Did We Get Duped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shade View Post
    Not to sound like an uppity dick, but $125 isnt exactly "luxury prices". Brooks Brothers non-iron cloth shirts, sprayed with embalming fluid are around $140.
    I don't think you sound like a dick, and I still think spending $125 for one shirt is a luxury purchase. We may be defining the term differently. Online forums seem to have a skewed perception in terms of price. Guys on this forum or others along the same topic look at a pair of $200 or $300 shoes as "entry level" where most of the world would see that as an extravagant purchase. My girlfriend thinks $65 is a lot to spend on one shirt. I do okay financially, but not so well that buying $100+ shirts is a wise choice on a regular basis (though I do have a couple).

Comment

I thought about this thread when I saw these: https://huckberry.com/store/proof/ca...omad-pant-slim

$98 for 100% polyester pants is a tough pill to swallow for me. Maybe they're amazing?

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
        Not to dig this back up, but I got an email from Proper Cloth that perfectly illustrates my question. They're advertising their 55% linen, 45% rayon shirts for $125 with the rationale that rayon adds comfort. My intial question was meant to start a discussion about whether some might be paying luxury prices for second rate synthetic materials.

https://propercloth.com/dress-shirts...nd-222617.html
        Rayon isn't in the same category as a synthetic, petroleum-derived textile. Technically it's the blanket term for any fabric constituted of regenerated cellulose. The various versions such as viscose, modal, Lyocell/Tencel cuproammonium (Bemberg) are determined by the process used to render the plant material into threads, and then further subdivided by the type of plant (such as beech or alder, cotton lint or bamboo).

Sometimes referred to as semi-synthetic, such fabrics retain the general breathability of older, less-processed cellulose-based textiles. Texture, dye-fastness, durability and the like depend on the material and process, but they'll always beat the sythetics in the same areas as cotton or linen.

Comment

On Fathers Day Remember, Ban-Lon Brookview is the Daddy of Them All.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis Hollow View Post
            I thought about this thread when I saw these: https://huckberry.com/store/proof/ca...omad-pant-slim

$98 for 100% polyester pants is a tough pill to swallow for me. Maybe they're amazing?
            I wouldn't call them amazing. I handled a pair of last year's - they'd be great for cycling, hiking, or any other activity that involves strenuous activity and requires freedom of movement, especially if it's something you might get wet doing as they will dry a lot faster than a stretch cotton garment. They'd work in the gym if you wanted an elevated pant that doesn't look specifically athletic that still gives free movement - like, suppose if you were a personal trainer or physical therapist and wanted to look more put together than the average Adidas/Nike/Puma/[insert brand here] sweat pant allows. As for the office...they'd only work if it's pretty casual - like say outdoor chic is the motif or with a T shirt and sneaks. In person up close you can tell they're synthetic, not natural fiber, and hence they don't look as office appropriate as wool dress pants or even all cotton chinos, and they have that synthetic fiber swish when you walk. In a workplace that requires a tie or jacket they wouldn't look right IMO.

All that said I'm sure Lululemon and all the outdoor apparel companies all have something comparable, and they're probably not all that much if any cheaper, so I wouldn't call them a ripoff. Huckberry implies they go from office to off duty athletic activity but I didn't think they'd be appropriate for my office. I could see myself wearing them biking home from work with a stop at a pub for dinner on a Friday - basically a situation when you don't want to be in "biking" gear but want something that will wick sweat and be comfortable if you have to climb some hills to get to your destination. Hiking, rock climbing, yoga (so long as the swish won't interfere with your zen) - they'd be great for that stuff.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
              Rayon isn't in the same category as a synthetic, petroleum-derived textile. Technically it's the blanket term for any fabric constituted of regenerated cellulose. The various versions such as viscose, modal, Lyocell/Tencel cuproammonium (Bemberg) are determined by the process used to render the plant material into threads, and then further subdivided by the type of plant (such as beech or alder, cotton lint or bamboo).

