Did We Get Duped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did We Get Duped?

Pretty much every clothing brand offers some type of "performance fabric" in everything from shirts, the pants, to suits. I place performance in quotes because it's basically a euphemism for a synthetic blend fabric. Material costs f ou r natural fibers go up all the time. Wool prices have jumped, and I don't know much about cotton, so I get that companies want to save money by making blends.

Back in the day, anything with synthetics was seen as cheap, and blended fabrics weren't seen as a plus. Now, it seems like almost every company is falling over themself to advertise their "tech" or "performance" clothing. Have synthetics really come that far, or are we getting hustled by flashy marketing to think that blend fabric is better than natural fibers for workwear?

I can't speak for every company, but I'll be damned if UNIQLO's Airism mesh undershirts aren't made of the most breathable fabric ever created by man or nature.

You could probably make a comparably open, airy weave using vicuna and merino wool, but it sure wouldn't cost $9.90 with free shipping lol.

Comment

Synthetics really have come that far. Uniqlo airism is, as stated, pretty amazing. Banana Republic stretch jeans and chinos look and drape exactly like their 100% natural fiber cousins, but feel like wearing pajamas.

Done right, synthetic blends can be great.

Comment

Originally posted by believe0101 View Post
        I can't speak for every company, but I'll be damned if UNIQLO's Airism mesh undershirts aren't made of the most breathable fabric ever created by man or nature.

You could probably make a comparably open, airy weave using vicuna and merino wool, but it sure wouldn't cost $9.90 with free shipping lol.
        That's fair, synthetics in workout clothing is understandable. I'm referring more to places like Mizzen and Main that charge $145 for a polyester and spandex dress shirt. I use them as an example, but I'm really talking about any company that charges a lot for synthetic blend dress shirts, dress pants, and suits.

Comment

Speaking of merino, want to become a billionaire, find a way to produce merino as cheaply as cotton. Merino is legit magic. I will never understand how the same light sweater that can keep me warm when it's 50 out doesn't get too hot when I walk into a heated house that's 80.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
            Speaking of merino, want to become a billionaire, find a way to produce merino as cheaply as cotton. Merino is legit magic. I will never understand how the same light sweater that can keep me warm when it's 50 out doesn't get too hot when I walk into a heated house that's 80.
            Merino doesn't keep me warm. I have merino from S&M and BR and I am still cold.

As for synthetics, I am ok with them if there is a bit of it within a garment but not 100% current unless specifically for athletic purposes.

Comment

Synthetic fibers have a wiiiiiide range of performance, cost, and ease of production.

There is a massive difference from a manufacturer adding in 2% lycra for stretch pants and selling a 5%/5%/90% wool/cotton/polyester pants.

Comment

I've been wearing suits since the days of polyester leisure suits and I can testify to synthetic fabrics having improved.

I refused to wear synthetic fabrics for years, especially for socks and underwear. But over the last year, I've purchased some kind of magic fabric socks from Nordstrom and I quite like them. Same for Tommy John underwear.

For outerwear, especially dress clothes, I still prefer natural fabrics like wool and cotton. But who knows--maybe I'll start to like polyester suits.
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I own a sweater 60% merino-40% acrylic and a polo 60% cotton-40% poly.

This sweater is the only one I launder at home often because the sweater retains body odor. My 100% wool sweaters stay smell free.
                  I have no complaint regarding the polo, but I wash every polo after a wear. No complaints about the feels.

Comment

Odor retention is my main complaint about synthetics. I have one pair of 100% synthetic "athleisure" pants (Lululemon) that I wore to the office last week because we had office yoga (one of my coworkers moonlights as a yoga instructor so we have office yoga once a month on a Friday). Jesus did I stink by the end of the day. Never again. I'll wear real pants and switch into gym clothes next time.
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      Odor retention is my main complaint about synthetics. I have one pair of 100% synthetic "athleisure" pants (Lululemon) that I wore to the office last week because we had office yoga (one of my coworkers moonlights as a yoga instructor so we have office yoga once a month on a Friday). Jesus did I stink by the end of the day. Never again. I'll wear real pants and switch into gym clothes next time.
                      Patagonia makes synthetics that don't stink. Some sort of long lasting treatment

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        Yeah, I have that problem with most synthetic fabrics when I perspire even a little. Horrible.
                        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                          Yeah, I have that problem with most synthetic fabrics when I perspire even a little. Horrible.
                          Same here, especially with Uniqlo's Airism and Heat Tech undershirts. The Airism ones are especially bad, while it's almost never the case with my cotton undershirts. I've even washed the Airism shirts before, and they still stink.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
                            Have synthetics really come that far
                            Yes.

At least the good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
                              Yes.

At least the good ones.
                              Care to elaborate? I clarified in a previous post that I'm not talking about workout or leisure clothes, I'm talking about dress shirts, pants, and suits. For example, a 100% synthetic dress shirt for $145. Synthetics are that good?

Comment

Working...
                              X