Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

inexpensive watch suggestions for wife

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • inexpensive watch suggestions for wife

    Hey folks, my wife has finally come around and admitted that she could benefit by wearing a watch again. For whatever reason(s), she wants something (really) inexpensive, like around $15 USD. I think if I can show examples of something of better quality then she would take the bait. Maybe around $40 USD?

    Her preferences are: quartz movement, white (or light coloured neutral) face, no black case or strap, no metal bracelet, any water resistance would be a plus, not "sporty" looking. She's looking for something simple and versatile that can be worn with as many things as possible. Maybe that sounds too vague?

    I looked at amazon at a bunch of Casios but none jumped out at her. I suggested a women's Timex Weekender but she wasn't interested in that look.

    Any advice or suggestions?

    I am secretly hoping she gets bit by the watch bug and shows further interest

  • #2
    Swatch.

    Reliable quartz movement. Nice variety of colours. Should fit your price point of $40 USD. Good gateway drug.

    Comment


    • #3
      Perhaps try the Timex Metropolitan 34mm and if she likes that size, pitch the Timex Marlin rose gold's hand winding mechanism as being the eco-friendly version?

      Comment


      • #4
        Check out Nordstrom rack in store or online. They always have lots of quartz watches in stock. Might find one that catches your/her eye that checks off all the boxes. There was a 34mm Tissot quartz online a few days back marked down to $35, but it sold out before I could get to the checkout process.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
          I am secretly hoping she gets bit by the watch bug and shows further interest
          I cannot overstate this: No. No you do not want that... If that happens, your wallet will take a hit, and she will always be wearing the watch you wanted to wear that day, because she "loves the way a NATO goes with her outfit that day..."

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks everyone! I should have enough information to find something acceptable.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
              I cannot overstate this: No. No you do not want that... If that happens, your wallet will take a hit, and she will always be wearing the watch you wanted to wear that day, because she "loves the way a NATO goes with her outfit that day..."
              I'll roll the dice on that one.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
                I'll roll the dice on that one.
                Full disclosure: I might have been reliving my own experience a bit too vividly. Fortunately it all changed when I bought her an Applewatch.

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you could get her up around $100, I think women really like this style

                  https://www.amazon.com/Mondaine-Wome...ref=mp_s_a_1_1



                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I bought my wife a simple seiko for mothers day a few years ago and she wears it all the time. Do not let the strap limit your decision. you can easily swap that after you get it. Especially in womens watches, that will really limit you if you dont think of it flexibly. Just make sure you can tell the lugs aren't integrated or a super weird size. as for price, why does she have to know? Just buy it for her as a gift. If she loves it, she loves it. Mine has no idea how much the seiko cost. It was something like this but I caught it on a good sale for about $50-60.

                    https://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-sxdg61.html

                    Do you have a fossil outlet store near you? If so, go check them out. the outlets have plenty on that price range. Store prices are different than online. This is just an example of something she might like.

                    https://www.fossil.com/us/en/product...u-es4590p.html


                    also, dont force the issue. I wanted my wife to be into watches too so that I would have a thing I could easily buy her. 6 watches later and she still just wears the silver one. Get your wife the $15 watch at walmart, let it break and then she might be up for the $50 tier.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                      I bought my wife a simple seiko for mothers day a few years ago and she wears it all the time. Do not let the strap limit your decision. you can easily swap that after you get it. Especially in womens watches, that will really limit you if you dont think of it flexibly. Just make sure you can tell the lugs aren't integrated or a super weird size. as for price, why does she have to know? Just buy it for her as a gift. If she loves it, she loves it. Mine has no idea how much the seiko cost. It was something like this but I caught it on a good sale for about $50-60.

                      https://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-sxdg61.html

                      Do you have a fossil outlet store near you? If so, go check them out. the outlets have plenty on that price range. Store prices are different than online. This is just an example of something she might like.

                      https://www.fossil.com/us/en/product...u-es4590p.html


                      also, dont force the issue. I wanted my wife to be into watches too so that I would have a thing I could easily buy her. 6 watches later and she still just wears the silver one. Get your wife the $15 watch at walmart, let it break and then she might be up for the $50 tier.
                      Thanks for the information. There's a Fossil outlet close to me that I should check out.

                      Several years ago I asked her if she would like a watch but she insisted that she was fine without one. It was only recently that she brought the topic back up on her own. I think having her experiment with a $15 Walmart watch might be wise for a variety of reasons. The results from that will help form the next course of action.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
                        Thanks for the information. There's a Fossil outlet close to me that I should check out.

                        Several years ago I asked her if she would like a watch but she insisted that she was fine without one. It was only recently that she brought the topic back up on her own. I think having her experiment with a $15 Walmart watch might be wise for a variety of reasons. The results from that will help form the next course of action.
                        Fossil outlet is also a great place to pick up some watch straps. Got a leather/canvas one my wife loves that matches her timex perfectly for less than $10 a while back.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
                          Fossil outlet is also a great place to pick up some watch straps. Got a leather/canvas one my wife loves that matches her timex perfectly for less than $10 a while back.
                          Good to know! I'm now interested to go in and check them out! I've walked by the store maybe a hundred times but never entered because of preconceived thoughts formed from watches I remember from high school 15-20 years ago. I probably shouldn't have been so close-minded about them all this time.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
                            Fossil outlet is also a great place to pick up some watch straps. Got a leather/canvas one my wife loves that matches her timex perfectly for less than $10 a while back.
                            their straps are actually pretty darn good.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
                              Good to know! I'm now interested to go in and check them out! I've walked by the store maybe a hundred times but never entered because of preconceived thoughts formed from watches I remember from high school 15-20 years ago. I probably shouldn't have been so close-minded about them all this time.
                              Fossil isnt a terrible option even though watch snobs look down on them. If you have a nearby store, the warranty is great. they replace batteries under warranty. Last time I went in they gave me like 5 sets of the quick release spring bars just because I asked and said I had a fossil at home...which I did. For a beater or to try a new style, they are pretty cool. Most of them are too big for me personally though, unfortunately. My daughter still gives me crap for selling my Del Rey panda and I dont blame her. I regret it for sure.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X