Remove Shoulder Padding from Summer Cotton Blazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove Shoulder Padding from Summer Cotton Blazer

Hi guys, I just thrifted something which looks to be this: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68370?feat=605-GN1

The shoulder seems lightly padded and it seems that I can just take the padding out and cut it off pretty easily. I have fairly built shoulders so maybe it would be a good idea if I did that. Any thoughts?

That's risky territory. You could be left with a chunk of padding or fabric that won't rest on the shoulder as it was intended. If it was a cheap thrift, and it isn't something you would wear with the padding, and you're looking to experiment, feel free. But that's normally not something you wanna mess with.

Comment

I agree. I'd take it to your local tailor and ask their opinion and see if it's possible to have them put the padding back in place if you don't like the look/feel of it removed.

Judging by that photo, there doesn't seem to be much padding in the shoulder at all, so it may just be worth keeping it as is.

Comment

As other members have already stated; messing with shoulder padding can be some risky business.

IMHO, unless you are okay with possibly altering your blazer to point past repair(not saying you will) then I would suggest trying it on, taking a picture and getting some opinions possibly from the dappered thread community. You may find that the blazer fits fine and you may be overthinking the whole minimal shoulder padding movement. Essentially, unless your shoulders/traps are very developed, I think that you should be fine with light padding but this is based on limited knowledge.

Getting some professional opinion(via your tailor) will definitely help in your future future DIY custom adjustments.

just my two cents!

Comment

Always helpful and insightful advice. Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
          X