Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Days where you're "not feeling it sartorially" - happen to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
    helps to have a go-to combo
    This. If I have one of those days, just grab one of the simple go-tos that I know looks fine. Work day? Grab the nearest grey slacks, white ocbd, navy sport coat, and black or dark/mid brown shoes and belt.

It's giving up, but especially for basics like that, I only own items that fit me superbly, so there's no way I can look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
      This. If I have one of those days, just grab one of the simple go-tos that I know looks fine. Work day? Grab the nearest grey slacks, white ocbd, navy sport coat, and black or dark/mid brown shoes and belt.

It's giving up, but especially for basics like that, I only own items that fit me superbly, so there's no way I can look bad.
      I agree with this. I think less and less about putting together outfits these days because I've stocked away classic/basic pieces that mostly can go together and look polished without thought. Will it win any instagram fashion awards? Hell no. Will I still be presentable and better dressed than a large majority of people? Hell yes.

Comment

That's a nice thing about having a conservative business dress code. It's hard to get too far off the rails when the options are limited to solid navy or charcoal suit, solid white or blue shirt, black or brown dress shoes, and tie in color and pattern of choice.

More casual odd jacket and trouser combos are harder because then you actually have to think through whether the various pieces are congruent in formality, whether they complement/contrast each other successfully in terms of color, texture, and pattern, etc.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
          I agree with this. I think less and less about putting together outfits these days because I've stocked away classic/basic pieces that mostly can go together and look polished without thought. Will it win any instagram fashion awards? Hell no. Will I still be presentable and better dressed than a large majority of people? Hell yes.
          This is also why I said for pieces like this, I made sure the fit is "superb". For more unique items, fit being "pretty good" is, well, good enough. For a navy blazer, white ocbd, and grey slacks (my example)? All you're working with over the legions of similarly dressed asshats out there is fit.

My unlined linen sport coat that I wear casually or with business casual clothes? It's relatively unique looking (despite being from JCrew; anyone could buy one, but I've never even seen someone else wearing one), but is a bit loose. Mine is a size 40R; I could probably size down to a 39R (I've lost some weight since I purchased it) for a perfect fit. However, in the 40R, it's "good enough".

Navy blazer? I wouldn't accept the fit of the linen blazer.

Maybe I'm just picky.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
            This is also why I said for pieces like this, I made sure the fit is "superb". For more unique items, fit being "pretty good" is, well, good enough. For a navy blazer, white ocbd, and grey slacks (my example)? All you're working with over the legions of similarly dressed asshats out there is fit.

My unlined linen sport coat that I wear casually or with business casual clothes? It's relatively unique looking (despite being from JCrew; anyone could buy one, but I've never even seen someone else wearing one), but is a bit loose. Mine is a size 40R; I could probably size down to a 39R (I've lost some weight since I purchased it) for a perfect fit. However, in the 40R, it's "good enough".

Navy blazer? I wouldn't accept the fit of the linen blazer.

Maybe I'm just picky.
            Same. I pretty much only do custom/MTM at this point for my true business attire. I'll go OTR for some sportcoats, and summer suiting, where it's likely fine being a little more relaxed (or where something else is speaking -- texture, color, pattern, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              This morning I couldn't for the life of me put an outfit together. No matter what I put on, I felt I couldn't match my shirt to my pants. Or my socks to my pants. Or whatever.

I ended up leaving the house not liking what I was wearing but I had a bus to catch. So now I'm all discombobulated at work, not feeling comfortable and it feels as though my whole day is off.

My wife thought I looked good. But for me, I'm not feeling good sartorially today.

Any of you guys go through this? And if it does happen, what's your solution to find an outfit that you do like?
              I had that feeling this morning. It's the same chinos I've been wearing to work for over a year now, all the sudden fit feels wrong, rise of the pants feel too low, and my torso looks longer than usual. I try to pull up my pants a bit higher to fix that, and I now almost look like an old man wearing his pants up to belly button.

It's just a downward spiral, and I think it's mostly with my mindset.

My wife said I look good, and I had an extra strong dose of coffee, and I feel a little better. Rocking out to your favorite tune during commute seems to help too.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                yeah, it happens. When I was going to the office I definelty had a uniform though. No thought really went into it other than setting my shirt rotation and begin sure everything was clean. Shirt A goes with pants 1, 2, 3. Shit b goes with pants 1, 4, and 5. That kind of thing. I see those people very day, I am not going to wow them with a fresh look unless I buy new clothes. That is, assuming they even care.

But ont he off the clock side I have some tried and true combos I fall back on in those cases.
                Same here. Since I work in a rather conservative work place, colors and patterns I can go for are limited. White, light blue, maybe light purple for shirts, navy and gray for suits, and that's about it. So I caught myself off guard when I got an aqua stripe dress shirt, not knowing exactly how to approach the matching and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  This morning I couldn't for the life of me put an outfit together. No matter what I put on, I felt I couldn't match my shirt to my pants. Or my socks to my pants. Or whatever.

I ended up leaving the house not liking what I was wearing but I had a bus to catch. So now I'm all discombobulated at work, not feeling comfortable and it feels as though my whole day is off.

My wife thought I looked good. But for me, I'm not feeling good sartorially today.

Any of you guys go through this? And if it does happen, what's your solution to find an outfit that you do like?
                  This only happens when I haven't done laundry for a while.

I've got a small, I'd say, a wardrobe with bunch of grays and blues, so it's hard to go wrong. But when nothing feels right, there's always that reliable navy blazer.

Comment

Working...
                  X