Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First watch advice?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First watch advice?

    Hi everyone,

    I'm looking for watch suggestions. I've never really been into watches and the clock on my phone is perfectly fine for telling the time. At this point, I'm trying to avoid constantly having my phone out (or even around), so I'm looking to buy my first watch (well, first since I was a teenager).

    Basic criteria:
    - I want to make sure it's dressy enough to be worn to job interviews.
    - I like leather straps and hate dive watches.
    - I prefer a clean, minimal look.
    - I don't want a very large one. My instinct would be something like the Orient Bambino. I love that look. The downside is that my wrists are not particularly large and the Bambino's face might be a bit too large. Something similar, but slightly smaller, would be ideal.

    I also tend to prefer brown leather straps over black ones, but I could be convinced to go black. I work in tech and tech-adjacent industries, so my interviews aren't quite as formal as some, so I'm not always expected to wear black oxfords to interviews or anything, so matching shoes isn't a huge concern.

    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

  • #2
    Budget? Also straps can be easily swapped out, so no need to be too concerned about that.

    Comment


    • #3
      First watch should be a Timex to see if you like wearing watches...then go spend more money if you want to. Paying $100 for it to sit around isn't appealing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Another good budget first watch is Citizen. The eco drive models can be found on joma shop in that range. They are battery powered so the cost of ownership is lower.

        I’d also probably lean towards a neutral or blue dial to go with most things. But that’s something I tend to notice not sure about others.

        Welcome to the group. It might take some getting used to but as mentioned it’s a much better option then referencing a cell during a meeting and for me tends to complete an outfit. I feel lost when I don’t wear my watch.

        Comment


        • #5
          There are a lot of different Bambino styles out there so I'm not sure which one appeals to you. However, for a small, simple, inexpensive, minimalist dress watch on a leather strap, I think this particular Citizen is hard to beat.

          The leather strap it comes on is black and kinda junky but it's 20mm so there is a whole world of replacement options available to you. It uses a solar-powered battery so you shouldn't need to replace the battery much if at all over the lifetime of the watch.

          Ben

          Comment


          • #6
            So many great Casio and Seiko 5 options in that size range too. And yeah, you can out a strap of your choosing on whatever watch. I try to buy watches with metal bracelets and then add leather of my choice. It's almost impossible to get a metal bracelets that matches up after the fact.

            Also the orientation 3 star line.




            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              Take a look at a Timex Weekender. I think it fits exactly what you want.

              Comment


              • #8
                So many great Seiko 5 and citizen ecodrive choices as a cheap first watch.

                This was my first automatic:

                https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JI83O4..._6YxfDbAK03SC8

                Works great on steel, or on a strap. I rarely wear it, having acquired much nicer stuff, but any I do put it on, I'm reminded that it really is a nice little thing for the nothing price.

                If I can make a strap color suggestion: mid-grey or navy (but not too dark, needs to be easily recognizable as blue). Gets you around the issue of matching to brown or black shoes, as they'll go with both.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                  Another good budget first watch is Citizen. The eco drive models can be found on joma shop in that range. They are battery powered so the cost of ownership is lower.

                  I’d also probably lean towards a neutral or blue dial to go with most things. But that’s something I tend to notice not sure about others.

                  Welcome to the group. It might take some getting used to but as mentioned it’s a much better option then referencing a cell during a meeting and for me tends to complete an outfit. I feel lost when I don’t wear my watch.
                  Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  There are a lot of different Bambino styles out there so I'm not sure which one appeals to you. However, for a small, simple, inexpensive, minimalist dress watch on a leather strap, I think this particular Citizen is hard to beat.

                  The leather strap it comes on is black and kinda junky but it's 20mm so there is a whole world of replacement options available to you. It uses a solar-powered battery so you shouldn't need to replace the battery much if at all over the lifetime of the watch.

                  I'm going to chime in and suggest a Citizen Eco Drive--I've had three and my first two lasted 15 years.

                  Most of them are inexpensive, they do not require replacing batteries, and they do not require winding.

                  And they make so many styles, you're bound to find one you like. Do a search on Amazon.
                  WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jikaasik View Post
                    Hi everyone,

                    I'm looking for watch suggestions. I've never really been into watches and the clock on my phone is perfectly fine for telling the time. At this point, I'm trying to avoid constantly having my phone out (or even around), so I'm looking to buy my first watch (well, first since I was a teenager).

                    Basic criteria:
                    - I want to make sure it's dressy enough to be worn to job interviews.
                    - I like leather straps and hate dive watches.
                    - I prefer a clean, minimal look.
                    - I don't want a very large one. My instinct would be something like the Orient Bambino. I love that look. The downside is that my wrists are not particularly large and the Bambino's face might be a bit too large. Something similar, but slightly smaller, would be ideal.

                    I also tend to prefer brown leather straps over black ones, but I could be convinced to go black. I work in tech and tech-adjacent industries, so my interviews aren't quite as formal as some, so I'm not always expected to wear black oxfords to interviews or anything, so matching shoes isn't a huge concern.

                    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
                    I think the Bambino is a great option. As a small wrister (6.25"), the watch hits the perfect sweet spot on the wrist. Additionally, it covers a lot of bases. Great with a suit and in casual situations.

                    Bought mine on the grey market (watchuseek) for a steal.
                    Not my photo.

                    Good luck....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Get something cheap to make sure you even like the feel of wearing watch. Perhaps a Casio Worldtimer?

                      https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ca...ue-proposition

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have both the Rodina and Bulova with brown straps, and like both of them. Not overly expensive, but not so cheap you won't know if you like wearing a nice watch.
                        All the info -> https://dappered.com/2015/07/10-simp...-free-watches/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by windmill View Post
                          I have both the Rodina and Bulova with brown straps, and like both of them. Not overly expensive, but not so cheap you won't know if you like wearing a nice watch.
                          All the info -> https://dappered.com/2015/07/10-simp...-free-watches/
                          Ugh at the nomos homage. When there are so many great budget watches that have their own unique styling, buying a homage is just cringeworthy, imo.

                          Of course, that's imo. I'd just steer a noob away from them because they may well never wear that homage again once they get into watches.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My vote goes for a Daniel Wellington. Quartz so it will keep good time. Minimalist so you can wear it to a job interview. And you can likely find one in your price range.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Some good suggestions, I think you'd be good with any mentioned. My first watch purchase in a long time was the Bambino about 4-5 years ago and it did the job perfectly at a great price point. I won't pretend to know your body type or wrist size but I would be very surprised if you put it on and it looked too large on your wrist. It's just not that type of watch, I feel it's got a low-medium profile and is a very wearable 40mm.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X