afford it.
        true bespoke suits are also crafted with (depending on the maker) up to four inches' extra fabric so that they can be let out a tremendous amount should the owner gain weight or what have you. They're also traditionally fully hand-crafted, as opposed to machines, at every step. There's a lot more time that goes into them, which is why the price is higher. Ultimately, a bespoke suit is intended to last 10, 15, even 20 years. If you wear suits every day and utilize Spier or Suitsupply (and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores both houses) they'll likely last 2, *MAYBE* 3 years or so. At that rate, yes, they're less expensive at the front end, but bespoke will last SIGNIFICANTLY longer.

and this is coming from someone who has a closet full of spier, suitsupply, and some bonobos even, with one Black Lapel MTM (and grand designs for more, inshallah). i strongly doubt i'll ever own a bespoke suit.

but i also definitely get it regarding the differences and the reason for the enormous price bump of bespoke compared with OTR/tailoring.

i'm also not a daily suited guy, so i don't necessarily need the "10-15-20 years of daily-wear longevity". Most of my suits will likely last 5-10 or more simply because of how infrequently they're worn.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Working...
        X