Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation Request: A good shoe dressing in DC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Recommendation Request: A good shoe dressing in DC

    Hey all,

    As the owner of Strands, Daltons and Mcalisters (all walnut), I am looking for a credible place in DC who can restore (shine/ condition/ dress) that "pop" they used to have.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks in advance, my fellow Dappered brethren.

    Heaf

    #2
    Originally posted by Heafcliffe View Post
    Hey all,

    As the owner of Strands, Daltons and Mcalisters (all walnut), I am looking for a credible place in DC who can restore (shine/ condition/ dress) that "pop" they used to have.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks in advance, my fellow Dappered brethren.

    Heaf
    Maybe just me, but for the shoes you mentioned, I feel like those look better when they're more natural leather, i.e. not shiny (like semi-matte/satin vs high gloss paint) With the brogueing and whatnot, they just look better au natural, some patina, and no mirror shine. If it were some park Aves or other plain toe, non brogue captoes, etc, then a nice shine would serve you well.

    Just some good conditioner and a nice horse hair brush should be all you need (and maybe some Walnut shoe cream from AE), and use the $ saved buying more AE shoes!
    Last edited by Nandyn; April 7, 2019, 06:51 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      You can try Sky Valet: https://www.skyvaletshoes.com/about

      Comment


        #4
        Appreciate the feedback. Definitely don't want a shine. Want the leather to be healthy/conditioned.

        Trust me, the last thing I need is more shoes....I have been eyeing quite a few pairs though. Lol.

        Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
        Maybe just me, but for the shoes you mentioned, I feel like those look better when they're more natural leather, i.e. not shiny (like semi-matte/satin vs high gloss paint) With the brogueing and whatnot, they just look better au natural, some patina, and no mirror shine. If it were some park Aves or other plain toe, non brogue captoes, etc, then a nice shine would serve you well.

        Just some good conditioner and a nice horse hair brush should be all you need (and maybe some Walnut shoe cream from AE), and use the $ saved buying more AE shoes!

        Comment


          #5
          Thank you! They are not too far from me.

          Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
          Last edited by Heafcliffe; April 8, 2019, 06:58 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            If you just want them conditioned, what color(s) are they? I'm right up 295 from DC and have a healthy selection of (mostly AE) creams and what not. Would happily have a bro-date day to play with choos.

            I even have AE chili edge dressing. Totally forgot I had that, I should probably use some.


            ETA: I can also help with a wax application if you're looking to learn that too. Saphir FTW.
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

            Comment


              #7
              Happy Holidays all,

              Thanks for the help with the AEs! Fortunately, I was able to take care them myself but I may need some professional assistance with these Florsheim Imperial Wings 93602 I thrifted.





              They are in great condition but the leather feels considerably different than my AEs. More sturdy, less pliable. Shoes may need a conditioning and the heels a cobbler.

              Sky Valet is rather expensive.

              Any other recommendations in the DC?

              Thanks in advance.

              Heaf

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Heafcliffe View Post
                Happy Holidays all,

                Thanks for the help with the AEs! Fortunately, I was able to take care them myself but I may need some professional assistance with these Florsheim Imperial Wings 93602 I thrifted.





                They are in great condition but the leather feels considerably different than my AEs. More sturdy, less pliable. Shoes may need a conditioning and the heels a cobbler.

                Sky Valet is rather expensive.

                Any other recommendations in the DC?

                Thanks in advance.

                Heaf

                If you don't mind mailing them, Potter and Sons in Nashville. They are on youtube with the channel "Trenton and Heath" and you can see the work they do first-hand there. I'm taking a couple pairs to drop off when I hit up Nashville in September.

                The leather is the same, honestly. Just hit them with some conditioner, then if you want a mirror shine on the toecap you can do that. Neutral Saphir Renovateur would be fantastic.
                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hey all,

                  FWIW, visited Sky Valet (2 min walk away from my job). Unfortunately, the owner told me that they can not replace the heel. The vcleat wouldn't be an issue but the other nails require a machine they do not have. Bummer.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Heafcliffe View Post
                    Hey all,

                    FWIW, visited Sky Valet (2 min walk away from my job). Unfortunately, the owner told me that they can not replace the heel. The vcleat wouldn't be an issue but the other nails require a machine they do not have. Bummer.
                    Nails require a machine?

                    Something's off. Pliers to remove, hammer to install.
                    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

                    Comment


                      #11
                      You can try sending pictures or give a call to Ah One Shoes in Springfield if you're willing to go down there. I think his brother owns Sky Valet but I get the impression his prices would be better...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                        Nails require a machine?

                        Something's off. Pliers to remove, hammer to install.
                        I agree in something being off. Weird vibe in there but I won't venture to assume the worst.

                        Anywho...I do like the work of Potter and Sons. Hoping for something local though.

                        Any other suggestions?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          When I lived in DC a few years ago, I took all my stuff to AH One Shoes in Springfield VA, and was always happy with the results. (The owner is actually the brother of the Sky Valet guy, btw) It looks like he has shut down the physical storefront and switched to online-only, but I imagine he still lives in the area, so might be worthwhile to give him a call?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
                            When I lived in DC a few years ago, I took all my stuff to AH One Shoes in Springfield VA, and was always happy with the results. (The owner is actually the brother of the Sky Valet guy, btw) It looks like he has shut down the physical storefront and switched to online-only, but I imagine he still lives in the area, so might be worthwhile to give him a call?
                            Thank you...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Best Foot Forward in Pentagon City does a really good job (https://www.yelp.com/biz/best-foot-forward-arlington) Have had my Carmina's and AE's done there.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X