Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First watch advice?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Kurps View Post
    Some good suggestions, I think you'd be good with any mentioned. My first watch purchase in a long time was the Bambino about 4-5 years ago and it did the job perfectly at a great price point. I won't pretend to know your body type or wrist size but I would be very surprised if you put it on and it looked too large on your wrist. It's just not that type of watch, I feel it's got a low-medium profile and is a very wearable 40mm.
    all depends. I like the idea of the bambino but i have tried them on and I find the proportions to be odd. Personal preference. I want to like it. This one would be right up my alley. I just cant get down with the watch on my wrist.

    https://www.orientwatchusa.com/colle...cts/fac00009n0

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      all depends. I like the idea of the bambino but i have tried them on and I find the proportions to be odd. Personal preference. I want to like it. This one would be right up my alley. I just cant get down with the watch on my wrist.

      https://www.orientwatchusa.com/colle...cts/fac00009n0
      I think that is the model I actually have. I just put it on as I was running out of the house to get a look at it, it’s been a while since I’ve worn it. Not sure of my wrist size but I’m a fairly big guy, 6’0 210 size 44L jacket size, for a little reference of my wrist and arm size. I guess I can see it being slightly large on a much smaller wrist.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment


        #18
        Am I the only one who thinks Orient makes nice looking watches but just can't get past the ugly logo on all of their watches?
        To OP: I throw in with many of the posters above--Timex or Citizen.

        Comment


          #19
          Thanks for all the helpful responses! I'll look into all these!

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Kurps View Post
            I think that is the model I actually have. I just put it on as I was running out of the house to get a look at it, it’s been a while since I’ve worn it. Not sure of my wrist size but I’m a fairly big guy, 6’0 210 size 44L jacket size, for a little reference of my wrist and arm size. I guess I can see it being slightly large on a much smaller wrist.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I think the case size is great. I just think the dome is a littel too high. or maybe it needs a little more metal around the dial. I dont know. I just didnt liek it on my wrist. I am 5'11" and 155 so I am a smaller guy.

            Comment


              #21
              I have to agree with LBD on the Citizen Eco-Drive he suggested. I have the same model (in brown) and I get compliments on it all the time.

              I love Bambinos (particularly the newest model), but I found the 40mm case to be slightly too big at times. Just something to consider.

              Comment


                #22
                I hated dive watches - until I got into watches.

                Start with what suits you, but keep an open mind. I have a 3 watch collection now - 2 are divers and one is a GMT (but looks like a dive watch).

                If you had a few dollars ($300-450 range), Hamilton khaki (field watch) or a Jazzmaster (dress watch) come on leather straps. Beautiful watches. I believe they both come in 38mm size which is a solid size for smaller wrists.

                I’m in Tech too. 6 1/4” wrists for reference


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  #23
                  All of the advice above is great. I also endorse the Orient Bambino and Seiko 5.

                  Generally, a few principles to live by:

                  1) I strongly recommend a mechanical watch (automatic or manual wind) over a quartz. If you're becoming more and more of a watch enthusiast, then appreciation of a mechanical watch and its movement is a must. Except with respect to really high end high accuracy quartz watches (which I assume aren't in your budget), there's very little under the hood in a $500 quartz watch that is different from a $20 quartz watch--it's purely aesthetics and marketing. Meanwhile, a mechanical watch is a much better gateway drug into appreciating the intricacies of watchmaking, and it will force you to interact with the watch more (winding it when you're bored, re-setting the time if you haven't worn it in a few days, etc.) Also, the sweep on a mechanical watch is just much cooler to look at than a quartz watch. Accordingly, avoid Daniel Wellington, MVMT, and other fashion watch brands. They're cheap quartz watches from China that could be selling (and often do sell, on AliExpress) at 10% of the price.

                  2) For a first watch, I would avoid a homage watch. I know, there are plenty of people that like homage watches and have gotten into arguments with me about it over these forums, but if you want something simple and understated, then avoid getting something that screams "oh, it's a copycat of a Rolex, but cheaper."

                  3) If you don't love the strap a watch comes with, replacing it is 99% of the time quite easy and can either be done by at a mall kiosk, watch repair shop, or yourself (even without tools, if you're not afraid to improvise).

                  4) I don't know your budget, but $100 will get you a perfectly fine automatic watch (e.g., from Seiko or Orient) that is dressy enough for professional settings. Be wary about pricing beyond that - there are plenty of companies out there (especially microbrands and startups) that have lots of positive reviews online but sell at an outrageous markup. Start modest, and then if you catch the watch bug, you can start spending $500, $1000, $5000, and so on for a watch.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Pborkstrom View Post
                    I hated dive watches - until I got into watches.

                    Start with what suits you, but keep an open mind. I have a 3 watch collection now - 2 are divers and one is a GMT (but looks like a dive watch).

                    If you had a few dollars ($300-450 range), Hamilton khaki (field watch) or a Jazzmaster (dress watch) come on leather straps. Beautiful watches. I believe they both come in 38mm size which is a solid size for smaller wrists.

