This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beach vacation - Dinner clothing

My wife and I are headed to a nicer ("trendier") all inclusive in Mexico with a couple of other couples in about a month. I noted "trendier" one as this seems like the definition an Instagram resort which also dovetails into the attire. We'll probably be in swimsuits most of the day, but I would like to look nice for the dinners. I'll probably wear my various Bonobos Riviera shirts and the Faherty hawaiian looking one I just got, but I struggle a bit with pants and shoes.
    Pants - I keep myself in good shape for my age, so I prefer my pants to be more 'form fitting' I guess. Think Tailored fit chinos from Bonobos versus a different cut. Speaking of Bonobos, I don't want to wear my stretched washed chinos. I feel like that would look too sloppy or just not what I am going for. I was debating on a pair of blue/not navy Weekday Warriors in a tailored fit, but that might be too 'business casualy'. I think some good fitting linen pants could be cool, but I given the cost of Bonobos ones (for ex), I struggle with the cost as I don't know where I would wear them past this vacation. Any suggestions on pants?

Shoes - Some of the restaurants require closed toe shoes, so no sandals. I have Sperry boat shoes, but same as the washed chinos would just look sloppy. I have some Del Toro velvet slippers that I bought probably 3 years ago and have worn probably 3 times. They are navy though, and I don't know how well they lend themselves to a beach setting. I'd loved to buy these Del Toro Everyday loafers if they were half the price - https://bonobos.com/products/del-tor...r=sand%20suede. Any suggestions on alternatives to these or shoes in general?

In regard to shoes, because it sounds like you won't use them much after this trip, how about these for $95:

https://www.jackerwin.com/collection...19809620688982

They come in three colors. I've found my JE boots to be good quality for the price.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Intrigued that you think that the stretch washed chinos would be too informal. I guess they can get a bit rumply, but they're my go-to business casual pants. I personally would feel a bit odd wearing fancier chinos with a patterned short-sleeve buttondown. You could try Bonobos or J Crew's oxford cloth or chambray pants. BR's rapid movement chinos are probably a good mid point between Bonobos's washed chinos and the Weekday Warriors, but still would maybe put on too much of a business casual vibe unless you were to buy them in a kind of uncommon color (like white or green). I personally would also suggest the BR Traveler jeans or core temp chinos, but I'd also put those as less formal than the Bonobos stretch chinos.

As for shoes, I have a pair of astorflex espadrilles that I like, but I probably wouldn't recommend based on the cost. Something similar would work pretty well, though. This and this look pretty good.

Comment

I was at El Dorado Royale in Riviera Maya last year. Not sure how this compares but it was definitely a nice resort and all of the restaurants required men to be in pants and collared shirts for dinner. I packed two pairs of linen pants (one Bonobos & the other JCrew) that I paired with some linen shirts and polos. Wore with AE Sea Island suede loafers each night. In that environment, I personally think that linen looks more appropriate (casual yet still dressy) and definitely breathes much better than cotton chinos.

This season, I've only really looked at linen pants at Spier & Mackay, where they run something like $120. Bonobos is closer to $150 I think but they always have some promotion floating around (would think for sure this weekend) that brings the pricing down. JCrew & Banana may be options too. I get that dropping $100+ for a pair of pants that won't see much use is a lot, though I also think a pair of linen pants is something worth having in your closet, even if you only reach for them once or twice a year.

Comment

I take part of that back. The JCrew pants I wore were very lightweight chambray that the breeze blew right through. Something like that or linen is what I would look for.

Comment

Originally posted by Banks View Post
            I was at El Dorado Royale in Riviera Maya last year. Not sure how this compares but it was definitely a nice resort and all of the restaurants required men to be in pants and collared shirts for dinner. I packed two pairs of linen pants (one Bonobos & the other JCrew) that I paired with some linen shirts and polos. Wore with AE Sea Island suede loafers each night. In that environment, I personally think that linen looks more appropriate (casual yet still dressy) and definitely breathes much better than cotton chinos.

