X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loafer28
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
    Thanks! In that case I'm gonna drop em off at the store today.
    Just be aware that the do not replace the leather footbed. I had a similar find with a pair of shell Grayson’s on EBay and had them refinished. Though they are miles better, there still a slight imprint on the leather sole bed. It is not a big deal and diminishes over time. It was still worth it in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Alex.C
    replied
    Thanks! In that case I'm gonna drop em off at the store today.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
    Slight hijack: I scored a pair of Shell cordovan McNeil's on eBay for $50. The fella who owned them before me, clearly was not a 11.5 B and had his feet crammed in there. As a result the footbed is pretty wonky. Does anyone know if they replace the cork during a resole?
    Yes.

New Outsoles
    New Heels
    New Cork Inlay
    New Welting
    New Laces
    Refinished & Hand Polished

https://www.allenedmonds.com/discove...ecrafting.html

Leave a comment:

• Alex.C
    replied
    Slight hijack: I scored a pair of Shell cordovan McNeil's on eBay for $50. The fella who owned them before me, clearly was not a 11.5 B and had his feet crammed in there. As a result the footbed is pretty wonky. Does anyone know if they replace the cork during a resole?

Leave a comment:

• gochrisgo
    replied
    I work in Manhattan and have a long walk to the subway so I’m tough on shoes. I’ve used AE partial or full recraft about 5 times.

Usually they come back almost good as new. An amazing way to add years of wear to a shoe for around $100.

Unfortunately my last batch of recrafts didn’t come back great. I have a small spot of edge dressing in the middle of my walnut McAllisters (my mistake, I dripped when I was polishing them.) I thought they’d get the spot out or blend it in, but they didn’t.

Also — my very favorite and most comfortable pair of AEs, black chukka boots with a bit of brougeing and a subtle blue lining (I think they are Bleecker Streets), were all but ruined by recrafting. I wore them walking through Venice and Rome and tons of work trips. I had them redone with a Danite sole which seemed fitting for a boot. They came back with uncomfortable humps in the footbed. I sent them back for a second look and I don’t think they did anything. Maybe changing to Danite messed them up? If that’s a known problem, I wish they would have told me before making the switch.

I think I generally would recommend AE recraft but be careful. Also if you live near an AE store, they will ship them for you at no cost. It does add to the already long turn around time though since they wait a few days to ship back a bulk.

Leave a comment:

• jayhawk_esq
    replied
    I've been slowly converting all my AE shoes to J. Rendenbach soles (through B. Nelson) when it's time to resole. Haven't used AE's own recrafting service so I can't compare the two, but the Rendenbach soles wear so much more slowly than the standard AE ones that it seems worth the added price.

Leave a comment:

• 74vibrolux
    replied
    A good pair of shoes that will last you another decade are well worth it. For the price you can either gamble on finding a used pair or get your old favorites back into service. While I've not had AE repair any of my shoes, I spent the bucks to have some shell cordovan brogues resoled and it was well worth it.

I say send them in and give them the love they deserve.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    I've had five recrafts, and all of them were impeccable. the shoes looked brand new.

Leave a comment:

• Greyone
    replied
    The AE recraft has become a bit of a lottery lately with the changes the company has been through. There are many cobblers you can send your shoes to and be sure they'll the best job. I can recommend steve doudaklian at leatherrepair.com or nushoe.com unless shipping the shoes is too much hassle.

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    I used AE to resole my chromexcel long branch boots and they worked on the uppers too. The leather had been getting pretty dry because I didn't condition it often enough and they did a good job bringing it back. They looked great.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    I'm not sure I understand why you don't use AE. I don't think you're going to do much better on pricing even with someone local. Maybe $20-$30 less? And you're taking a chance that the local cobbler will do a bad job and not stand behind his work. Plus, AE has everything needed to repair them to original standards.

And it's a lot closer to you than New York.

Leave a comment:

• Shade
    replied
    Make sure you do your homework before using a local "cobbler". Years ago, I took a pair of 270 degree Goodyear welted boots into a local guy here, because the nailed heel began to separate from the upper. I didn't know anything about welts at the time and dropped them off for repair. The idiot used some type of rubber goop to reattach it, didnt nail anything. The goop lasted about a month, began to come apart, and ruined the boots so they couldnt be properly repaired. Lesson learned.

Leave a comment:

• evanparker
    replied
    my closest local guys sucks. costs more than AE.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    I've had two pairs of AE shoes resoled by the a local cobbler. Did a great job. If it wasn't so expensive for me to ship shoes back to AE, I'd probably have them do it.

Leave a comment:

• theskillets
    replied
    I have had multiple pairs of AE shoes resoled by AE. Well worth the price.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X