Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polos: Uniqlo and Spier and McKay

Hey all,

I'm a big fan of button down collar polos and want to stock up on a couple before leaving the country. I like the last couple versions of Uniqlo's that I've bought but they can run a little short. I see they've 'brought back' the old fit along with some other changes.

Also it seems that Spier and McKay's button down polos may have gone through some tweaks for 2019 as well.

So my question is, anybody here have recent experience with the latest polos from either brand?

Thanks!

I picked up two of Spier's shirt collar polos this month. They fit similar to the two cutaway collar ones I picked up from them last year (think they changed the naming on the model).

Comment

Bought several of the Spier and McKays when you could get them for $20 each. They're nice, and are a true slim fit, but they are all cotton and so they don't exactly wash up wrinkle free. Not terrible, but they might need a touch up with an iron. The Uniqlos have a more synthetic in them and come out of the wash nicer, but aren't made as well as the S&Ms. I think I like the S&Ms better.

Comment

I find that the Uniqlo polos have a papery feel to them, and don't fit nearly as well as those from Spier & Mackay. I have 4 of last year's shirt collar polos, and just ordered another two of the new models (plus a long sleeve version that's on sale.) Yes, they are a tru slim fit, so be careful when washing if you don't want them to fit even slimmer. Hang dry them. That's what I do. Then 10 minutes in the dryer to fluff them up once already dry. You're welcome.
        instagram.com/cutandbasted
        cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

I bought the new S&M Polo and Tee, just this last weekend. As per their suggestion I sized up, so instead of the usual Small, I went for a Medium. The Small, while trying on, was gripping at the sleeves and fitting really close on the torso. The Medium on the other hand was disturbingly roomy. However, after one wash both the Tee and Polo fit the way I want those to. The sleeves hug my arm, but the torso fits close without hugging my body. The only issue I have is with the length as it could have been an inch lesser.

I bought the green coloured Polo and really love that colour. As for the Tee, I bought a Navy. I know this is not a discussion on Tees, but its really soft and comfortable. I have never owned a Tee that is this comfy.

Comment

I own both, and like them both. The Spier is FAR better quality, but the Uniqlo's lighter weight is nice sometimes in the Texas heat. Fit is very similar on both.
            Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
            Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
            --Jason Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by TheManJournals View Post
              I bought the new S&M Polo and Tee, just this last weekend. As per their suggestion I sized up, so instead of the usual Small, I went for a Medium. The Small, while trying on, was gripping at the sleeves and fitting really close on the torso. The Medium on the other hand was disturbingly roomy. However, after one wash both the Tee and Polo fit the way I want those to. The sleeves hug my arm, but the torso fits close without hugging my body. The only issue I have is with the length as it could have been an inch lesser.

I bought the green coloured Polo and really love that colour. As for the Tee, I bought a Navy. I know this is not a discussion on Tees, but its really soft and comfortable. I have never owned a Tee that is this comfy.
              The s&m polo was roomy before washing? Odd. Mine was really slim to start with - a large s&m polo fits me like a JCrew medium slim fit does!

How did the s&m tee fit?

If anyone wondered how the express polos the site has been pushing fit, they fit me the same way. Large fits me like a JCrew slim fit. For reference, I'm 5'10, 175ish.

Comment

I like the Uniqlo polos quite a bit, if I could change anything it would be that they were about an inch longer in the torso.

It sounds like the fit on the Spier & Mackay may be a dice roll. Thanks all for the responses so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                  The s&m polo was roomy before washing? Odd. Mine was really slim to start with - a large s&m polo fits me like a JCrew medium slim fit does!

How did the s&m tee fit?

If anyone wondered how the express polos the site has been pushing fit, they fit me the same way. Large fits me like a JCrew slim fit. For reference, I'm 5'10, 175ish.
                  The S&M tee, again Medium, fit similar to the Polo, roomy before wash, but after a wash now it fits good - sleeves grip my arm and the torso is slim without hugging my body. Interesting you had a different experience. For most other brands I would straight away go with a Small, unless they advise me to size up like the S&M folks did.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManJournals View Post
                    The S&M tee, again Medium, fit similar to the Polo, roomy before wash, but after a wash now it fits good - sleeves grip my arm and the torso is slim without hugging my body. Interesting you had a different experience. For most other brands I would straight away go with a Small, unless they advise me to size up like the S&M folks did.
                    What's your height/weight if you don't mind, for reference?

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                      What's your height/weight if you don't mind, for reference?
                      I am 5'7", weigh around 70 kgs. I am fairly slim, if that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                        I own both, and like them both. The Spier is FAR better quality, but the Uniqlo's lighter weight is nice sometimes in the Texas heat. Fit is very similar on both.
                        When you say the fit is similar, does this mean you sized up for the S&M polos?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                          When you say the fit is similar, does this mean you sized up for the S&M polos?
                          Wear my normal size in both,
                          Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                          Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                          --Jason Isbell

Comment

I'm 6'3 198 and bought a large in both the S&M and Uniqlo. I'd say they fit comparably, even after a wash. No dryer for the S&Ms though.

Comment

Working...
                            X