Beach hat for vacation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beach hat for vacation?

Mexico beach vacation in a week and got to wondering if I need a hat. Will primarily be at pool and beach. I’m not a hat guy and haven’t worn one since my junior year of college 16-17 years ago. I’ll be a swimsuit most of the time or least when I might hypothetically ‘need’ a hat.

I have a full head of hair, so I’m not worried about my head getting burned in the first five minutes. If I were to get a hat, I likely would not wear it at home regardless, so I’m not concerned about the reuse rate. At the same, I don’t want to be “that guy” and fail in an attempt to get a non baseball style hat. With that said, is something like this stupid? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5TQH1R...ing=UTF8&psc=1 Is that a “that guy” hat?

Other suggestions for similar or non-similar hats? I’m open to all styles that Dappered might approve of. Also open to the idea that I don’t need a hat and trying to find one being stupid.

I leave in a week, so any options would need to be able arrive by Tuesday. This Charlie Fedora kind of caught my eye - https://www.tilley.com/us_en/men/sho...h-leisure.html - but out of stock.
    Last edited by Pesape; June 20, 2019, 08:19 AM. Reason: Edit for clarity - meant to say I would NOT wear a hat at home

I wear a fedora ony vacations. Just enough brim to cover my ears. I want to get a Panama like you linked but I personally wouldn't wear it at home much so I have held off. This year it might happen though. I don't care about being that guy on vacay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

At least when we did the Mexico all inclusive vacations I brought a baseball cap I didn’t care about. It would get wet by the pool. Salt water if I wore it into the ocean. Etc.

To me it was about functionality at that point and I wouldn’t want to get a nicer hat all wet etc.

I think the amazon hat looked nice. Just depends your level of care if it gets wet etc.

Comment

Wear a baseball hat or you look like the weird tourist guy in a Fedora. Fedoras make you look old. Freddy Krueger wears a Fedora, Hannibal Lecter wears a panama hat. Don't be those guys. I live in a beach town, trust me.

Comment

To that point, I buy my vacation hats at places like tjmaxx, Nordstrom rack, Burlington for factory, etc and treat them as disposable. I wear them in the pool and everything. The most damage any of them have received has actually been during the actual travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO a Panama hat is something you wear with a breezy linen suit, not with a t-shirt and swim trunks.

That said, function over form for a beach vacation. A broad-brimmed hat is far better than just a baseball cap as it protects more of your face, ears, and neck from the sun as well as protecting your eyes from peripheral sunlight.

I rarely go to "the beach" but here at the lake or on the river I usually wear an unstylish Tilley hat for maximum sun protection. They may look cheesy but a Panama, bucket hat, cowboy hat, whatever is probably the practical choice.
            Last edited by LesserBlackDog; June 20, 2019, 11:54 AM.
            Ben

Comment

I agree with LBD. While not fashionable, function over form for the sun. While you may be "that guy" with a hat, you won't be "that other guy" who is sun burnt all to hell.

Comment

if the amazon fedora is in your size, grab it up. that's a good price on a hat that will still be stylish but whose demise wouldn't be mourned like an ultrafino.

sadly i'm a 7-5/8 so i had to snag a more aspensive model for our trip up to Boston.
                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Grab the Amazon fedora. It's a vacation. Relax. Enjoy yourself. Holidays, and beach holidays in particular are a time to just take it easy and wear something that you might not wear in your 'regular' life.

Comment

FWIW, if you can I would try to buy a hat in-person. Hats are like glasses in that how they look on you is almost completely dependent on how the size/shape complements the size/shape of your face, so it can be really difficult to shop for them online.
                    Ben

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        FWIW, if you can I would try to buy a hat in-person. Hats are like glasses in that how they look on you is almost completely dependent on how the size/shape complements the size/shape of your face, so it can be really difficult to shop for them online.
                        I’ve thought of this too with the same comparison. I like the idea of wayfarers and think they look cool online, but when I try them on, they just don’t work for me.

Comment

I'd recommend not wearing a baseball cap when visiting another country, unless you want everyone to know that you're American. We seem to be the only people that wear them with any sense of regularity.

Try something on in person that you like though. I'd say beach hats are more about function vs fashion, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                            agree. or at least make sure you can easily return/burn the cash if you hate it on your head.

Comment

Originally posted by rd27 View Post
                              I'd recommend not wearing a baseball cap when visiting another country, unless you want everyone to know that you're American. We seem to be the only people that wear them with any sense of regularity.

Try something on in person that you like though. I'd say beach hats are more about function vs fashion, to be honest.
                              I have no problem with everyone knowing I am American. I am actually proud to represent the American public in a manner that isnt a stereotype. And trust me, I see plenty of canadians, brits, scots, and irish wearing them when we go to mexico. The thing is you have to talk to them to find out. At glance some might assume "white guy with a cap, hes american". It helps that we are on some "fan" pages of the resort so we get to interact with them more than just seeing people at the buffet or in their loungers.

Of course I might need to clarify...if you specifically mean a cap from an actual baseball team, thats pretty american. If you mean the baseball style cap, thats pretty universal.

Comment

Working...
                              X