X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Garmin watch wise, I have the Forrunner 235. I think I paid in the $225 CDN range on a Boxing Day sale several years ago. The watch has been a taken and it's great for running, hiking, etc. Pretty much anything outdoors. I even used the watch as I rode my bike in a pinch because my bike computer (also a Garmin) was dead.

I realize the price may be a bit more than you're willing to spend, but for me the Garmin has been a good investment.
    thats kind of what has me thinking. I ahve been flirting with a triple sensor and a fitness tracker for a while now. This may just cover a couple of bases for me. I am going to let it marinate for a week or so to avoid an impulse buy, but its looking promising.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by forcemajeure View Post
    REI anniversary sale starts Friday, which includes a 20% off single item for members. I'm pretty sure GPS stuff will be excluded though if the past is any guidance.
    just got the mailer and am checking into it.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Garmin watch wise, I have the Forrunner 235. I think I paid in the $225 CDN range on a Boxing Day sale several years ago. The watch has been a taken and it's great for running, hiking, etc. Pretty much anything outdoors. I even used the watch as I rode my bike in a pinch because my bike computer (also a Garmin) was dead.

I realize the price may be a bit more than you're willing to spend, but for me the Garmin has been a good investment.

Leave a comment:

• forcemajeure
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    If you're a member of REI you could wait for one of their 20% off one full-priced item sales although I don't think they're going to have another one until probably July or something.
    REI anniversary sale starts Friday, which includes a 20% off single item for members. I'm pretty sure GPS stuff will be excluded though if the past is any guidance.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    I’ve got tiny 6” wrists. I can post a wrist shot later. There is no excess strap with this watch - a lot of Casios, on the other hand, I literally have to cut off excess strap length so it doesn’t look dumb.
    Mine are 6.5 and I have the same issue with a lot of straps. I usually end up getting a raf or nato and trimming it. Dang it. This is more than I was intending but it's looking better and better. Does it get calendar notifications by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    you have smaller wrists right? happen to have an on wrist shot? I am less worried about the case and more worried about tons of extra strap.
    I’ve got tiny 6” wrists. I can post a wrist shot later. There is no excess strap with this watch - a lot of Casios, on the other hand, I literally have to cut off excess strap length so it doesn’t look dumb.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Some of the colors are a little cheaper on Amazon, I think I've seen as low as $265. The black one is $282 on Amazon currently. If you're a member of REI you could wait for one of their 20% off one full-priced item sales although I don't think they're going to have another one until probably July or something.
    you have smaller wrists right? happen to have an on wrist shot? I am less worried about the case and more worried about tons of extra strap.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Some of the colors are a little cheaper on Amazon, I think I've seen as low as $265. The black one is $282 on Amazon currently. If you're a member of REI you could wait for one of their 20% off one full-priced item sales although I don't think they're going to have another one until probably July or something.
    a smart man would do that, as I am a member. I tend to lean more on the impractical and impulsive side though.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    I work from home so I am not worried about the styling. I like the instinct but had only seen it in orange or white before just now. I am goign to have to look into it more. Does it dip below the $299.99 msrp often in your experience? a lot of those garmins dont really drop much.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    I recently picked up a Garmin Instinct and I looove it. On top of the GPS/HRM/ABC, it is apparently approved to some military shock/thermal/water resistance standard or another.

The styling is less smart watch-y and more G-Shock-y, which is a matter of preference, but what I really like is how much clearer the display is than previous Garmin models I've owned (Fenix 5s, Forerunner 645). I can read the negative display even in near-darkness. I like it enough I got one for my brother for his birthday (today, incidentally). And the size isn't crazy - I think it's 45mm diameter with 50mm lug-to-lug and 22mm strap width. It's big but reasonable IMO. Certainly easier to wear than most of the higher-end G-Shocks.

It may not be the one if you're looking for something that can transition between work and gym, though, due to the sportier styling.
    I work from home so I am not worried about the styling. I like the instinct but had only seen it in orange or white before just now. I am goign to have to look into it more. Does it dip below the $299.99 msrp often in your experience? a lot of those garmins dont really drop much.

oh, and does it have lap timing?
    Last edited by idvsego; May 13, 2019, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    I recently picked up a Garmin Instinct and I looove it. On top of the GPS/HRM/ABC, it is apparently approved to some military shock/thermal/water resistance standard or another.

The styling is less smart watch-y and more G-Shock-y, which is a matter of preference, but what I really like is how much clearer the display is than previous Garmin models I've owned (Fenix 5s, Forerunner 645). I can read the negative display even in near-darkness. I like it enough I got one for my brother for his birthday (today, incidentally). And the size isn't crazy - I think it's 45mm diameter with 50mm lug-to-lug and 22mm strap width. It's big but reasonable IMO. Certainly easier to wear than most of the higher-end G-Shocks.

It may not be the one if you're looking for something that can transition between work and gym, though, due to the sportier styling.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    What about some kind of digital tracker/smart watch? Say a Garmin? You can load in an appropriate workout app to track your workout and then review everything later if you so desire. Plus the GPS function of the watch will help out when you want to go hiking.
    I am trying to go a little less $$ for gym use but those garmin are very appealing. I have been eyeing one for a while for hiking. We bought one of the kids an apple watch for Christmas and I am kind of waiting to see if he gets tired of it and it ends up on me before I spend more $$ lol.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    What about some kind of digital tracker/smart watch? Say a Garmin? You can load in an appropriate workout app to track your workout and then review everything later if you so desire. Plus the GPS function of the watch will help out when you want to go hiking.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    I have been looking into digital with a lap timer. It records elapsed time and I could hit the lap at the end of each set. As long as I start my next set within my rest period then I am all good. I like the idea of being able to track my set times too. Just to see if I am slowing down in the end compared to the beginning.

Leave a comment:

• caktaylor
    replied
    You may want to look into a “flyback chronograph.” They differ from regular chronograph in that you don’t have to first stop them to reset them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_chronograph

The trick would be finding one with a timing bezel, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X