                    I’m in Tech too. 6 1/4” wrists for reference


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    At that price range, I think the Mido Baroncelli is a very worthy competitor to the Jazzmaster. Just giving another option.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Pborkstrom View Post
                      I hated dive watches - until I got into watches.

                      Start with what suits you, but keep an open mind. I have a 3 watch collection now - 2 are divers and one is a GMT (but looks like a dive watch).

                      If you had a few dollars ($300-450 range), Hamilton khaki (field watch) or a Jazzmaster (dress watch) come on leather straps. Beautiful watches. I believe they both come in 38mm size which is a solid size for smaller wrists.

                      I’m in Tech too. 6 1/4” wrists for reference


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      don't want to derail the topic, but i have the same wrist size as you do and have trouble finding watches, especially divers. what are your 3 watches?

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                        don't want to derail the topic, but i have the same wrist size as you do and have trouble finding watches, especially divers. what are your 3 watches?
                        I have the 36.25mm midsize Seamaster 212.30.36.20.03.001. Pricey but I can not recommend this watch enough. Wears small but has a sophistication to it. Looks awesome on smaller wrists.

                        Seiko SKX013. ItÂ’s 38mm. Although it looks like a chunky watch, it wears small due to the way the lugs curve down. DoesnÂ’t look overly chunky on the wrist whatsoever. I have it on a strapcode oyster bracelet which makes it wear slightly larger, but the stock jubilee bracelet gives it an even more elegant fit. Some like the 7S26 movement but the one I have kinda sucks for accuracy.

                        Steinhart Ocean One 39. Best $500 watch IÂ’ve handled. It feels like a luxury watch. It is a homage to the Rolex Pepsi GMT. It sits low on the wrist, but sits a little wide. This is the watch that wears the biggest of the 3 but itÂ’s not bad. I have it in regular rotation. Steinhart also make a Submariner homage as well. Really accurate. IÂ’d eyeball it at +4-5s/d.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Pborkstrom View Post
                          I have the 36.25mm midsize Seamaster 212.30.36.20.03.001. Pricey but I can not recommend this watch enough. Wears small but has a sophistication to it. Looks awesome on smaller wrists.

                          Seiko SKX013. ItÂ’s 38mm. Although it looks like a chunky watch, it wears small due to the way the lugs curve down. DoesnÂ’t look overly chunky on the wrist whatsoever. I have it on a strapcode oyster bracelet which makes it wear slightly larger, but the stock jubilee bracelet gives it an even more elegant fit. Some like the 7S26 movement but the one I have kinda sucks for accuracy.

                          Steinhart Ocean One 39. Best $500 watch IÂ’ve handled. It feels like a luxury watch. It is a homage to the Rolex Pepsi GMT. It sits low on the wrist, but sits a little wide. This is the watch that wears the biggest of the 3 but itÂ’s not bad. I have it in regular rotation. Steinhart also make a Submariner homage as well. Really accurate. IÂ’d eyeball it at +4-5s/d.
                          It's funny how personal watch fit is. I have the same steinhart and don't like the way it wears. The lugs don't curve enough. Quality is nice though, I give it that.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Pborkstrom View Post
                            I have the 36.25mm midsize Seamaster 212.30.36.20.03.001. Pricey but I can not recommend this watch enough. Wears small but has a sophistication to it. Looks awesome on smaller wrists.

                            Seiko SKX013. ItÂ’s 38mm. Although it looks like a chunky watch, it wears small due to the way the lugs curve down. DoesnÂ’t look overly chunky on the wrist whatsoever. I have it on a strapcode oyster bracelet which makes it wear slightly larger, but the stock jubilee bracelet gives it an even more elegant fit. Some like the 7S26 movement but the one I have kinda sucks for accuracy.

                            Steinhart Ocean One 39. Best $500 watch IÂ’ve handled. It feels like a luxury watch. It is a homage to the Rolex Pepsi GMT. It sits low on the wrist, but sits a little wide. This is the watch that wears the biggest of the 3 but itÂ’s not bad. I have it in regular rotation. Steinhart also make a Submariner homage as well. Really accurate. IÂ’d eyeball it at +4-5s/d.
                            I also also have the same steinhart and the lugs are too wide (they drift off my top wrist at certain angles). I still have it but am selling it once I have some free time. The really good fitting watch for me is the Christopher ward trident mk3. Wish it were 2mm thinner but it wears so good. I may go back and buy 1 or 2 more.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                              I also also have the same steinhart and the lugs are too wide (they drift off my top wrist at certain angles). I still have it but am selling it once I have some free time. The really good fitting watch for me is the Christopher ward trident mk3. Wish it were 2mm thinner but it wears so good. I may go back and buy 1 or 2 more.
                              Your mention of CW made me go to their site and discover this beauty: https://www.christopherward.com/watc...moonglow-range

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                                don't want to derail the topic, but i have the same wrist size as you do and have trouble finding watches, especially divers. what are your 3 watches?
                                I think the Seiko SKX0013 is a great dive watch option for someone with small wrists. Perfect for warmer weather months imo.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X