"Dress" Polo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Dress" Polo?

Looking for recommendations for nicer polos that are long enough to be tucked in, preferably brands I can try on in-store like BR, J Crew, Bonobos, etc. I don't know if "dress" polos are a thing, but if they are that's what I'm looking for.

Just started a new job as in-house counsel. Coming from the law firm world, I figured I'd at least be wearing slacks and a dress shirt or OCBD, but turns out the standard dress for the executive team I report to is slacks plus basically a golf polo. I'd stick out like a sore thumb if I wore long sleeves. The performance fabrics in golf shirts don't work very well for me (100% poly = stanky), so I'm looking for something mostly cotton, which looks good tucked in.

Maybe BR Luxe Touch? My concern with those is shrinkage. I currently have Uniqlo button-down collar (nice, but a little too short to reliably stay tucked), JCF pique flex (ok, but the collar curls quite a bit), and a mish-mash of actual golf shirts that I could wear in a pinch.

Anything that fits well and has a button down collar.

Yeah that's not much help.

Comment

IMO polos look terrible tucked-in, especially if (like 99% of us) you have anything less than flawless six-pack abs. I would stick to short-sleeved button-up shirts, or wear long-sleeved shirts and roll up the sleeves.
      Ben

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... Brooks Brothers.

It is everything I've been wanting from a Ralph Lauren polo but they couldnt seem to get right. Material is 100% cotton and the pique weave looks fantastic. They have classic fits and colors, plus some trendier seasonal colors too. A simple logo which everyone-and-their-brother isnt wearing too.
        Last edited by whereismurder; June 4, 2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I'll check out Brooks Brothers. That sounds like what I'm looking for.

LesserBlackDog, I completely agree on polos looking terrible tucked in. It really does seem to be the uniform here though. Every guy from the CEO on down. It's the construction industry, which I'm learning works a little differently, even on the business side.

Comment

Originally posted by jayhawk_esq View Post
            LesserBlackDog, I completely agree on polos looking terrible tucked in. It really does seem to be the uniform here though. Every guy from the CEO on down. It's the construction industry, which I'm learning works a little differently, even on the business side.
            Construction industry and football coaching, the two careers in which guys (usually in terrible shape) wear tucked-in polos.

I'd suggest the BR Luxe polos in part because the come in regular and long sizes, in both slim and standard cuts. I wash cold and hang dry, and have not experienced any significant shrinkage in my polos. I will say the fabric is relatively delicate so be careful about running it against rough surfaces. I ruined one shirt because I didn't notice the hook side of a Velcro step on my golf bag had curled up and was pressing against my back. Over four miles of walking it snagged and broke a noticeable number of the fine threads of the weave.

Comment

I agree with LesserBlackDog. The tucked-in polo is horrible, and even if that's what everyone's wearing, I'd still stray from that pack. And that's especially true since it sounds like you even hate the look -- I'd feel ridiculously uncomfortable wearing a look I didn't like.

The long sleeve button-up with rolled sleeves would look better, and I can't see you getting much grief for it. It's not like you'd be wearing a three-piece suit while everyone else has the football-coach look going on. You'd pretty much be doing the one-step-up thing.

Comment

Spier and Mackay cutaway collar and button down collars are my go to in the summer. The summer in Texas dictates comfort over style. I prefer a button up shirt over a polo, but again, the heat! Unfortunately, you can’t try them on but they are solid.

Comment

Another vote for rolled up sleeves. But if it is a polo, you don't have to tuck it just because they do.

Comment

Love my Target Goodfellow & Co. Elevated Ultra Soft polo.

Fit great, super comfortable.

Don't tuck it in.

Comment

Go for a long-sleeved polo. Wear it untucked with the sleeves pushed up.

Comment

As much as we'd like to revolutionize the cultural dress code [MENTION=12983]jayhawk_esq[/MENTION] will face, we wouldn't be so willing to push him to sharply depart from it if, say, everybody wore suits and ties.

For some workplaces an untucked shirt for men is a step too far towards slovenly frat boys, as inappropriate and juvenile as shorts, visible underwear or sleeveless tops. At the same time, long sleeves can be regarded as too formal, much as a business informal office would look askance at a dinner jacket.

If it makes people feel better, think of him dressing to match professional golfers or a private golf club. It's a narrow range of options.

At least let him get established and respected in his new workplace before trying to overthrow the tucked-in polo tyranny. Then maybe he starts slowly introducing them to new ideas such as short-sleeve button-ups, or rolled-up sleeves.

I'll second the Spier & Mackay suggestion. They offer both button-down and shirt style collars (collars are all the same fabric as the body, no ribbed material) and make a big point about minimal shrinkage.

Comment

FWIW I worked in construction litigation for several years. We primarily represented contractors in disputes with project owners, developers, and lenders. Our clients ranged from solo craftsmen to large regional commercial and high-end residential contractors and, on occasion, multinational commercial contractors who needed local counsel.

We dressed differently than our clients, even the wealthy owners of large companies that they'd built from the ground up starting as tradesmen themselves. But that was expected. They understood we were coming from a different place and operating in a different world than they did - which is why they hired us in the first place. I wouldn't hire someone in a business suit to remodel my house or build a hotel.

I'm not saying we wore suits every day. We were rarely in court (we had just two trials and a smattering of substantive hearings in the three years I worked there) and dressed mostly in business casual/smart casual at the office, even when meeting with clients (I tried to dress in jacket and tie for most initial consultations but usually just wore a button-down shirt and khakis after that). But we were still dressed up compared to most of our clients.

My point is - you are what and who you are and that's why they hired you to do the job. You shouldn't be afraid to deviate somewhat from the company norm in terms of attire because what you bring to the table is very different from what industry guys/gals bring to the table, and they know that and that's why they're paying you. I wouldn't worry about blending in to the specifics of what they're wearing as long as you are not over the top in formality. I feel like chinos and button-down shirts with rolled sleeves would be completely appropriate in your situation.
                          Ben

Comment

I think tucked vs. untucked greatly depends on the situation and what you pair it with. I tuck my polo at work but I mostly wear them with trousers (chambray, linen, etc.) and loafers. If I am wearing more casual chinos or shorts and sneakers, then I definitely leave it untucked. I certainly don't have a six pack but I don't have a gut either. I think I look pretty put together with a tucked polo and trouser combo.

EDIT: I'll also add that I almost always use the BR Luxe polo when tucking and pairing with trousers (although a knit polo might look good as well). They are just a bit more formal. If its a slub or regualar pique polo, I pair it more on the casual side and leave it untucked.

EDIT 2: I always hang dry the BR polos and they don't shrink. If you put them in the dryer they will. (Alright, I'm done...I think)
                            Last edited by bassoonguy; June 5, 2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughtful input, guys. Nice to have some options to think through.

Comment

Working...
                              X