Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3piece
    replied
    If you think you look better with a tie on, then wear it. When everybody wears ill-fitting or badly looking clothes, you don't copy them, do you?

I'm in a tie-required-but-jacket-optional office. You bet I wear a full suit on or a sport coat.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    If you have to be without ties, can you at least increase the number of pockets for snacks?

Asking for a friend...

Leave a comment:

• whereismurder
    replied
    Personally, I would take the opportunity to purchase some fun patterned suits. I disagree with [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] that even non-traditional suits look strange without a tie. I think if you got something in a prince of whales check, houndstooth, or tattersall pattern tieless is a great option. Same goes for less formal suiting materials like linen or cotton.

Solid color traditional suiting looks so awkward without a tie, especially with a white shirt (no offense to the purveyor of this site). Patterned shirts would certainly help too, but keep rocking the tie until you get more creative with your suiting IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Hebrew Barrister
    replied
    Originally posted by Scofield View Post
    good, ties are antiquated and literally serve no functional purpose. everything else in mens wear serves at least some purpose. next up, we need to get rid of collars on dress shirts
    I'm mostly with you on ties. Not collars.

Leave a comment:

• Scofield
    replied
    good, ties are antiquated and literally serve no functional purpose. everything else in mens wear serves at least some purpose. next up, we need to get rid of collars on dress shirts

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    I have several waistcoats that I bought from JC. I used to wear them semi-regularly during the winter months, but last winter for the first time I didn't wear them. Not sure why...Oh and to answer your question I always wore them with a tie.

Leave a comment:

• Shade
    replied
    as an aside, I don't know how I feel about a waistcoat without a tie. Thoughts on that?

Leave a comment:

• Shade
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Yeah, you could be on to something there. My suits are on the more formal side. If I could find a more casual suit (if such a thing exists) then that might be a gateway drug to dressing without a tie.
    I think Suit Supply's entire line of suits falls more on the casual side. By casual, I mean contemporary and not traditional btw, and can see all of them being fine, sans tie.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Originally posted by joekloo View Post
    I think it depends on the suit. Sounds like your current suits may be on the more formal side and then I would agree that a tie may be needed. But, I actually really like the casual suit no tie look (linen suit or patch pockets / unstructured shoulders). I am on the shorter side and I think having the suit with consistent color sometimes looks better on me then having a different color sport coat that breaks up the lines.
    Yeah, you could be on to something there. My suits are on the more formal side. If I could find a more casual suit (if such a thing exists) then that might be a gateway drug to dressing without a tie.

Leave a comment:

• theplayerking
    replied
    It's pretty common in finance and law office in New York. Guys keep a stash of ties in their desk drawers for client meetings and take them off once a client leaves. I wear suits without a tie all the time. It's far better than when I worked for a financial firm that required a tie but not a suit. That was really stupid. A suit with out a tie can look elegant if it's well tailored. I also always wear a pocket square, which helps complete the look.

Leave a comment:

• 77Pat
    replied
    I only wear a suit around the city outside of work (IT, usually polo/ocbd and Chino/slacks). Usually only wear when I feel like dressing up a little, going to a museum or Broadway show. Generally don't wear a tie, similar to https://dappered.com/2018/03/in-revi...linen-un-suit/

Leave a comment:

• joekloo
    replied
    I think it depends on the suit. Sounds like your current suits may be on the more formal side and then I would agree that a tie may be needed. But, I actually really like the casual suit no tie look (linen suit or patch pockets / unstructured shoulders). I am on the shorter side and I think having the suit with consistent color sometimes looks better on me then having a different color sport coat that breaks up the lines.

Leave a comment:

• Galcobar
    replied
    I think I'd find going tieless to be more of a hassle, simply because I wouldn't be satisfied with a floppy open collar. Shopping for button-down collar dress shirts, or having to position magnets and collar stiffeners, would be more of a time-consuming annoyance than throwing on a tie (I'll admit to the bad habit of leaving my ties knotted).

Leave a comment:

• Tacitus
    replied
    Minority view here, but I see suit + no tie as being an intermediate half-step of formality between sports coat + slacks and suit + tie. I think that it looks fine as long as you avoid excessively bland (e.g. charcoal suit + white shirt) color combinations.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty solid in the tie wearing camp. It doesn't bother me and I feel like I am more put together.

[MENTION=13934]hockeysc23[/MENTION] I don't know how they informed us to be honest. I heard about it second hand some someone else. The higher ups though still wear ties, and I meet with them on a semi-regular basis, so for that reason alone I think wearing a tie is a good idea.
    Gotcha, I was curious how presented. In that situation I would still wear a tie. I consult for a government office and they sent us a memo indicating people need to remember to wear shirts with collars and no hiking boots ... it's the wild wild west out here. We've got from well-dressed, to bad pinstripe suits, to athletic team polos, to uniformed LEOs, to untucked hawaiian shirts and jeans.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X