Talk me though buying an expensive watch please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me though buying an expensive watch please

I've seen a lot of lovely watches here and know there are some very knowledgable watch people, so I am hoping you can help me as I start my search. I like watches but would rather have 1 or 2 nice ones then a whole watch box for different situations.

Some background
    I've always liked nice watches but had a hard time getting over the cost. I passed off the thought because it was unrealistic for my budget but my grandmother I was very close with after passing left me some money and she was always into dressing nice and loved watches. I'd love to one day hand it down to my son as an heirloom type watch. So I thought this might be a nice way to honor all. My dad bought himself a Rolex when his company was doing well and to me a Rolex was symbolism of an event to remember.

So I am intrigued on getting a Rolex. I am not opposed to purchasing a second hand one but am scared of the knock-off market (I support DHS and see first hand how much counterfit goods have increased and are hard to tell the differences). I bought my Baume Mercier once I got a promotion from Jomashop but that was only 1.5k compared to a Rolex.

I'd like it to be subtle classy. I don't need it to scream omg look at m (like gold not that I prob could afford that )

Where would you all recommend I start? Other forums? Go purchase direct from a store? Is there a better time to buy? Any and all help is appreciated including model advice.

I saw this one (or similar) on someone's wrist in San Diego and it stuck with me: https://www.jomashop.com/rolex-watch-116622rso.html thoughts?

Go find [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] post about his recent purchase. a lot of good convo and pics in there. Watchuseek is full of knowledgeable people...and asshats. go dive in!

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      Go find [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] post about his recent purchase. a lot of good convo and pics in there. Watchuseek is full of knowledgeable people...and asshats. go dive in!
      Thanks I remember someone had discussed one recently but couldn't remember the TS ... thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
        Thanks I remember someone had discussed one recently but couldn't remember the TS ... thank you.
        no problem. I think its this one...

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...olor-conundrum

Comment

I bought in store though it seems to be tough to buy a steel Rolex depending on the market. Also, it helps to just do exhaustive looking online for a watch you really want to see in the flesh and would potentially buy it if the store had one. It could be there one day then gone for months or years depending on the watch. For instance, I've never seen a steel Daytona in a store and I have done a lot of tire kicking in different markets.

As for thoughts on the Yacht-Master, I love the Everrose on rubber bracelet but the steel models don't sing to me. For $12K, you really want to love the watch. I guess I never really understood the logic behind the Yacht-Master line and the YMII has the gimmicks. I wouldn't be surprised though if you found one in stores as it is not as popular as the Submariner, GMT, or other steel styles.

There is something special about buying in store though. You get the watch presented in the box and usually the sales people make it an exciting time. Some places break out champagne though YMMV depending on the store. Also...you may be able to ship out of state and save on taxes if you have that ability. I shipped out of state and saved $1K.

Finally, I have had my GMT for going on 6 years and it is now my one watch. I don't wear or really even know where my Hamilton is any more. I wear this thing for everything except running. Salt water? Sure. Gardening? Sure. Painting? Still on my wrist. You will baby your watch for quite some time but after that first accidental scratch, you will be able to live with your watch more.

Good luck man...it is a fun time looking for one.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            I bought in store though it seems to be tough to buy a steel Rolex depending on the market. Also, it helps to just do exhaustive looking online for a watch you really want to see in the flesh and would potentially buy it if the store had one. It could be there one day then gone for months or years depending on the watch. For instance, I've never seen a steel Daytona in a store and I have done a lot of tire kicking in different markets.

As for thoughts on the Yacht-Master, I love the Everrose on rubber bracelet but the steel models don't sing to me. For $12K, you really want to love the watch. I guess I never really understood the logic behind the Yacht-Master line and the YMII has the gimmicks. I wouldn't be surprised though if you found one in stores as it is not as popular as the Submariner, GMT, or other steel styles.

There is something special about buying in store though. You get the watch presented in the box and usually the sales people make it an exciting time. Some places break out champagne though YMMV depending on the store. Also...you may be able to ship out of state and save on taxes if you have that ability. I shipped out of state and saved $1K.

