McAllister vs. Strand / Walnut vs. Dark Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScottD View Post
    The AE Anniversary Sale catalog came in the mail today. McAllisters will be on sale for $250, Strands $335. So I vote McAllisters.
    Yeah, that's a great price. And if you sign up as a collector, you'd get another 15% off, I think. All you need is a new email address. A pair of McAllisters for $213? A bargain. Jeezzz --- I want another pair. But I have tooooo many shoes already.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
      But I have tooooo many shoes already.
      Said no one ever

Comment

If you already have a pair of brown shoes, I would seriously consider looking at the McAllisters in oxblood. There is almost no situation in which you can't swap dark brown and darker maroon. Oxblood always looks nice to me and seems to help you stand out in the sea of brown shoes while still being conservative vs a walnut/tan shoe.

Related, I just got these in https://taftclothing.com/collections...oot-in-oxblood and I love them

Comment

I'm going to go against the grain here and say:

Strand > McAllister. I think that there is a bit too much brogue detail on a McAllister. The Strand shows off the leather better. Of course, this isn't reason enough to pay an extra $85, so if you're buying them right now, go with McAllister.
          Walnut > chili. Walnut is just so much prettier. And it's a gateway to wearing more light colors. In my view, walnut is the best color with light grey, light blue, some shades of olive or green, as well as working very well with mid-grey, mid-blue, and possibly navy (although that's pretty bold). I also agree with [MENTION=17452]alexd3[/MENTION] that oxblood - which I think the only AE color that's even close to being as pretty as walnut - is a better bet than chili. My oxblood McGregors are one of my favorite pairs of shoes and I have many.

For what it's worth, I have two Strands (walnut + brown/snuff suede) and two McAllisters (brown + merlot, neither of which is available anymore, so I can't vote for either of them. If brown were around, I might well vote for it. It's not as pretty as walnut or oxblood, but it's still a great color because it's got so much depth to it).

I should say that chili isn't my favorite shade, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

One thing you should definitely be aware of is that online photos often make chili look much redder than it usually is in person. In photos it normally looks at least halfway between coffee (standard mid-brown) and oxblood (purplish shade of dark red - but unlike merlot, oxblood is more red than it is purple) and so basically a brownish-red (e.g. the base color is red but the underlying hues are brownish). In person, it is usually more of a medium reddish-brown (e.g. the base color is brown but the underlying hues are red). I'd say it's much more similar to coffee than it is to oxblood. Indeed, in some of the photos of the anniversary sale catalog that came today, I struggled to tell coffee and chili apart. Chili is also a bit darker, though. They are both medium-browns, but coffee is neutral while chili is reddish, and coffee is a true medium, where chili is on the darker side of medium brown.

Comment

Thanks everyone! This is great feedback. Now I want both walnut and dark chili! At least I've decided on McAllisters rather than Strands... leaning dark chili, but we'll see!

Comment

And the good news is, the sale just kicked off. With all that money you're saving, might be a chance to pick both up!

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                I also agree with [MENTION=17452]alexd3[/MENTION] that oxblood - which I think the only AE color that's even close to being as pretty as walnut - is a better bet than chili. My oxblood McGregors are one of my favorite pairs of shoes and I have many.
                Oxblood and similar colors are my favorites for shoes. I'd love a pair of McAllisters in oxblood. And I love my walnut color shoes as well--but some people just don't seem to feel comfortable wearing them with suits.
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
                X