Dappered Hiking Pants/Boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dappered Hiking Pants/Boots?

For the past couple years I've been looking for a good, affordable pair of hiking pants. I currently have a cheap-ish pair of hiking pants from Amazon that I'm not crazy about and don't do an especially good job of blocking out wind. Usually when I hike at night now I just use track pants, which are fine, but not especially tough. Because most of my hikes are with larger groups, I'd like to have something that can be functional while still look good. I've wondered how the BR Core Temp pants would work as hiking pants as they are relatively affordable and seem to look pretty good. I'm a bit concerned about their durability and ability to maintain warmth. I've also looked at some pants from Huckberry and Fjalraven, but those are more expensive and I wouldn't want to buy a pair without a better sense of the fit and quality.

I also could use another pair of hiking boots. I have a pair of Columbias that work pretty well, but would look kind of out of place for more casual group hikes. I liked the Danner/Huckberry boots featured on the site earlier this year, but I couldn't swing the price tag before and they are now sold out of my size.

Basically, what would you wear on a hiking date? I feel like if I have better-looking hiking gear, the more likely I'll be to actually plan hikes and organize groups to go.

Check my most recent WIWT post. Prana Brion. They basically look like regular 5 pocket pants, but super stretchy and with some DWR. Slim fit, instead of the usual billowy stuff, but leg opening big enough to fit over some Chippewa's.

What's your shoe size? I ordered a couple pairs (8 & 8.5) of Woolrich's 1830 uncharted (also known as explorer) boots in the tan color when Sierra Trading post was practically giving them away. If you're an 8 or 8.5 you can buy them off me for price paid + actual shipping. Ordered them just before leaving for a week in Iceland and changed my mind on wanting them/keeping them while here, so I haven't actually seen them yet (actually, out for delivery today).

They're supposedly good year welted, but cheap in material/construction, but good enough for occasional use or as beater boots.

https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalef...full/?sort=new

You definitely want better tread for any real hiking, so although Danite may be better than leather soles and whatnot on higher end boots, they won't be as practical on the trail as say a Vibram mini lug or commando sole. You don't want to be the guy dressed dappered eating dirt because you slip on the trail.
    Last edited by Nandyn; March 25, 2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I second the recommendation for the PrAna Brions for all the same reasons. They've been on sale often lately for around $45 on Amazon and at REI.

As far as boots are concerned, if you like the look of the classic Danners, try eBay for the JCrew x Timberland GT Scramble. They were marked way down online, to like $30, in January. There were further discounts in-store afterward. I snagged a pair for $9.99. A guy working there said someone had come in the day before and bought a couple dozen pair. I assume hundreds are destined for eBay. Might be able to score a cheap pair.

Comment

I have the Prana Zion, which I like, but would most likely be too casual for what you are looking for. But the fit is great, so I would recommend checking out the Brion.

For most things hiking related, I trust this site (to get a general idea of which companies to check out the different lines): https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-hiking-pants

And I have been meaning to check a few from this list, but haven't had the opportunity yet https://snarkynomad.com/in-search-of...pants-for-men/
        Last edited by 77Pat; March 25, 2019, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I like the Eddie Bauer Trek pants. Costco has them for $20.

Not sure what to tell you about boots. I mostly wear Merrells for my outdoorsy activities, but they probably don't qualify as dapper.

Comment

I've been a fan of the Gramicci G pant since the early '90s, and given that they have been in constant production since their introduction in 1988 and were named by Outside Magazine as one of the most influential pieces of gear of all time, a lot of other people are fans too. https://www.gramicci.com/shop/mens-o...or=OLIVE+STONE
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ScottD View Post
              I like the Eddie Bauer Trek pants. Costco has them for $20.

Not sure what to tell you about boots. I mostly wear Merrells for my outdoorsy activities, but they probably don't qualify as dapper.
              I need to grab some of those. they dont look bad. I just have problems finding my sizes in store.

as for boots...I have been on this same hunt but the "dappered" boots are more than I really want to pay for something I will tear up. Plus I usually hike in trail runners. But look at the Danner line. I personally like the Merrel Sugarbush in theory but have never tried them on. I will probably get something from one of those if I decide to pull the trigger next season. I live in georgia so hiking in boots probably wont happen for me again until like October.

Comment

I've got Danner boots - Mountain 650s - and I recommend them. I bought them for stomping around at the trailhead when I go skiing, and they've worked well for that. Plenty waterproof, and plenty of grip. They look a bit big and loud, but I still wear them casually on snow days, and they look pretty good. I don't know if I'd use them for actual hiking, though. Boots always feel like overkill to me, and I just wear my trail running shoes.