Finally, I have had my GMT for going on 6 years and it is now my one watch. I don't wear or really even know where my Hamilton is any more. I wear this thing for everything except running. Salt water? Sure. Gardening? Sure. Painting? Still on my wrist. You will baby your watch for quite some time but after that first accidental scratch, you will be able to live with your watch more.

Good luck man...it is a fun time looking for one.
            This info is very helpful so thanks for taking the time to write the post. To me having the date and a bezel is a safety blanket. Not a requirement. Traditionally my older watches (citizens, etc.) had dates etc. so I got used to that.

My dad has (had? unsure if he even has it anymore since he uses a fitbit) an Oyster perpetual which is probably something more aligned to my budget. It's all so new to me that I am still exploring this process.

Comment

I would spend some time on https://www.watchuseek.com/ The forums and articles can help you understand the new and used watch market out there.

If you are interested in the used market, try www.watchrecon.com This can help you understand the pricing of pre-owned watches and is great for looking at a ton of different options out there. Personally, I am not afraid of the secondary market, but I was a frequent watch flipper before I found my grail. Unfortunately, Rolex is THE brand to be careful with if you don’t know what you are doing.

I would suggest doing some research on what make and model appeals to you the most and why. Then try to get one on your wrist (try it on in store). If you are still enamored with it, then decide on new or used. If you narrow it down, then post, there are at least 4-5 regular posters here that could help you track it down.

Best of luck!

Comment

YM are expensive, but so are most steel Rolexes. You should look at all different models (and even some other brands, if you're open to it) before making a decision. Go see them in person, try them on in the steel. They each wear different and it's personal what you like on your own wrist (both feel and how it looks).

If you're looking used, you might check out DavidSW. I'd vouch for authenticity of his stock (which includes new and used), although his prices have risen with the market over the last few years. Generally, I've found that I shop in person, try things on, etc. and then potentially find something online from a reputable seller, whether P2P or a business. Defining what's "reputable" is the tough part.

Best of luck, and try to have fun with it!

Comment

If I ever get the shiny new grail watch, I’ll probably pay full price at an AD, both for the experience and for the service / warranty. Right now that would be the Omega aqua terra in silver with blue rubber band. Not that I’ve given it much thought. Or given my wife a business card from the Omega boutique with the exact model # on the back.

That yacht master in rose gold with the rubber strap — wow.

Comment

I appreciate everyone’s responses so far. It’s hard to properly thank everyone on my phone but will and have some follow up questions.

Comment

I have bought several high end watches online and I did LOTS of homework before making any big ass purchase. Here is how I approached my purchase(s).
                      • Researched the hell out of the watch I wanted to buy. This included googling around as much as possible and reading as much as possible.
                      • Narrowing down my wants and must haves
                      • Going to watchrecon and monitoring that website for several weeks to get an understanding of prices, who was regularly selling watches and who was just doing one-offs
                      • Based on watchrecon, I had a good idea of used watch prices and who seemed to be selling regularly
                      • Finding their user names and then doing google searches for reviews
                      • If the users were selling from dedicated watch websites (i.e. rolex forums, omega forums, watchrecon) I'd go the section of the website where people write reviews of the sellers and read all of the reviews about a particular seller. From there I knew who to trust. I may email the seller with some questions to get a feel for their customer service and knowledge.
                      • For a dedicated vintage website, like Crown & Caliber, I'd google and read online reviews from as many sources are possible
                      • Then, and only then I'd wait for the watch I wanted to hit the price I was willing to pay and pull the trigger

Touch wood I've had good success and have no regrets.

Comment

I would take a look at Watchuseek and, for Rolex more specifically, RolexForums.com.