Sometimes referred to as semi-synthetic, such fabrics retain the general breathability of older, less-processed cellulose-based textiles. Texture, dye-fastness, durability and the like depend on the material and process, but they'll always beat the sythetics in the same areas as cotton or linen.
              Any fabric that is advertised as made of bamboo is a form of cellulose fabric - a variation on rayon. Rayon and related feel a lot less synthetic than polyester fabrics - and they're as soft (and really, if we're being honest softer) than cotton or hemp, or any other natural fiber except maybe silk. It's definitely a different textile altogether than the petrochemical based fabrics - polyester of various stripes. The downside is I think these fabrics absorb water and hence stay wet just as long as cotton, so for performance workout gear they're not the best. For casual everyday wear the absorbency and softness makes them pretty comfortable - a lot of the newer fancier boxer briefs brands (Mac Weldon, Tommy John, etc.) use modal or rayon variants for that reason.
              “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Burner View Post
                My poly workout gear also gets hung up to dry after use. After a day or so, when fully dry, it goes into the hamper. Normal wash and dry cycles. I've never had a problem with lingering stink. In fact, I have some Under Armour shirts and shorts that I've been using like this (each once a week) for about 8 years. They smell like fresh dryer sheets every time put them back on.
                Protip to everyone on here: toss your deoderant, buy and use Mitchum deoderant instead. I don't understand what magic is in it because it seems to have the same ingredients as everything else, but it works SUBSTANTIALLY better. Stink of anything will never be an issue again because you'll never stink again.

I've had multiple people listen to me on this one and then report back that I am correct.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                  I've been wearing suits since the days of polyester leisure suits and I can testify to synthetic fabrics having improved.

I refused to wear synthetic fabrics for years, especially for socks and underwear. But over the last year, I've purchased some kind of magic fabric socks from Nordstrom and I quite like them. Same for Tommy John underwear.

For outerwear, especially dress clothes, I still prefer natural fabrics like wool and cotton. But who knows--maybe I'll start to like polyester suits.
                  Hey Mebe, do you have a link to the Nordstrom socks? I need a recco for good socks. Did you size down in them? Theirs seem to run huge.

Comment

Originally posted by gochrisgo View Post
                    Hey Mebe, do you have a link to the Nordstrom socks? I need a recco for good socks. Did you size down in them? Theirs seem to run huge.
                    These are a good fit for my size 12.5 feet, but could be a bit smaller and still fit; there is only one size:

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...for-30/4693145

So, I'm guessing that anyone smaller than about a 10 might not like the fit.

Same with these:

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...for-30/4861148

On the other hand, the knee-high socks that [MENTION=1968]Joe[/MENTION] likes so much are huge even on my feet.

And these cashmere socks are maybe a tad smaller than the first two, but still are good for me:

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...-socks/4956671

My conclusion is that Nordstrom is all over with sizing on their house brand socks.
                    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                      These are a good fit for my size 12.5 feet, but could be a bit smaller and still fit; there is only one size:

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...for-30/4693145

So, I'm guessing that anyone smaller than about a 10 might not like the fit.

Same with these:

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...for-30/4861148

On the other hand, the knee-high socks that [MENTION=1968]Joe[/MENTION] likes so much are huge even on my feet.

And these cashmere socks are maybe a tad smaller than the first two, but still are good for me:

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...-socks/4956671

My conclusion is that Nordstrom is all over with sizing on their house brand socks.
                      Thanks for the help with the Nordstrom socks. I was in their Men's Store in midtown NYC on Friday night trying to figure it all out, but they only carry a small selection of the store brand stuff in store. I assume they'd rather sell the more expensive designer stuff and more interesting things than socks in such a premium store?

Anyway, I've been buying the Joe wool socks and really liking them - but I am a 13 and have to size down. They are crazy long. I was going to buy more of them, but not sure that I want that kind of heigh for summer dress socks.

Comment

Bringing back this old thread:

I'm with OP, we're being duped with "performance" fabrics and their cousin the "tech fabric." I'm particularly annoyed when they're advertised as "sustainable" when they are objectively worse for the environment. When it comes to heat retention, breathability, and moisture wicking, synthetics are and will always be far inferior. Too many people are paying premium prices for cheap products that are marketed to ignorant consumers. I'll tolerate synthetics for workout gear at most but these 100% polyester shirts by M+M are a sham; as are those 60/40 wool /poly blended suits by J.Crew, and many other products out there. This is actually one of my only complaints about this site: Joe is far too tolerant of synthetic materials.

I think Spier & Mackay read one of my recent tangents on synthetics because when they released their all cotton chinos in February they expressly extolled the virtues of natural fibers over synthetics. Major credit to them.

Comment

Banana is probably making at least an 80% margin on their Core Temp chinos, but I don't care I'm sold. For some reason I had the hardest time finding traditional cotton khaki pants that didn't shink, or fit me wonky after a while. Core Temp has been a godsend, even it it's man-made!

Comment

Working...
                          X