This season, I've only really looked at linen pants at Spier & Mackay, where they run something like $120. Bonobos is closer to $150 I think but they always have some promotion floating around (would think for sure this weekend) that brings the pricing down. JCrew & Banana may be options too. I get that dropping $100+ for a pair of pants that won't see much use is a lot, though I also think a pair of linen pants is something worth having in your closet, even if you only reach for them once or twice a year.
            We’ve stayed at El Dorado Royale, and that’s where I wanted to go this time, but I lost out. The place we are going is only a few years old, and trendier is probably a good descriptive difference.
            I’ve never tried any Spier clothes before, but I see that they have a 100% linen pant for $98 (free shipping at $100... well played). How do they fit compared to Bonobos? I wear a 32 inch waist in Bonobos. Would Spier be similar? Without free shipping, I’d need to get it right. What Bonobos fit is similar to Spier’s slim fit? My Bonobos washed chinos are tailored fit, but my dress wool wants are slim instead tailored. The tailored ones are basically painted on my thighs. Spier calls their linen pants dress pants, so I wonder how’d they fit or even if I would need to size up a size.

The Bonobos linen pants seem like a rip off $150 with 1/3 of the material being polyester.

Comment

Over the past year or two, I've transitioned most of my dress pants to S&M. In Bonobos, I wear a 31 waist in the slim fit. With JCrew's Bowery slim wool pants, I was a 32 waist, though that was in order to fit my thighs (I always had a tailor take the waist in some). With S&M, I can wear either the slim or contemporary but both require some tailoring. If I go slim, I get a 33 waist (fits my thighs well) and need a tailor to take in the waist some. If I go contemporary, I get a 32 waist, which fits my waist perfectly but requires some tailoring work in the thighs/seat.

The Bonobos linen pants that I've got are 67% linen/33% cotton. I'm with you - no way I'd spend that amount of money on a pair with that much polyester. I just ordered some linen pants from S&M (just shipped) in 32 contemporary and 33 slim and hope to keep whichever fits best. While returns go to Canada, they've set it up where I think it's now $15 for a prepaid return label that goes through USPS (ships to a U.S. location, so real easy). I always pay through PayPal and get reimbursed for the returned shipping costs.

Comment

Not sure where you stand when it comes to side tabs vs belt loops (I've grown to really like side tabs on warm weather pants), but here are two other options. They're a bit pricier at $118 but also qualify for free shipping, so not much of a price difference compared to the $98 pants with shipping costs. I really like both of these shades but would lean towards the honey color as it would pair well with just about anything. Perfect warm weather pant that walks the line between dressy & casual.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/sage-...ilk-32373.html
                https://www.spierandmackay.com/honey...ilk-25027.html

Comment

Beach vacation - Dinner clothing

I have gone on enough trips like this that I sort of look out for linen pants. Low priority item but really nice to have. I have 2 or 3 pairs from off season sales and thrifting. You could try eBay or Poshmark?

ETA - for shoes, driving loafers. That’s my go-to nighttime shoe at a resort. I have a pair in brown / blue that go with most of my resort wear. You could try a cheap pair and see if you like the style. Or for $95 the Jack Erwin’s linked above are supposed to be great.
                  carlitos
                  Varsity Member
                  Last edited by carlitos; May 22, 2019, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pesape View Post
                    My wife and I are headed to a nicer ("trendier") all inclusive in Mexico with a couple of other couples in about a month. I noted "trendier" one as this seems like the definition an Instagram resort which also dovetails into the attire. We'll probably be in swimsuits most of the day, but I would like to look nice for the dinners. I'll probably wear my various Bonobos Riviera shirts and the Faherty hawaiian looking one I just got, but I struggle a bit with pants and shoes.
                    Pants - I keep myself in good shape for my age, so I prefer my pants to be more 'form fitting' I guess. Think Tailored fit chinos from Bonobos versus a different cut. Speaking of Bonobos, I don't want to wear my stretched washed chinos. I feel like that would look too sloppy or just not what I am going for. I was debating on a pair of blue/not navy Weekday Warriors in a tailored fit, but that might be too 'business casualy'. I think some good fitting linen pants could be cool, but I given the cost of Bonobos ones (for ex), I struggle with the cost as I don't know where I would wear them past this vacation. Any suggestions on pants?

