Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which cheapo dive watch?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by mobaxter View Post
    Not the cheapest but I like the Citizen Promaster Diver watch because it is an eco-drive.
    Heck yea. Ultimately I'd like to get a Citizen BN0191-55L but other than grey market I haven't seen it for less than $250 (unlike the Duro--42 bucks)! I recently acquired a Citizen Promaster Tough (the green one) and love it.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by idvsego View Post
      my before and after. I added the bracelet, brushed the surface so it didnt have so much shiny on it, and replaced the insert just because I wanted to.






      this is the bracelet I used. Cheap but al solid links. Very decent bracelet but not dainty...
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-20-22-24...d=131254343274
      Thanks for the comments. The duro looks great on that bracelet!

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by SwiftToole View Post
        Thanks for the comments. The duro looks great on that bracelet!
        its what made it wearable for me. Made it a big bold sports watch but it seemed to fit.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by idvsego View Post
          fantastic option. smaller than Duro, comes with a decent bracelet (way better than the timex), and is auto...if that matters to you.
          Actually, the one he referred to was the 8932OB, which is the quartz version. I had a couple quartz Invicta Pro Divers, and although I loved them at the time, all of them broke on me within a couple years of very gentle use, so I'm hesitant to recommend one over the Casio unless you need a smaller model. (That said, I still have and love my auto 8926.)

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by tim_g20t View Post
            Actually, the one he referred to was the 8932OB, which is the quartz version. I had a couple quartz Invicta Pro Divers, and although I loved them at the time, all of them broke on me within a couple years of very gentle use, so I'm hesitant to recommend one over the Casio unless you need a smaller model. (That said, I still have and love my auto 8926.)
            good catch, i skimmed that. the 8926 can be had for $52 but usually more like $70. I have never tried their quartz, only the auto with the seiko movement.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by SwiftToole View Post
              Thought about the Invicta--really like the look of it--but I think it will wear a little small on my wrist.
              How big are your wrists and what kind of wrist presence do you want? The Invicta case size is pretty classic. I have one that was modded by [MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] and while I have smallish wrists, I find the size to be super versatile and I beat the hell out of it as well. (It's also easily moddable if you tire of the styling).
              Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
              Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
              --Jason Isbell

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by BillN View Post
                How big are your wrists and what kind of wrist presence do you want? The Invicta case size is pretty classic. I have one that was modded by [MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] and while I have smallish wrists, I find the size to be super versatile and I beat the hell out of it as well. (It's also easily moddable if you tire of the styling).
                7 and 3/4 inches. Right now, the largest watch I own is 42 mm, so I figure I could add a larger watch.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by SwiftToole View Post
                  7 and 3/4 inches. Right now, the largest watch I own is 42 mm, so I figure I could add a larger watch.
                  Hell, go with a 44mm with a big wrist like that.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    New here, from the UK, but know the shipping is good to almost anywhere these days so how about a Vostok Amphibia from Meranom.com (other retailers are available)? Handsome watches in an array of designs and cases that are versatile in terms of strap/bracelet choices and also a genuine automatic dive watch with pedigree and heritage. Love my Steve Zissou, wear it anywhere I'm likely to be active or near water, dresses up and down well. Will add some pictures later.

                    https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-cla...ic-420526.html

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by stevat View Post
                      New here, from the UK, but know the shipping is good to almost anywhere these days so how about a Vostok Amphibia from Meranom.com (other retailers are available)? Handsome watches in an array of designs and cases that are versatile in terms of strap/bracelet choices and also a genuine automatic dive watch with pedigree and heritage. Love my Steve Zissou, wear it anywhere I'm likely to be active or near water, dresses up and down well. Will add some pictures later.

                      https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-cla...ic-420526.html
                      How long have you had it?

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                        How long have you had it?
                        Just over two years. Runs about 6 or 7 seconds a day fast, which is very good for a certified Swiss let alone anything else. Only criticism would be the initial bracelet likes to eat wrist hair, but there's loads of better replacements and natos out there for not much. Been in the sea, pools, all sorts and never had an issue. Screw down crown and a dynamic gasket that actually seals tighter with pressure do the trick. Only acrylic glass, but there are a bunch of mods available, including sapphire if that's important to you.

                        https://divewatchesblog.com/wp-conte...6/IMG_4969.jpg

                        Comment


                          #27

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by stevat View Post
                            Just over two years. Runs about 6 or 7 seconds a day fast, which is very good for a certified Swiss let alone anything else. Only criticism would be the initial bracelet likes to eat wrist hair, but there's loads of better replacements and natos out there for not much. Been in the sea, pools, all sorts and never had an issue. Screw down crown and a dynamic gasket that actually seals tighter with pressure do the trick. Only acrylic glass, but there are a bunch of mods available, including sapphire if that's important to you.

                            https://divewatchesblog.com/wp-conte...6/IMG_4969.jpg
                            Just curious. I have owned about 10 vostok in total. My first few were solid. My last few were not. Died real fast. Lost time or would randomly stop working. 2 had the same issue with the rotor binding up due to a tiny gear. They are neat and plenty of people have had good luck with them. Plenty havent. I think its worth a shot to see. I may end up with another one at some point. The tech behind their waterproofing is neat.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                              Just curious. I have owned about 10 vostok in total. My first few were solid. My last few were not. Died real fast. Lost time or would randomly stop working. 2 had the same issue with the rotor binding up due to a tiny gear. They are neat and plenty of people have had good luck with them. Plenty havent. I think its worth a shot to see. I may end up with another one at some point. The tech behind their waterproofing is neat.
                              Yeah, I've heard of issues with their rotor, but I've not experienced that first hand. The wobbly crown when winding worried me at first, but apparently that's a foible of theirs. Have to be one of the best value for money dive watches going.
                              Also got a lovely Luch hand winder dress watch from Chronopolis here in the UK, fantastic value also. For good value dive watches Precista or Smiths at Timefactors are worth a look. Watch gecko in London as well.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by stevat View Post
                                Yeah, I've heard of issues with their rotor, but I've not experienced that first hand. The wobbly crown when winding worried me at first, but apparently that's a foible of theirs. Have to be one of the best value for money dive watches going.
                                Also got a lovely Luch hand winder dress watch from Chronopolis here in the UK, fantastic value also. For good value dive watches Precista or Smiths at Timefactors are worth a look. Watch gecko in London as well.
                                Yeah, the wobbly crown is part of the design. Or construction I should say. Part of the oddball character the watches have.

                                Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X