Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jos. A. Bank's 1905 line - Any experience?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Jos. A. Bank's 1905 line - Any experience?

    To me, JAB is the clothing version of Buick - something for stuffy old people.
    And that is not a bad thing, they've been around for over a century, still doing fine. I think they know their demographics, and doing a great job appealing to those folks, good for them. It just isn't for me, from my experience with their stuff. I've gotten their "tailored fit" suit once with same chest measurement sizing as other suits I have, and I was swimming in fabric!

    However, I recently heard of their 1905 line, supposed to appeal to younger and younger minded customer base, with slimmer cuts, trendier(by JAB standards, at least) designs, and techier materials.
    Being from Baltimore, I would love to support a fellow Baltimorean company, but my past experience with them makes me feel hesitant.

    If you have tried JAB recently, especially their 1905 line, how is your experience with them compare to Dappered staples, say, J.Crew or BR?

    #2
    Originally posted by mochi123 View Post
    JAB is the clothing version of Buick - something for stuffy old people. ?
    you're right about that part. there's definitely worse stuff out there, but i think i've just been mad the pricing is high for what you get as well.



    https://www.josbank.com/traveler-col...QaAjGIEALw_wcB

    $89 shirt there, you can get a lands end one, or a Charles Therwiwtytytyt one that is just as good, if not better one for like $35 or 40. For a whole $2 more you can get the standard in good mens dress shirts, brooks brothers, who absolutely blows them out of the water in their quality and construction methods.

    it's no contest. They're just a large trap for who don't know any better. I just hate them because i really don't understand why they would go there and buy clothes when there are like 40 better options.
    Last edited by evanparker; May 20, 2019, 11:32 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      I have one. It's fine. But I paid only $79 for it on clearance after Xmas 2017.

      I'm seeing them for $600 now? Wow. Also, it doesn't seem like a "younger" cut to me. Honestly, it's about on par with some of the suits I've picked up for $250-$300 at Macys.

      For that price, if you want a younger cut--I'd wait until a Brooks Bros. Regent fit 1818 to go on sale. I picked up one for $450 and another for $530. Those are much nicer in my opinion.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

      Comment


        #4
        They make great towels when you buy in bulk, I'm told.

        Comment


          #5
          If you're pretty skinny, go to clearance suits and look for Reserve slim fit. Those use Italian fabrics, are half canvassed, and are a good deal at 199. If you look often, they will go down to 99 or so, which is a steal. They also have good shoulders, which eliminates a primary bitch about JAB suits (aggressive shoulder padding).

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by evanparker View Post
            you're right about that part. there's definitely worse stuff out there, but i think i've just been mad the pricing is high for what you get as well.



            https://www.josbank.com/traveler-col...QaAjGIEALw_wcB

            $89 shirt there, you can get a lands end one, or a Charles Therwiwtytytyt one that is just as good, if not better one for like $35 or 40. For a whole $2 more you can get the standard in good mens dress shirts, brooks brothers, who absolutely blows them out of the water in their quality and construction methods.

            it's no contest. They're just a large trap for who don't know any better. I just hate them because i really don't understand why they would go there and buy clothes when there are like 40 better options.
            You must not understand how JAB works. They run constant sales, and the real price for items is about 1/3 of the MSRP. On the very link you share, it actually says 2 for 89, which must mean the current sale on those shirts is a bad one. Wait a day or two and they'll be $30 each.

            I personally am not a big fan of JAB, but I felt the need to respond. At least be fair on their prices.

            Comment


              #7
              As to the 1905 line - it isn't terrible. However, both Banana Republic and JCrew do the same sort of thing, and do it better, imo. Especially JCrew when it comes to suits - I don't think anybody (except perhaps some high end Italian brands) does a slim cut suit better than the Ludlow slim cut suits. BR suits aren't bad, but they tend to cut their jackets a bit short and don't lower the button stance; JCrew has neither of these issues.

              Anyway, JAB has stores everywhere, and has an excellent return policy for online orders. Just be sure to sign up for their emails and watch their sales for a couple weeks to get a feel for what is a good price and what isn't.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                As to the 1905 line - it isn't terrible. However, both Banana Republic and JCrew do the same sort of thing, and do it better, imo. Especially JCrew when it comes to suits - I don't think anybody (except perhaps some high end Italian brands) does a slim cut suit better than the Ludlow slim cut suits. BR suits aren't bad, but they tend to cut their jackets a bit short and don't lower the button stance; JCrew has neither of these issues.

                Anyway, JAB has stores everywhere, and has an excellent return policy for online orders. Just be sure to sign up for their emails and watch their sales for a couple weeks to get a feel for what is a good price and what isn't.
                That's how I was feeling too, with their sales, which happens quite literally every day, they aren't bad. But with a number of choices we have these days, "not bad" is not quite what gets you excited or devoted to the brand, especially if the brand already has a reputation of catering to boring old men.

                Comment

                Working...
                X