Shoes - Some of the restaurants require closed toe shoes, so no sandals. I have Sperry boat shoes, but same as the washed chinos would just look sloppy. I have some Del Toro velvet slippers that I bought probably 3 years ago and have worn probably 3 times. They are navy though, and I don't know how well they lend themselves to a beach setting. I'd loved to buy these Del Toro Everyday loafers if they were half the price - https://bonobos.com/products/del-tor...r=sand%20suede. Any suggestions on alternatives to these or shoes in general?
                    A cheap seersucker suit will do and loafers. I got mine from Macy's for like $80.00, only used mine once. In Mexico dressing "nice" really helps on how you get treated and specifically if you want to go trendy nightclubs.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

S&M provides exact measurements for the clothes. I've found them to be mostly accurate.

Comment

What do you normally wear with those shirts and why wouldnt it work in this case?

I always try to bring my favorite, weather appropriate, clothes when I travel for maximum comfort. If youre busting out a new rig every day of the vacation youll have to figure out how to wear something new on the fly, while youre doing activities (and probably few mirrors). That is never relaxing.

If youre set on new pants, I second the seersucker idea. Theyre making a lot more than the typical blue/white seersucker these days.

For shoes, the del toros would fit in perfectly IMO. Think Cannes louche not preppy ralph lauren ad. Again, just wear shoes you like. Things that would fit in at a resort are lighter colored bucks, penny loafers, tassel loafers, driving shoes, velvet slippers, and pretty much anything suede.

Comment

Originally posted by Banks View Post
                          I packed two pairs of linen pants (one Bonobos & the other JCrew) that I paired with some linen shirts and polos. Wore with AE Sea Island suede loafers each night. In that environment, I personally think that linen looks more appropriate (casual yet still dressy) and definitely breathes much better than cotton chinos.
                          Not to hijack the thread, but where did you get your linen shirts? And did you like them?

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
                            What do you normally wear with those shirts and why wouldnt it work in this case?

I always try to bring my favorite, weather appropriate, clothes when I travel for maximum comfort. If youre busting out a new rig every day of the vacation youll have to figure out how to wear something new on the fly, while youre doing activities (and probably few mirrors). That is never relaxing.

If youre set on new pants, I second the seersucker idea. Theyre making a lot more than the typical blue/white seersucker these days.

For shoes, the del toros would fit in perfectly IMO. Think Cannes louche not preppy ralph lauren ad. Again, just wear shoes you like. Things that would fit in at a resort are lighter colored bucks, penny loafers, tassel loafers, driving shoes, velvet slippers, and pretty much anything suede.
                            In the middle of summer, I'll typically wear these shirts with shorts (specifically the tech type Breaker shorts from Vineyard Vines - got a few a couple years ago and like them a lot) and possible boat shoes or Rainbow sandals. I do wear them with my Bonobos chinos too, but thought I could class it up for the vacation. Some dinners require pants and closed toe shoes. I could of course wear my Bonobos chinos, and I might if I can't find some linen pants that I like. Same thing on the boat shoes. They'll work if they have to, but I wouldn't mind looking a little more "tailored".

I agree on the Del Toro's. I'd like to avoid the boat shoes if possible as I agree on the Cannes vs preppy vibe. Annoyingly, it appears the Del Toro's I linked were made for Bonobos as I could not find them anywhere else online nor something similar (from Del Toro). If I were to splurge on the vacation clothing, I'd probably suck it up and buy the Del Toro's and use my Bonobos pants. The ones I linked could be used a lot, but unfortunately, I can't find them.
                            Pesape
                            Varsity Member
                            Last edited by Pesape; May 23, 2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paintflinger View Post
                              S&M provides exact measurements for the clothes. I've found them to be mostly accurate.
                              Thanks for pointing that out. I tried to find Bonobos matching measurements, but they have waist/hip for the needed measures. Even in that, it scares me a bit. The 32 inch waist tailored washed chinos have a hip of 41.5. That matches the 32 inch waist on the contemporary S&M pants, but it also matches the hip on the 33 inch waist slim pants. They don't show a straight on view of the pants on a model, so I can't tell what the two fits really look like. I'd have to imagine I would like the slim fit better given my preference, but then I'd worry about needing to size up and the waist being too big. I guess I could have them altered, but the fit might be slightly out of wack then. Does anyone know of any pictures of the two fits? I could not find anything anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X