If you could only have 3-4 sweaters in your closet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could only have 3-4 sweaters in your closet

I’m looking for inspiration and curious what people like and why?

What colors, fabrics, cuts, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were limited to 4 items, I'd go for different styles over different colors. Chunky cable shawl cardigan, mid weight fleece zip up, mid weight ribbed turtleneck, and fine merino v-neck. As for the color, I'd get them all in charcoal. Boring, I know, but they'd go with any color of coat/jacket and give a nice contrast with lighter tops or blend in easily with dark monochrome looks.

Comment

Blue v neck sweater
      Gray v neck sweater
      Blue cardigan regular not shawl
      Burgundy cardigan regular not shawl

That would work for me. Not ideal but cover 70% of the times I wear a sweater which is for work.

Comment

TBH now that I wear jacket+tie for work I barely ever wear sweaters and have donated most of the ones I owned. I have one tobacco brown button-up cardigan that I keep at the office as an emergency "warm layer," one charcoal zip cardigan that was a gift from my mom from her trip to NZ, and one chunky, oatmeal lambswool shawl cardigan that I very rarely wear.
        Ben

Comment

I want to like cardigans on me, but I have a bit of a gut, and I always feel like the buttons end up pulling and just accentuating it. Maybe I just haven't found the right one.

They haven't gotten any love in this thread, but I'm honestly a big fan of crew neck sweaters. They definitely skew casual, but so do I. So if I was just picking 4 sweaters I'd probably do 4 medium weight crew neck sweaters in navy and 3 colors out of black/oatmeal/grey/olive/burgundy.

Comment

1 gray shetland crew neck
            1 navy merino v-neck
            1 other color merino v-neck
            1 fisherman's sweater. I love the chunkiness of them.

If I had more space I would throw in something like a nice thick cashmere sweater but good ones cost money and if we go the cheaper route I much prefer merino wool to cheap cashmere.
            Last edited by JBarwick; January 24th, 2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=2659]Deke[/MENTION], both jcrew and banana republic have shawl collar pullovers that give you that nice chunky collar without the bulky buttons and pockets of a cardigan

My four would be:
              camel merino v-neck
              navy merino v-neck
              light grey thick cashmere polo collar
              cream or navy fishermans sweater, either cabled or a chunky waffle knit

The v-necks can do anything from casual to wear under a suit for extra warmth, the other two can go casual to business casual. This was tough for me. Since I don't wear suits at work, I wear a lot of sweaters and I love them them. Nothing feels better to me. I have a pair of vintage thick cashmere sweaters that are unbelievably nice to wear. Recently I've been trying to find a cabled sweater that I like. My wife could knit me one, but that could be $150 in materials alone and it would take a couple months to finish.

Comment

Most wool sweaters I can't tolerate due to allergies so:

Navy v-neck cashmere
                Camel/tan cable cotton cardigan
                Burgundy crew neck cashmere
                Gray crew neck cashmere

Comment

These are what I currently own:

2 x fine merino wool cardigan (light grey, wine). Strictly worn under a sport coat.
                  2 x wool crew neck (burgundy, heathered dark green). Worn as outermost layer, or under a jacket/coat that is not a sport coat.

Comment

I'd' have one of each: crewneck, henley, V-neck, cardigan.
                    2 cotton (probably the crew and the henly); 2 wool.
                    navy, charcoal, camel, and "fun" color--like a burnt orange or something.

Comment

These colors work really well in my personal color palette but I think thats a pretty personal decision. I would use shirts underneath, sports coats and outerwear over to mix up the look.

grey merino crew
                      navy merino v neck
                      cream/beige chunky shawl
                      burgundy chunky cardigan

Comment

I have a light grey linen blend Henley style sweater from BR that I love. It layers over casual shirts very well or can be my only layer.

Comment

I would have a hard time choosing only four. But if I had to,

grey or navy merino v neck
                          massively chunky shawl cardigan
                          chunky fisherman's crew
                          lighter shawl cardigan for lounging

Comment

Originally posted by Dun View Post
                            I have a light grey linen blend Henley style sweater from BR that I love. It layers over casual shirts very well or can be my only layer.
                            I want to try linen and linen blend sweaters. I really need to visit a store with some and check them out as wool can be tool warm outdoors in the summer but sitting at a desk can get quite cold.

Comment

Crew neck, two half zip, and one sweater jacket

Comment

Working...
                              X