Fellas let’s talk about layering in warmer months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellas let’s talk about layering in warmer months

Do you layer in the warmer months? If you do, what are some good layering options. Things that come to mind are cotton cardigans, linen jackets, truckers. My work place is more on the casual side so wearing a linen jacket might be a bit of an overkill. Thanks!

Having lived in very hot climates (Philippines, all of Florida, Houston), usually can't wear too much more than linen or cotton blazer. And that's realistically for just a half an hour to an hour outside in the summer. Indoors I can wear pretty much any of those items all day but the moment I go outside, I usually have to peel it off if I'm going to be out for more than 30 min.

I've thought of more breathable raincoats and what not but even then it gets a little stuffy.

Comment

Originally posted by amitd79 View Post
      Do you layer in the warmer months? If you do, what are some good layering options. Things that come to mind are cotton cardigans, linen jackets, truckers. My work place is more on the casual side so wearing a linen jacket might be a bit of an overkill. Thanks!
      Nope, when it's above 80F. I used to, for the sake of looking good. I know my priority now.

Comment

Simple answer is no. Unless it's purposeful (e.g., a rain coat when it's raining or a light sweater or sweatshirt when/if it cools off at night) or required (suitcoat/sportcoat for work or similar event), I generally refuse to add layers to my body if it's hot. This is also somewhat guided by the fact that I live in NYC and take the subway, and the subway stations expound on the feel of the weather to the point it's pretty unbearable. At most, I put on a vest in the office if the AC is blasting more than the day's heat needs, but rarely does it go outside when I do.

Comment

1st layer-skin
          2nd layer-sweat
          3rd layer-clothes, when appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
            1st layer-skin
            2nd layer-sweat
            3rd layer-clothes, when mandatory
            FTFY
            Ben

Comment

Considering where I live I'm layered up 80% of the time, that would be a hard NO!

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                FTFY
                Thanks! Must have been autocorrect

Comment

I keep a sweater at my desk since the guys there think the office needs to be 70 or colder all the time but for going out and about ... nope. I don't need layers when it's warm.

Comment

Originally posted by amitd79 View Post
                    Do you layer in the warmer months?

i don't even think it's 'warmer' here in boston yet, consistently. i'm already just wearing an oxford every day. maybe v neck undershirt. but that's it until it gets hotter.

when it gets hot i go to a short/long sleeve madras button down. often with an a-type undershirt instead.

the only time i'll put on a jacket is if i'm out on my scooter or motorcycle. maybe a rain coat if it rains.

Comment

In spring and fall we are int he 70s for daytime but it can dip down to the 50s in the evening so I layer so that I can ride with the top down. and my wife likes it way warmer than me so I often have a layer to get rid of when she cranks the heat to 85. In these in between months I usually go for a tank top (not undershirt) and a long sleeve lightweight shirt for road trips. Then a Harrington as a top layer. Or a short sleeve button up and a fleece zip up jacket. I always keep a sweatshirt in the jeep for an extra layer if needed. But just for every day, not really.

Comment

When it's sufficiently hot I don't layer unless I'm at the office in a situation that requires it. At night, if temps cool down sufficiently, I'll throw on an extra layer - usually a light sweatshirt, long sleeved T, or some sort of lightweight casual jacket - denim or light cotton. In the summer here in DC it doesn't cool down enough, even at night, to require layering.
                        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I wish I could comfortably wear layers in warm/hot weather, because I'm very fair and have already had one carcinoma removed from my forehead. But it just gets too hot and humid, so I stick to warm-weather shirt fabrics and keep my sleeves rolled down while I'm outside, and I always wear a hat—out of necessity I've built a nice collection of Panama-style hats. I do wear undershirts, always, because it's easier to replace those when they get gross.

Comment

only time in the months considered 'warmer months' where i'm layering up is when we're camping at yellowstone in may.
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Was thinking about this today, since the high hit low 80s where I live. I kind of dislike wearing just slacks and a shirt - it makes me feel like a waiter or bank teller or something - but I also run hot so if it's 80+ I'm probably gonna take my sports coat off, carry it over my arm on the way to work, and then hang it in my office, which seems kind of pointless. Curious what the rest of you do in that scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X