Are these shoes too big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these shoes too big?

Based on the way the shoe on the right is creasing, is that an indication that the shoe is too long? I sized up from a 7.5D (AE Bradley) to an 8D (AE Malvern) because of comments I read about the shoe.

When it comes to walking in them, they don't feel obviously too big. There isn't a whole lot of heel slippage, although I do have them laced a little tightly. My toes have plenty of room but they're not swimming. This is my first wear out with them so these may end up feeling looser over time.

If I could do it again, I'd probably go with a 7.5D instead. My feet measure 8E/7.5 2E on the left/right respectively (heel-to-ball/heel-to-toe) on a Brannock device.

100% Yes. I had the exact same problem with a pair of AE Leeds.

I bought +0.5 size because the toe-box felt too narrow, but they ended creasing like that because they were too long.

Go back to 7.5D and walk around them in a while until they stretch out. You can also pay a cobbler to stretch them for you.

All Allen Edmonds tend to run a bit long. Drives me crazy, because no other shoe is anywhere near the quality for the price.

Comment

Have you tried an insole? If there's a bit of room it could fill the shoe out and it might lessen the creasing. If not it's just too long. I have a pair of AEs like that, it sucks because they actually fit fine.

Comment

Thanks guys. I answered my own question by loosening up the laces to relieve pressure on my instep and walking around a bit. Sure enough the shoes are just a tad too big, dang.

I'll try an insole, a thin one to see if it addresses the fit issue. Chalk it up to a $100 lesson in learning proper shoe fit for the Malverns. Too lazy to eBay anything.

Comment

Runners n jeans, if you give those shoes a nice polish / cleaning and put them in shoe trees for a few days they should look good enough to get ~$100 or so on eBay.

Comment

Working...
          X