I will tell you that the Rolex market is a tough nut to crack right now, and for the foreseeable future. Steel sports models are virtually impossible to buy on-demand unless you are willing to pay a significant mark-up on the grey market. Prices on pre-owned are through the roof. Otherwise expect to get waitlisted by an AD, and expect the wait to be long, and longer still if you aren't willing to fork over a pretty significant deposit (50%). If you visit an AD to try stuff on, expect to be disappointed by empty display cases. They'll have previous medal models for you to look at but don't be surprised if they don't have even stainless steel Oyster Perpetuals or Datejusts in-stock. The most desirable models - GMT II BLRO, DaytonaC - are virtually impossible to find, especially for someone who's new to the game, unless you are willing to pay thousands and thousands of dollars over MSRP. That's the craziness of the market currently, and I would sympathize with anyone who would be put off the whole idea of buying a Rolex as a result.

If you're willing to buy grey market, it's still relatively straightforward to get non-sports steel models - like the aforementioned OPs and DJs - from grey dealers, but don't expect a discount.

I have recently purchased several Rolexes - one was a 34mm Oyster Perpetual, so not a super hot model, and it still took several weeks (for some reason both 3 weeks and 6 weeks seem right to me but I can't remember specifically) to get it in at an AD after I put down a 50% deposit.

I ordered a no-date Sub from the same AD, put down a full deposit, and that took 2-3 months.

I ended up flipping that almost immediately and bought a SS 36mm DJ from a grey seller, right around MSRP, that I got overnighted. The OP is still the watch that gets the most wrist time so I'm probably going to sell the DJ here pretty shortly.

So basically a lot about how much you will pay and how much you will wait will depend on the specific model you are looking for and whether you want to get it from an AD or a grey market dealer or used.

Any other brand (short of very high end like Patek Philippe and etc, and to some extent Rolex's sub-brand Tudor) is going to be a lot more accessible and you'll have a much easier time finding discounts, finding watches you can try on in-person, etc.
                        Ben

Comment

If you are in or near a metropolitan area you might check to see if there is a watch enthusiast group in your area (for example, search "Redbar [your city]").

These groups can be an awesome resource. They often have regular meet-ups that give you a chance to see and try on watches that you might not otherwise be exposed to. The members regularly buy and sell personal stock, but importantly, they usually know of reputable independent watch dealers nearby - many of whom can source new and used pieces at prices even less than what you'll see on line. I recently sourced a very specific vintage Daytona for a friend through a local dealer who found us a great piece for $ thousands less than the best prices we were seeing online.
                          Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] you got that right re: the Rolex market at the moment. I have been keeping an eye on GMT models and their prices are going up up up. The whole Rolex market is just doing gangbusters right now. For the life of me I can't figure out why.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                              I've seen a lot of lovely watches here and know there are some very knowledgable watch people, so I am hoping you can help me as I start my search. I like watches but would rather have 1 or 2 nice ones then a whole watch box for different situations.

Some background
                              I've always liked nice watches but had a hard time getting over the cost. I passed off the thought because it was unrealistic for my budget but my grandmother I was very close with after passing left me some money and she was always into dressing nice and loved watches. I'd love to one day hand it down to my son as an heirloom type watch. So I thought this might be a nice way to honor all. My dad bought himself a Rolex when his company was doing well and to me a Rolex was symbolism of an event to remember.

So I am intrigued on getting a Rolex. I am not opposed to purchasing a second hand one but am scared of the knock-off market (I support DHS and see first hand how much counterfit goods have increased and are hard to tell the differences). I bought my Baume Mercier once I got a promotion from Jomashop but that was only 1.5k compared to a Rolex.

I'd like it to be subtle classy. I don't need it to scream omg look at m (like gold not that I prob could afford that )

Where would you all recommend I start? Other forums? Go purchase direct from a store? Is there a better time to buy? Any and all help is appreciated including model advice.

I saw this one (or similar) on someone's wrist in San Diego and it stuck with me: https://www.jomashop.com/rolex-watch-116622rso.html thoughts?
                              For 11k, I'd rather get the speedmaster AND black bay of my choice, and would still have leftover.

Rolexes have just got silly on prices. 11k for a basic steel watch? Even given their high manufacturing standards, better than cosc regulation, and high quality movements? Man, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X