Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too many shoes - anyone else have this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Agreed. I may list a few pairs of Aldens here shortly but besides that, it's not worth selling most of them.

Same here. I'm a UK8/EU42/US9 generally.

This is a valid point. That's one reason I got away from shoes and more in to watches. It's easier to flip watches if you end up with too many.

With all that being said, I did pick up quite a few pair of shoes during the most recent Mr. Porter sale. I have a pair of Santoni's and John Lobbs coming in today. I'm really hoping I don't like the Lobbs. I know they are regularly $1500 and I got them for $800 but that's still a lot of money for a pair of shoes.

I will say that Santoni's are very underrated. They are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever put on. None of the break in period you experience with AE. AE's are some of the most overrated shoes IMO. Way too much money for what you get. I should probably spin this off in to a separate thread . . .
    Yes--let's spin this off to a separate thread! I've been thinking about starting a shoe collection thread. Shoes--Want'em--Got'em. Or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by chiconice View Post
    Shoes are my hobby. So I have way too many than what I need. I do tend to buy quality shoes at the price that most men buy there cheap shoes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    I'm with you--I feel like I'm a collector. Shoes are the only thing I've ever collected since I was a kid when I collected baseball cards.

And I'm planning on collecting more. Even if I hate myself in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    Sweet! Two three pairs of JFtizpatrick shoes. I have a pair of Issaquah tassel loafers and love them. Still waiting for my MTO button boots.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Originally posted by Shade View Post
    I want to get rid of some more, but price and shipping doesnt seem like it would be worth it to me, so I keep them.
    Agreed. I may list a few pairs of Aldens here shortly but besides that, it's not worth selling most of them.

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Sorry, 8.5 or 9
    Same here. I'm a UK8/EU42/US9 generally.

Originally posted by julius12 View Post
    I was making a point to Raakish that wanting to keep buying more stuff without checking yourself is not good.
    This is a valid point. That's one reason I got away from shoes and more in to watches. It's easier to flip watches if you end up with too many.

With all that being said, I did pick up quite a few pair of shoes during the most recent Mr. Porter sale. I have a pair of Santoni's and John Lobbs coming in today. I'm really hoping I don't like the Lobbs. I know they are regularly $1500 and I got them for $800 but that's still a lot of money for a pair of shoes.

I will say that Santoni's are very underrated. They are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever put on. None of the break in period you experience with AE. AE's are some of the most overrated shoes IMO. Way too much money for what you get. I should probably spin this off in to a separate thread . . .

Leave a comment:

• julius12
    replied
    Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
    The OP seems like a nice, well-educated guy who happens to like shoes. I somewhat doubt keeping what shoes he has, or even buying more shoes if he so desires, is going to turn him into an introverted, dumbed down, impoverished monster of some type.
    I was making a point to Raakish that wanting to keep buying more stuff without checking yourself is not good. But I'm not affected by his shopping, or yours, or OP's, so shop away.

Leave a comment:

• chiconice
    replied
    Shoes are my hobby. 35+ quality shoe/boot pairs. That's not counting 15 shoes before I became a shoe aficionado (that I don't wear any more)

Leave a comment:

• chiconice
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    I think I might have reached maximum shoe ownership...

The funny part is there are more shoes not even in the picture. (Bonus if you can see the non shoe item in the photo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoes are my hobby. So I have way too many than what I need. I do tend to buy quality shoes at the price that most men buy there cheap shoes.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Originally posted by Banks View Post
    I’ve found that it helps to keep a list of what I currently have, along with noting particular styles that I’d like to add in the future. I also try to avoid owning multiple shoes/boots in similar styles & colors. In my opinion, having to spend time on routine care for leather shoes is enough incentive to avoid having a bigger collection.

If the issue is space, that can always be addressed with creative thinking.
    Yeah, this is a good idea. Keeping a list of what I currently have. When the latest AE sale came up I had to head downstairs and do a manual count/review to make sure I wasn't buying something that I already owned.

