Matching tie to shirt/suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching tie to shirt/suit

Going to a wedding in Santa Cruz and want some thoughts on a tie. Wearing the suit attached and thinking of doing a light yellow/ecru shirt but wondering a little on the tie.

Thinking green inspired by a recent post by thenordicfit on Instagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
    Going to a wedding in Santa Cruz and want some thoughts on a tie. Wearing the suit attached and thinking of doing a light yellow/ecru shirt but wondering a little on the tie.

Thinking green inspired by a recent post by thenordicfit on Instagram.

That's a lot of color. With that jacket and tie I think a white shirt would be best.

Comment

Like the green tie shown in the photo?

That would work very well. Although I agree a yellow shirt might not work so well.

Comment

Depends on the intensity of the yellow shirt. Ecru's gray tone makes it essentially a beige, so it won't be particularly noticeable. The grayer the shirt, the more of a background neutral it becomes and the better a green tie would work. To tie it together (so to speak), a pattern that mixes blue and green would do nicely.

Comment

I’d do a white shirt. Adding in essentially a fourth color: blue, purple and white from tie and then a yellow shirt is a lot in my opinion.

Comment

I realize the picture is misleading because it already has a tie in it, but I’m asking about a green tie and light yellow shirt with that suit.

Comment

It depends on your personal style. Yellow could work, but would would veer the look towards the trad-preppy end of the spectrum. If that's what you're going for, then great. White or pale blue would be a safer choice.

Our boy Benedict is rocking that knit tie. A good look to steal.

Comment

I'm not a fan of yellow shirts at all TBH.
                Ben

Comment

I have a personal rule (which I'm sure I occasionally break) where I try to stick with only one non-neutral colour in an outfit. In your case the suit it already somewhat colourful veering away from the standard navy or grey. If you did go with a green tie, which could work, I would stick with the most neutral of shirts, which is white.

Green and yellow are so close in colour that I don't feel they work well together (kind of like wearing a pink shirt and purple tie...although a light blue shirt and navy tie is completely classic). I also personally feel like ecru veers towards being not that formal, while white is pretty well the standard formal shirt colour, especially if you're going to something like a wedding. Enjoy the event.

Comment

white or light gre(a)y shirt, rock the greenest tie you want man.
                    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      I'm not a fan of yellow shirts at all TBH.
                      same. For dress shirts I stick to white or light blue as the base color. If i want something different I go for a pattern on a white shirt. Like a gingham, tattersal, or stripe.

anything else makes me flash back to the boxed tie sets my grandparents bought me from Uptons. For you youngsters, thats like the 90's version of Kohls.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                        same. For dress shirts I stick to white or light blue as the base color. If i want something different I go for a pattern on a white shirt. Like a gingham, tattersal, or stripe.

anything else makes me flash back to the boxed tie sets my grandparents bought me from Uptons. For you youngsters, thats like the 90's version of Kohls.
                        I always think to Dwight from the office. Yes his was more mustard but it’s ruined the idea of yellow shirts. Also my grade school dress shirts were a yellow. Had my fill haha

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Here is the inspiration.

I’ll see what it looks like in person and make a game time decision.

Comment

Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
                            Thanks for the feedback. Here is the inspiration.

I’ll see what it looks like in person and make a game time decision.

Perhaps it's my screen but you'd have talk fast to call that a yellow shirt. It sure looks beige to me, and a pretty pale one at that. As such it's a neutral suitable for being the background to any colour, as rental apartment walls will attest.

I'd be more concerned about sufficient contrast between skin tone and the shirt. The pictured gentleman is both tanned and a little ruddy, but someone who is pale or has a yellow skin tone could look off.

Comment

Just catching up with this thread... I have to take the side of "no to yellow shirt," at least with your suit choice and a green tie. If you really want to go with something that's not white, I would suggest a very pale blue, something that wouldn't compete with the blue of the suit.

But let me veer off in a different direction: you said this wedding is going to be in Santa Cruz. How familiar are you with the area and the general vibe? Are you close friends of the bride or groom, or maybe a member of the wedding party? What's the location of the ceremony—is it taking place indoors or outdoors? Country club or beach? I ask all these questions because I attended a wedding there (my wife's sister) nine years ago, and I was truly shocked at the clothes people showed up in—I swear to you that I'm not exaggerating when I say that the other guests generally looked like they had literally grabbed something off the bedroom floor and thrown it on. Now, this particular ceremony was outdoors, and my sister-in-law's friends are generally of a more crunchy sort than I'm typically around—I am a lifelong New Englander and nearly a decade older than her, plus I grew up at a time when attending a wedding meant getting seriously dressed up, and no other alternative EVER entered your mind. My point is, if possible you should try to scope things out ahead of time, because as nice as your planned outfit seems, you might end up feeling very out of place in it. In my case I was wearing a cotton sport jacket, bright colored striped shirt, and light stone chinos, and I still felt overdressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X