In addition to Huckberry, check Amazon--the prices tend to swing pretty dramatically there, and you can catch a good deal. Also take a look at backcountry.com.

Comment

Originally posted by robottawa View Post
                  Because most of my hikes are with larger groups, I'd like to have something that can be functional while still look good. I've wondered how the BR Core Temp pants would work as hiking pants as they are relatively affordable and seem to look pretty good. I'm a bit concerned about their durability and ability to maintain warmth. I've also looked at some pants from Huckberry and Fjalraven, but those are more expensive and I wouldn't want to buy a pair without a better sense of the fit and quality.

I also could use another pair of hiking boots. I have a pair of Columbias that work pretty well, but would look kind of out of place for more casual group hikes. I liked the Danner/Huckberry boots featured on the site earlier this year, but I couldn't swing the price tag before and they are now sold out of my size.

Basically, what would you wear on a hiking date? I feel like if I have better-looking hiking gear, the more likely I'll be to actually plan hikes and organize groups to go.
                  In general, I'd wear the real hiking gear (hiking pants, hiking boots, and all that) even when my relationship status was on the line. If the fit is about right, you should look good enough.

Comment

Get gear that is functional. Just make sure it fits reasonably well, is clean (well, at least at the START of the hike), and stick to a grown-up color palette. When in doubt stick to designs that are simpler and sleeker rather than tons of pockets and bells and whistles and unnecessary details.

Or... don't do that stuff, get stuff that is loud and fun and make it a talking point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                    Ben

Comment

Well, I plan on making two pairs hiking pants that can zip off to be shorts. I know I'm going to do things that would make them "undappered" but I don't care because I personally like carrying my water bottles in cargo pockets when I am on the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by akosmowski View Post
                        Well, I plan on making two pairs hiking pants that can zip off to be shorts. I know I'm going to do things that would make them "undappered" but I don't care because I personally like carrying my water bottles in cargo pockets when I am on the trail.
                        My hiking stuff is function then form. I only hike/camp in cargos and most of them are water resistant and easy to wipe clean. I try to make sure they fit well and I stay in a color family so that I coordinate though.

Like I said, I struggle with footwear because the stuff that looks good and performs well is pretty expensive for something with a short shelf life. An expensive pair of hiking boots wont last forever like a good pair of AE or something. The use is just different. You have to find that balance. Now if you are a person that likes to walk in the woods on well packed paths or paved trails then you can get away with a lot of options. I wear chukkas or running shoes on those types of walks and do fine.

Comment

I've got a couple of pairs of Mountain Hardwear AP pants that get pressed into hiking duty. A little bit of flex, but they don't look like stretch pants and I'm totally comfortable getting a post-hike beer in these.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/men...or=233#start=0

Comment

Originally posted by robottawa View Post

I missed this part of the post somehow. Lets define your hikes. If you arent doing more than a few miles and you are walking on well established trails, you dont even need specialty gear, just comfortable gear. People over think hiking sometimes. If you arent doing 10 miles or carrying any kind of load, you dont need anything special. I over-gear when I hike alone, just in case. I have taken my then 6 year old girl on a 7 mile hike that had inclines so steep the park put up a knotted rope and she was wearing old navy athletic gear and sketchers. I had on some dockers shorts, running shoes, and a linen button up and a tank top under it. Carried a 20L daypack with snacks, water, spare socks (because kids), and everyones phones.

If I were going on a group hike I would wear comfy chinos (add a base layer if its chilly), a pair of danner type boots, layer my top, and a small daypack. Because there is no better way to break the ice half way through a hike than to offer water or a clif bar to someone. Want to go the extra mile? carry a couple of little butt pads and some hand sanitizer or wipes. Pad keeps your butt dry and warm if you have to sit on the ground or makes a rock slightly less uncomfortable...and a lady will appreciate that. I appreciate that. I made my own out of a roll of Reflectix from your local home improvement store but you can also buy them. Also a small blister kit. A roll on bandaid stick, some of the new blister bandaids, and some regular bandaids. And advil. Odds are if you are in a hiking group they will be more impressed by your thoughtfulness and preparedness than your shoes.

https://smile.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-.../dp/B01MQRHYJV

Comment

I think this is much more a function over form time. I personally do all my backpacking in Patagonia baggies and throw tights on under if it’s cold. On top is any number of synthetic or wool baselayer tops I have. As for shoes, you DO NOT need hiking boots any nearly all thru hikers and serious backpackers wear trail runners as they’re lighter, more comfortable and breathable. Regarding someone’s comment about “adult” color schemes, bright colors will photograph better in the outdoors. If the people you’re with are hikers I think they’ll be more impressed by your hiking ability than outfit.

Also no cotton! Doesn’t dry, wick and just isn’t comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X