But space is definitely an issue. I need to share the closet in the photo with my wife, so I can't expand upwards. I'll definitely have to come up with some creative thinking. Ideally, keeping all the shoes in the same room because once they spill out to another room, they tend to be out of sight/out of mind.

Originally posted by julius12 View Post
    OP is right in realizing he has too many shoes. He can easily pick 3 or 4 pairs to wear in a row, and the average non-stylish person would think it's probably the same shoe.
    <snip>
    Whoa! If I said anything about having too many shoes, it was definitely tongue in cheek. Now, if I could just convince the cat to stop taking up so much space in the closet I could pick up a couple more pairs...

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
    The OP seems like a nice, well-educated guy who happens to like shoes. I somewhat doubt keeping what shoes he has, or even buying more shoes if he so desires, is going to turn him into an introverted, dumbed down, impoverished monster of some type.
    Thanks [MENTION=13026]Evenflow[/MENTION]. I will confirm that I am indeed a nice, well-educated guy who happens to like shoes. Heck, I'll even include boots in there too

Leave a comment:

• Evenflow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• julius12
    replied
    Originally posted by Raakish View Post
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question, especially the use of the word "problem" in the title.

Seriously, I think having a large variety simply gives lots of options, especially in a region with marked weather seasons. Lots of boots for cold--dress, casual, water-resistant--and a number of sneakers and light-weight loafers for warm weather. Plus multiple other shoes for work and nicer events.

OP is right in realizing he has too many shoes. He can easily pick 3 or 4 pairs to wear in a row, and the average non-stylish person would think it's probably the same shoe.

"Consumerism becomes excessive when it extends beyond what is needed. When we begin consuming more than is needed, boundaries are removed."

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/e...e-consumerism/

"[M]aterialism is associated with lower levels of well-being, less pro-social interpersonal behavior, more ecologically destructive behavior, and worse academic outcomes. It also is associated with more spending problems and debt"

https://www.vox.com/2014/12/24/74477...ism-psychology

Leave a comment:

• Raakish
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    I think I might have reached maximum shoe ownership...
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question, especially the use of the word "problem" in the title.

Seriously, I think having a large variety simply gives lots of options, especially in a region with marked weather seasons. Lots of boots for cold--dress, casual, water-resistant--and a number of sneakers and light-weight loafers for warm weather. Plus multiple other shoes for work and nicer events.

Leave a comment:

• winghus
    replied
    I have 14 pairs I wear regularly and a few I never wear and have no more room for any. I would like to fill a few holes in my lineup and upgrade a few of the ones I have to better versions.

Leave a comment:

• julius12
    replied
    I limit myself to only 12 pairs made up of:
    Black cap toes
    Brown brogues
    Black rubber chelseas
    Tan chelseas
    Black and brown chukkas
    Black and tan work boots
    Tan drivers
    Gray canvas sneakers
    White leather sneakers
    Flip-flops

Leave a comment:

• Banks
    replied
    I’ve found that it helps to keep a list of what I currently have, along with noting particular styles that I’d like to add in the future. I also try to avoid owning multiple shoes/boots in similar styles & colors. In my opinion, having to spend time on routine care for leather shoes is enough incentive to avoid having a bigger collection.

For dress shoes, I’ve got 9, though one is a black cap toe that I only wear for formal occasions. Of the remaining 8, some get more wear in spring/summer and others get more wear in fall/winter.

When I’m not in dress shoes I’m usually in sneakers in summer and boots in fall/winter/spring. I think I’ve got 3 or 4 sneakers and 7 or 8 boots, all different colors or styles. Add in two pairs of non-dress shoes, gym shoes, duck boots and insulated winter boots and I’m right around 25.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    Dress shoes like 5 pairs. I prefer to wear them out and replace versus having tons.
    Including non dress shoes probably 20

Leave a comment:

Working...
X