Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beard trimmer recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Beard trimmer recommendations

    I'm looking to replace my beard trimmer. Currently using a Philips Norelco, and I've been somewhat satisfied with it, but not thrilled. Just doesn't seem that powerful and get jammed up a fair amount. I wouldn't be against buying another to replace this one, but would be interested in others experiences.

    I generally keep my beard quite closely trimmed (setting 5) and do it every 3 days or so.

    #2
    I have a generic Wahl trimmer that plugs in that in the past served me to shave my head with the guards. I now just use a close cut guard and trim my beard with that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #3
      I also have a Wahl "Professional Super Taper II" plug-in clipper that I do my beard and head with. It has a enough oomph to mow through my beard without any trouble and (I've had hair clippers in the past that would bog down when trying to get through coarse beard hair). It's kind of bulky though, so if you're just wanting something for your beard, it might be overkill.

      https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professi...ateway&sr=8-20

      Comment


        #4
        I don't have an answer for you here, but I've been considering posting a similar inquiry, so I'll ask here and semi-hijack your thread. But it's closely related, so I hope you'll pardon my additional question.

        I'm thinking about getting a trimmer that leaves on one or two days' worth of stubble. My wife seems to really like that look and now that I work at home, I don't need to shave it all off as often.

        But I have no clue about how to find a good trimmer/shaver.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

        Comment


          #5
          No personal experience, but I do keep seeing rave reviews for the Philips OneBlade trimmer.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
            No personal experience, but I do keep seeing rave reviews for the Philips OneBlade trimmer.
            I have been using OneBlade for a while and recommend it.

            One tip is if you like smoothing between lengths of the 1mm and the 3mm combs, the 2mm comb is available on Amazon for $20. Sort of expensive for a piece of plastic, but worthwhile imo.

            My only complaint is the blades cost $25 for a two pack.

            Comment


              #7
              I use the Wahl trimmer with no guard.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ianr View Post
                I have been using OneBlade for a while and recommend it.

                One tip is if you like smoothing between lengths of the 1mm and the 3mm combs, the 2mm comb is available on Amazon for $20. Sort of expensive for a piece of plastic, but worthwhile imo.

                My only complaint is the blades cost $25 for a two pack.
                It comes with the 1mm comb? Is that about the length of a day or two worth of stubble? I read that the blades need to be replaced every three or four months. Are you finding they last that long or is your experience different?
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                Comment


                  #9
                  I bought the Remington MB4045B late last year. I wanted something that would help easily taper my beard without having to switch out a ton of combs. So far I have been pretty happy with it.
                  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                    It comes with the 1mm comb? Is that about the length of a day or two worth of stubble? I read that the blades need to be replaced every three or four months. Are you finding they last that long or is your experience different?
                    It comes with the 1mm comb. 1mm looks like short stubble.

                    Three months is about right for blade replacement.

                    I would also recommend taking the blades off and storing separately while travelling as the plastic attachment part is not very durable. Of blades I've replaced, two have been because the plastic attachment piece broke.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Barber here...

                      Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
                      I'm looking to replace my beard trimmer. Currently using a Philips Norelco, and I've been somewhat satisfied with it, but not thrilled. Just doesn't seem that powerful and get jammed up a fair amount. I wouldn't be against buying another to replace this one, but would be interested in others experiences.

                      I generally keep my beard quite closely trimmed (setting 5) and do it every 3 days or so.
                      As a professional Barber I get asked this question a lot. I often just order trimmers for my clients to meet their needs. The trimmers I recommend the most often are these (https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professi...5567&s=gateway) You don't have to purchase them from Amazon, it's just the site I use to track the majority of my business purchases.

                      The reason I recommend these is because of the size of the trimmers and the quality of the product. They are small enough that you can clean up some very sensitive areas easily. Wahl makes some of the best clipper products around, I use them everyday in the barbershop. I do NOT recommend any of the brands you find in grocery stores. Phillips and Norelco, etc. Those things are made to break so you have to go buy new ones.

                      Now to the more important note I'd like to make; Clipper Care. I sanitize and oil my clippers multiple times a day and I've got clippers that are over 10 years old and still working like Day 1. When you are finished cutting your hair, you must brush all the hair out of the blades and apply oil. One drop is sufficient, run the machine for a moment and put it away. Moisture will accumulate on the blades otherwise and begin corroding them, thus making the trimmer have to work harder and burn out faster, costing you money in the long run. Simple upkeep will keep your clippers in good condition for years.

                      A man's beard is the thickest hair on the human body, so go slow and let your trimmers do the work. If you are looking for a good electric shaver I recommend these (https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professi...s%2C213&sr=8-3) Do note however that your hair needs to be short for these to work properly. Manufacturer recommendation is 1/32 of an inch, so after you use your trimmer you use the shaver. Blow it out with canned air to prevent the hair debris from gathering moisture and causing corrosion.

                      Hope this helps,
                      Your friendly neighborhood Barber

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I have some Wahl clippers that have been great for the past 10 years with minimal care. So I vouche for their durability and quality.

                        Originally posted by Ninjarex1 View Post
                        If you are looking for a good electric shaver I recommend these (https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professi...s%2C213&sr=8-3)
                        What’s your experience using this on thick beards, say on a middle eastern gent? I have been disappointed by every electric shaver i’ve tried which makes me skeptical. I know it won’t get close as a razor but will it leave me looking like I haven’t shaved in 2 days?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by ianr View Post
                          It comes with the 1mm comb. 1mm looks like short stubble.

                          Three months is about right for blade replacement.

                          I would also recommend taking the blades off and storing separately while travelling as the plastic attachment part is not very durable. Of blades I've replaced, two have been because the plastic attachment piece broke.
                          I just ordered the entry-level version. Thanks. I'll post an update here if the OP or anyone else is interested.
                          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I think the best by far is the clippers you will see at the barber shop that plug in - Wahl or whatever brand you want. You cant beat them. The plug in, they are sturdy, and with the different clips you can do a lot to your hair, your beard even your eye brows.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              [MENTION=19689]Ninjarex1[/MENTION] thanks for that info. Is their a specific pil or brush you’d recommend?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X