Talk me though buying an expensive watch please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    For 11k, I'd rather get the speedmaster AND black bay of my choice, and would still have leftover.

Rolexes have just got silly on prices. 11k for a basic steel watch? Even given their high manufacturing standards, better than cosc regulation, and high quality movements? Man, I don't know.
    Yes, I just pointed out that model as one i was interested in after seeing it. I need to do a lot more research. I didn't know the market was so bad for them so I might wait it out if there are odds it might level out in the next couple of years.

I've never liked Omega. Tried some on and they just didnt appeal to me. I guess part of the allure of the Rolex was that my Dad had one.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
      Yes, I just pointed out that model as one i was interested in after seeing it. I need to do a lot more research. I didn't know the market was so bad for them so I might wait it out if there are odds it might level out in the next couple of years.

I've never liked Omega. Tried some on and they just didnt appeal to me. I guess part of the allure of the Rolex was that my Dad had one.
      For what it's worth I really like the Rolex OP line. They are the most "entry level" Rolex watch so they are the most affordable ($5,000-6,000 depending on size), they are relatively easy to source compared to most other SS models, come in a ton of colors and sizes, and I think are so aesthetically clean and understated that they will look good, with everything, for all time. I absolutely love my black 34mm OP and have actually seriously thought about getting a second one in white after selling my other Rolexes (Exp II and DJ36).

The 39mm OP comes in a rhodium dial with light blue accents similar to the Yachtmaster you linked above, FWIW. Not quite as timeless as getting it in white or black or something, but I've tried the rhodium on in-person and it is a beautiful watch.

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; May 24, 2019, 12:20 PM.
      Ben

Comment

If this is a heirloom piece, go with what speaks to you. Everyone is going to have advice on what watch you NEED to get. The advice is all well intentioned and will introduce you to models that you may not have thought of yourself. Just don’t let anyone talk you out of something that you truly enjoy. I like the Yachtmaster, others don’t. There are some that don’t like my Sinn 903 because it is too “busy”. I Love it. Go with your gut and your heart

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          For what it's worth I really like the Rolex OP line. They are the most "entry level" Rolex watch so they are the most affordable ($5,000-6,000 depending on size), they are relatively easy to source compared to most other SS models, come in a ton of colors and sizes, and I think are so aesthetically clean and understated that they will look good, with everything, for all time. I absolutely love my black 34mm OP and have actually seriously thought about getting a second one in white after selling my other Rolexes (Exp II and DJ36).
          Is that the Oyster Perpetual line? Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
            Is that the Oyster Perpetual line? Thanks for the info.
            Yes, Oyster Perpetual:

https://www.rolex.com/watches/oyster-perpetual.html
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] you got that right re: the Rolex market at the moment. I have been keeping an eye on GMT models and their prices are going up up up. The whole Rolex market is just doing gangbusters right now. For the life of me I can't figure out why.
              Simply insane in the last 2 years. Particularly on SS sports models, but hitting both new and used markets. I would have considered adding a 2nd Rolex to my collection, but the value relative to other brands' propositions keeps going down. That said, I still love the Rolex I already have.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                Simply insane in the last 2 years. Particularly on SS sports models, but hitting both new and used markets. I would have considered adding a 2nd Rolex to my collection, but the value relative to other brands' propositions keeps going down. That said, I still love the Rolex I already have.
                Funny thing is how good Tudor now is though, for far more reasonable prices. Tudor has become what Rolex used to be, and Rolex has become, well, something else.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                  I couldn't agree more. I am glad for the Rolex's I have now. Even when I did buy them, I felt I was buying at the top of the cost curve. Seems like the curve keeps going up.

Right now I'm in a holding pattern with watches. I'd like to pick up a Rolex GMT but as you mention cost/benefit is most definitely a factor.

Comment

New Rolexes are so expensive now that I don't think it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                    X