Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What brand do I need to check a jacket or blazer for a skinny guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What brand do I need to check a jacket or blazer for a skinny guy?

Hello everyone!
    I am trying to find a jacket or a blazer that fits my skinny boyfriend.
    He is 28 and 5'7''. He wears 14.5/33 for his dress shirt and 28/32 or 28/30 for his dress pants.
    He has broad shoulder and skinny waist. He tried Jcrew and Banana Republic size 38 and they both looked like he was wearing his dad's suit. He got a new job and they requires to wear him the business casual and he has nothing to wear on top of his shirt for now.. Do you have any better idea than a jacket or blazer? Can you please help me? Btw, here is near gulf coast, so the weather is hot hot hot until like October but the offices are soooooo cold.
    Help me, please!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    He says he is 5'8'' and about 125 lb.
    Last edited by gamelove; July 29, 2019, 04:07 PM.

what was off on the fit? sleeves too long? shoulders too broad? he may need a 36R or even a 36S. Both of those stores carry them but not usually in the store. You might have to order online.

Comment

If he wears a 14.5 shirt then a 38 jacket is most likely too big, a 14.5 shirt is equivalent to extra small and a 38 jacket is equivalent to a medium. For reference I wear a 15 or 15.5 shirt and a 36R jacket, sometimes a 38R jacket. Back when I was skinny enough to wear a 14.5 shirt I was in 34 - 36 for jacket size.
      Ben

Comment

It fits the shoulder(still a bit big), but the chest and stomach area was too big when he adjust it, like too much fabric hanging in there. Do you know the brands that carries 36? I only know H&M or Zara may have the size but not sure what other brands would carry.

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
        what was off on the fit? sleeves too long? shoulders too broad? he may need a 36R or even a 36S. Both of those stores carry them but not usually in the store. You might have to order online.

Comment

This is very good to know in terms of sizing. Where do you shop? Do you prefer any brand that you fond of?

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          If he wears a 14.5 shirt then a 38 jacket is most likely too big, a 14.5 shirt is equivalent to extra small and a 38 jacket is equivalent to a medium. For reference I wear a 15 or 15.5 shirt and a 36R jacket, sometimes a 38R jacket. Back when I was skinny enough to wear a 14.5 shirt I was in 34 - 36 for jacket size.

Comment

Jcrew carries 36s, even 34 in some jackets. Bonobos has 36s as well. So does Spier and Mackay I believe. His height is in the range for a short size. If the 38 is big in the shoulders he needs to size down.

Comment

Originally posted by basicbutch View Post
              Jcrew carries 36s, even 34 in some jackets. Bonobos has 36s as well. So does Spier and Mackay I believe. His height is in the range for a short size. If the 38 is big in the shoulders he needs to size down.
              yeah, this. You should be able to get plenty of options from all the regular sources, you just might have to order online.

Comment

I wear a 15 neck 32/33 shirt (I prefer the Nordrstrom's Smartcare dress shirts) and a 36R jacket (I prefer the Ludlow options from J Crew). For reference, I'm 28, roughly 160lbs, and 5'9"-10". I usually get my ties from the Tie Bar, if you're also looking for those as well.

Comment

Jackets can be taken in through the waist/midsection by a tailor or seamstress - most places that do alterations are capable of that kind of garment surgery. Issues that are difficult to impossible to fix with alterations are: incorrect fit in the shoulders, collar gap (this can be a function of a jacket not fitting properly in the shoulders, but there are other causes), and jacket length (i.e. where the jacket ends relative to his torso/posterior). Sleeves that are too long are a very easy fix, but jacket torso length is pretty much impossible to fix without making the jacket look all out of proportion. Having a jacket taken in through the midsection is a little more complicated than sleeve length alterations but people have it done pretty regularly (men do for suit and sport coat jackets and lots of women who wear pant suits have it done too). There are limits to how much can be removed and still have the jacket look right, but he may be within those limits.

If you can find something that fits him properly off the rack in those three non-fixable areas (shoulders, body length and there's no collar gap issue) I would leave the tags on the jacket and keep track of the receipt, and then take it to a place you trust that does alterations and see if they think they can make it fit properly though the body with tailoring. If they say no way we can remove enough fabric then you'll need to keep shopping around, but if they seem comfortable the alterations could make the jacket look a lot better on his frame. If J Crew and Banana Republic don't work maybe go to Nordys or another department store where he can try on a bunch of different brands to find the one that fits his physique closest to perfect.

For reference, I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs., and wear a 38 in J Crew Ludlow fit jackets and Brooks Brothers Regent fit jackets (my BB regent fit shirt size is 14.5 32/33). If I went any smaller in the J Crew Ludlow I'm pretty sure I'd look like Chris Farley in David Spade's jacket.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

At 5'7" and in a 14.5 neck he's looking at 36Short for jackets, but getting him properly measured would help.

There are video guides aplenty, or you could follow the worn guide on a site such as spiermackay.com. With waist/chest/shoulder measurements we'd have an easier time recommending which fit from what brand would work.

At 5'10" I wear similar sizes to your boyfriend, albeit usually in a 36Regular from Spier & Mackay (contemporary fit), or 36S from J.Crew or J.Crew Factory (Thompson). Banana Republic 36S Modern cut may work, but it's not a good value, nor are the various department store brands such as white-label Calvin Klein. Watch out for polyester linings, and if the lining material isn't stated you can safely assume it is polyester.

