This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Style vs. Lifestyle

After being a dappered follower for a few years, then fading away except to check sale listing and now finding my way back I got to thinking about how style and lifestyle can balance.

Being in my mid-20’s, active, living in the city and spending most my weekends playing in the mountains my style is different than most around here I’m realizing. While a few years ago I would’ve said no to things like lulu pants as the rest around here do, now I find they just work in my life riding a bike around the city or just walking a lot. Being outdoorsy I also find that my down sweater (in a bright color) is my go to jacket in the winter since when I do drive I hate wearing a long coat and when on the subway find it gives me the best temperature regulation through subway microclimates. I personally view wearing things like well fitting outdoorsy outerwear as a way to inject a sense of my personal lifestyle and hobby’s into my everyday. I know many here will scoff at that, but dappered says fit first and my stuff does fit well. I guess my question to everyone is how do you inject your lifestyle into your style or do you mostly follow the “dappered uniform”?

I never dress up too much more than I need. If by "dappered uniform" you mean blazers, chinos, smart leather shoes, I used to dress like that occasionaly when I was still working an IT job in an office, but even then I would be the most dressed up as people are actually allowed to wear jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies. If I'm just going around the city or to the mall I'd feel silly wearing the dappered uniform. I actually prefer casual wear (and I don't mean sweatpants and bulky trainers), and I always follow the principles of good fit, color coordination, etc.

Comment

I used to dress like a skater or a hip hop dancer to work, so you do you.

Nowadays my lifestyle is wearing a sport coat LOL (not really). People who assume what I do or enjoy doing based on what I wear will be most likely flat out wrong. Typical weekdays I drive everywhere, walk from parking lot to buildings.

I own active clothing but my business casual wardrobe is way bigger so that's what I wear everyday (overdressed for life!).

Comment

I like being what most would consider "overdressed" when I am out and about. As a retired person, my days are my own but I sincerely enjoy being the best dressed person in the room, store, etc.

I have a nice ski jacket (Spyder) that I occasionally wear when I am out and about. Other days I will wear an overcoat. Sometimes I will put on a tie and a jacket to go to the supermarket.

I don't let my clothing define me but rather wear what brings me joy. That may be a pair of AE 5th Avenues or a pair of PJ Flyers.

Comment

I am kind of splitting the difference myself between the dappered look one influenced by skiing (the action sports side of it). I'm still very much in to the action sports scene and I enjoy the look, so really it is just different outfits for different times.

Comment

I am probably overdressed 99% of the time. Going for groceries? Driving to the library just to drop off a book? Heading to the mechanics to shoot the shit with my friends? Popping down to the beer store? Any and all of the above I'll be dressed nicely with a good pair of shoes on and wearing watch. I put thought in to all of my outfits, where I'm going, what I'll be doing, etc..

This is a far cry from maybe 10+ years ago when I didn't give a hoot about what I looked like or what I wore. Amazing to think about it now.

Comment

Look at my signature on here.

The last six weeks, I've been working at home. I still get dressed every day.

Right now I'm wearing nice dark washed jeans, a long sleeve polo shirt, and moccasin style slippers with socks. I'm wearing a belt. Other than the slippers, that's casual Friday for the lawyers at my old firm. When they work on the weekends, they show up in shorts, t-shirts sports teams or advertising on them, sweats, sneakers, and so forth. I can't imagine what they wear when they work at home.

If I were to go run an errand, I'd probably put on my Chelsea boots and a jacket or sweater. I might put on a nicer button down shirt.

Yesterday, I wore chinos and a Henley shirt with the slippers as well after I got home from court (I wore a suit there). Monday, I wore chinos and a long sleeve t-shirt and my AE Acheson loafers.

So, could I work in LuLu pants, athletic wear, sneakers, pajamas, and so forth? Yes, but getting dressed in something a little more formal puts me in the right mindset to work, I think.