When it comes to suit jackets, often it's a matter of finding something that fits reasonably well and then taking it to a tailor to make it fit correctly. I have to get the waist taken in, upper back let out, and arms shortened. Trousers always have the waist taken in, especially when buying a full suit as the paired pants are typically only a six-inch drop from the jacket (36R >> 30W). I'm even starting to get there with my shirts, having the sides taken in or darts added to get rid of fabric billowing around the waist. In short, find a good tailor.

Men don't have the range of options that women do for formality. For us, it's basically defined by how much of a suit is worn. Business casual is also ill-defined, so a waistcoat/vest or sweater over the shirt may or may not work in his particular office. A plain blazer is probably his best bet, especially in navy as it's so classic a man can wear it multiple times a week without anyone noticing (seriously, a news anchor wore the same plain suit for a year without one viewer or co-worker commenting; he was making a point about the constant wardrobe criticism his female co-anchor received).

Further reading suggested: https://dappered.com/2017/01/how-to-...ur-first-suit/

And since you're being kind enough to help him with suiting up, have you checked his shoes?

Comment

Originally posted by basicbutch View Post
                      Ok I see, I didn't realize J crew carry smaller than 38 or 36. I will check these stores, too.

Comment

Originally posted by rd27 View Post
                        I wear a 15 neck 32/33 shirt (I prefer the Nordrstrom's Smartcare dress shirts) and a 36R jacket (I prefer the Ludlow options from J Crew). For reference, I'm 28, roughly 160lbs, and 5'9"-10". I usually get my ties from the Tie Bar, if you're also looking for those as well.
                        I wasn't sure if the nordstrom brand is good value but I will check it as well.

Comment

Oh boy.. I didn't think about too much of the jacket length or collar gap.
                          There is a nordstrom rack here but I may still need to order it online. I will also check the shops that you mentioned.

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                          Jackets can be taken in through the waist/midsection by a tailor or seamstress - most places that do alterations are capable of that kind of garment surgery. Issues that are difficult to impossible to fix with alterations are: incorrect fit in the shoulders, collar gap (this can be a function of a jacket not fitting properly in the shoulders, but there are other causes), and jacket length (i.e. where the jacket ends relative to his torso/posterior). Sleeves that are too long are a very easy fix, but jacket torso length is pretty much impossible to fix without making the jacket look all out of proportion. Having a jacket taken in through the midsection is a little more complicated than sleeve length alterations but people have it done pretty regularly (men do for suit and sport coat jackets and lots of women who wear pant suits have it done too). There are limits to how much can be removed and still have the jacket look right, but he may be within those limits.

If you can find something that fits him properly off the rack in those three non-fixable areas (shoulders, body length and there's no collar gap issue) I would leave the tags on the jacket and keep track of the receipt, and then take it to a place you trust that does alterations and see if they think they can make it fit properly though the body with tailoring. If they say no way we can remove enough fabric then you'll need to keep shopping around, but if they seem comfortable the alterations could make the jacket look a lot better on his frame. If J Crew and Banana Republic don't work maybe go to Nordys or another department store where he can try on a bunch of different brands to find the one that fits his physique closest to perfect.

For reference, I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs., and wear a 38 in J Crew Ludlow fit jackets and Brooks Brothers Regent fit jackets (my BB regent fit shirt size is 14.5 32/33). If I went any smaller in the J Crew Ludlow I'm pretty sure I'd look like Chris Farley in David Spade's jacket.

Comment

I should get the measurement tape first to measure him.. I just didn't expect to find clothes for him to be this tricky, I probably need to ask around to find a good one cause I didn't need one.
                            About the shoes, I picked him a couple of cole haan shoes from nordstrom rack and it is still on the way to home. I picked each basic oxford in black and brown, one brown loafer. honestly, at this moment, shoes are the least concern for the whole outfit. xD

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
                            At 5'7" and in a 14.5 neck he's looking at 36Short for jackets, but getting him properly measured would help.

There are video guides aplenty, or you could follow the worn guide on a site such as spiermackay.com. With waist/chest/shoulder measurements we'd have an easier time recommending which fit from what brand would work.

At 5'10" I wear similar sizes to your boyfriend, albeit usually in a 36Regular from Spier & Mackay (contemporary fit), or 36S from J.Crew or J.Crew Factory (Thompson). Banana Republic 36S Modern cut may work, but it's not a good value, nor are the various department store brands such as white-label Calvin Klein. Watch out for polyester linings, and if the lining material isn't stated you can safely assume it is polyester.

When it comes to suit jackets, often it's a matter of finding something that fits reasonably well and then taking it to a tailor to make it fit correctly. I have to get the waist taken in, upper back let out, and arms shortened. Trousers always have the waist taken in, especially when buying a full suit as the paired pants are typically only a six-inch drop from the jacket (36R >> 30W). I'm even starting to get there with my shirts, having the sides taken in or darts added to get rid of fabric billowing around the waist. In short, find a good tailor.

Men don't have the range of options that women do for formality. For us, it's basically defined by how much of a suit is worn. Business casual is also ill-defined, so a waistcoat/vest or sweater over the shirt may or may not work in his particular office. A plain blazer is probably his best bet, especially in navy as it's so classic a man can wear it multiple times a week without anyone noticing (seriously, a news anchor wore the same plain suit for a year without one viewer or co-worker commenting; he was making a point about the constant wardrobe criticism his female co-anchor received).

Further reading suggested: https://dappered.com/2017/01/how-to-...ur-first-suit/

And since you're being kind enough to help him with suiting up, have you checked his shoes?

Comment

Brooks Brothers carries jackets in size 36 and they have a slim (Milano) fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X