Therefore, in terms of the OP's original thoughts, I think for me it's more about style than lifestyle. Right now, with my lifestyle, I could work in pajamas or even my undershorts 80% of the time. Nevertheless, I choose to put on some street clothing. But, that's balanced, because my favorite things to wear are dress clothes--blazers, suits with a tie, dress trousers, dress shoes, etc. But for now, I'm not going to go through all that just to work at home.
              WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Appropriate, but nicer than average, is a good way to sum up what I aim for. I used to be more into over-dressing a little, because my initial focus on style was geared heavily toward my work attire (which is higher-end biz casual, up through full biz professional, plus formal wear for events). Once I got to a place that I liked with that stuff, I started back filling my other attire. Once I got in a relationship, my going-out style when I'm with "the guys" is much more casual, but still nice, vs. when I was single and that was when I was scouting for potential mates I'm still working on finding what I actually like to wear casually vs. just going with buttondown/jeans/maybe-sportcoat that was my go-to for so long. I still do that sometimes (and especially if we're doing a dinner or other date, by ourselves or with others), but it isn't the uniform necessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  I am probably overdressed 99% of the time. Going for groceries? Driving to the library just to drop off a book? Heading to the mechanics to shoot the shit with my friends? Popping down to the beer store? Any and all of the above I'll be dressed nicely with a good pair of shoes on and wearing watch. I put thought in to all of my outfits, where I'm going, what I'll be doing, etc..

This is a far cry from maybe 10+ years ago when I didn't give a hoot about what I looked like or what I wore. Amazing to think about it now.
                  Wearing a watch is now considered dressing up?

We're all doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by caktaylor View Post
                    Wearing a watch is now considered dressing up?

We're all doomed.
                    I would say smart phones have replaced lots of things we used to have, including watches.

Still wear them though, it looks good, and I can check the time more discreetly while I'm with a client.
                    Tilt head slightly down, serious thinking/listening face. That's all it takes!

Comment

Originally posted by mochi123 View Post
                      I would say smart phones have replaced lots of things we used to have, including watches.

Still wear them though, it looks good, and I can check the time more discreetly while I'm with a client.
                      Tilt head slightly down, serious thinking/listening face. That's all it takes!
                      I get it. It just makes me sad. I feel naked without a watch.

OK, maybe not naked, but I feel like something is missing. And, I end up looking at my naked wrist whenever I want to know the time before digging out the iPhone. Of course, I've worn watches since before I started Kindergarten. And that was a very long time ago.

Comment

I think that the notion of "style" and "lifestyle" being at odds with one another is probably incorrect. It is true that the Dappered website frequently focuses on a certain business-casual look, usually incorporating a tailored jacket of some sort. In fact, there was a “contest” recently where forum members posted their best imitation of the “Dappered uniform”, usually photographed in front of a brick wall.

However, most people would agree that dressing with “style” needs to fit into the broader picture of dressing according to ones “lifestyle.” Your style of dress will depend greatly on whether you spend the majority of your time in an office, at home, or outdoors.

I’ve had to come to grips with the fact that even thought I love wearing suits and blazers, they just don’t fit into my lifestyle.* Thus, I’ve adjusted my mode of dress to be less “refined” and more “rugged” or even “edgy.” It sounds like you’ve found a system for yourself that works. I would encourage you to continue to do what you’re doing. Check out other websites that focus more on casual clothing, outdoor gear or even street wear (PrimerMagazine.com, dieworkwear.com, putthison.com, etc.) And don't be afraid to experiment. Even in the last several years that I've been focusing on dressing better, my preferred "style" has evolved significantly.

*Sadly, I still continue to buy blazers even though I won’t wear them very much. It’s an addiction. LOL. Similarly, I just purchased a nice tuxedo even though I only go to about one formal event per year.)
                        Last edited by TMann; March 8, 2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caktaylor View Post
                          I get it. It just makes me sad. I feel naked without a watch.

OK, maybe not naked, but I feel like something is missing. And, I end up looking at my naked wrist whenever I want to know the time before digging out the iPhone. Of course, I've worn watches since before I started Kindergarten. And that was a very long time ago.
                          I always wear a watch. But let's be serious, a watch these days is jewelry because everyone carries a phone

Comment

I've been on the Dappered train for years now, and my wardrobe is at a point where I don't need to check here as often. I can throw together a sharp outfit from muscle memory any morning for work. For casual settings I've begun developing a urban Dappered style to reflect my city lifestyle. It's fun, actually, evolving your look from a solid base like Dappered. Keeps the Banana Rep/J. Crew/Bonobos/Red Wing clothing fresh and more edgy.

Comment

Being able to put together a look from muscle memory is pretty good. I still follow several people on Instagram that regularly put together good outfits. And yes, I've been guilty of co-opting those outfits when it suits me.

I do find that I need to be in the zone though when putting outfits together. For example if I don't put some thought in to it, I end up wearing something that I'm not comfortable with. So I'm not quite at the muscle memory area of dress yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X