This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
    How about a mini-review of these shoes (a non-snobby review)?

They look good. A friend of mine has some Gordon Rush loafers he likes. They seem to have a lot of decent-looking shoes.

How do you like yours? I know you can find them at different price points depending on where you get them--I am assuming they are different lines.

Do you know much about them? I haven't run into much information on this brand. But I haven't looked much.
    Don't know too much about these ones, but they're called the Bennet and was originally $225, but I got them for ~$55 at Nordstrom Rack couple years ago. Definitely like these guys and have been trying to wear them more often.

They're cemented, as far as I can tell, but cemented well. Stitching is nice and neat and the leather is actually pretty decent. It's not some corrected grain/painted cheap leather. Reasonably thick and soft feeling. leather lined as well. The leather and construction quality is very similar to my Banana Republic Wyatt Italian leather single monks (review of those on dappered main site if you don't have first hand experience with those), but maybe a bit more supple feeling.

Definitely wouldn't buy at full price, but worth it under 100. Comfortable, too.

As far as sizing goes, I'd say size up? These are an 8.5 and they fit my 8W feet perfectly, only about an inch past my big toe, but an 8.5 length foot would have to be pretty pointy to be comfortable crammed all the way to the front.
    Last edited by Nandyn; June 25th, 2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nandyn View Post

My current go-to:
      AE Academy derbies in natural Horween.
      Oh man, I like these a lot too. Just did a look around and cannot find em though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jays0n View Post
        Oh man, I like these a lot too. Just did a look around and cannot find em though

Yeah, I got really, really lucky with those!

Comment

• Thanks!

Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
          Don't know too much about these ones, but they're called the Bennet and was originally $225, but I got them for ~$55 at Nordstrom Rack couple years ago. Definitely like these guys and have been trying to wear them more often.

They're cemented, as far as I can tell, but cemented well. Stitching is nice and neat and the leather is actually pretty decent. It's not some corrected grain/painted cheap leather. Reasonably thick and soft feeling. leather lined as well. The leather and construction quality is very similar to my Banana Republic Wyatt Italian leather single monks (review of those on dappered main site if you don't have first hand experience with those), but maybe a bit more supple feeling.

Definitely wouldn't buy at full price, but worth it under 100. Comfortable, too.

As far as sizing goes, I'd say size up? These are an 8.5 and they fit my 8W feet perfectly, only about an inch past my big toe, but an 8.5 length foot would have to be pretty pointy to be comfortable crammed all the way to the front.
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

• Thursday Boot has a similar shoe. I have heard mixed things about quality, but maybe they'd suffice given that I'd have a hard time shelling out the $$$ that the folks on GYW seem to spend on stuff.

https://thursdayboots.com/products/m...ion=mens-shoes

For more, I suppose I could splurge on this by Rancourt: https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/m...den-derby.html

Comment

• Suede loafers from Velasca.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

• AE Shreveport. I love the woven shoe look during the summer.

Comment

• $40 eBay score. Barely worn. Probably too heavy for the summer season, but I wanted to test drive them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
                    Thursday Boot has a similar shoe. I have heard mixed things about quality, but maybe they'd suffice given that I'd have a hard time shelling out the $$$ that the folks on GYW seem to spend on stuff.

https://thursdayboots.com/products/m...ion=mens-shoes

For more, I suppose I could splurge on this by Rancourt: https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/m...den-derby.html
                    How about these? https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...lor_name=maple

(Some more info on Reddit, although they mention reviews from GYW subreddit, but those guys are very shoe snobby/into vibergs, $1000+ shoes, etc).

https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalef...r_derbys_9399/

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post

$40 eBay score. Barely worn. Probably too heavy for the summer season, but I wanted to test drive them.

That's an awesome find! Looks great

Comment

• Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post

$40 eBay score. Barely worn. Probably too heavy for the summer season, but I wanted to test drive them.

Man you guys in US sure are lucky when it comes to busying stuff on eBay. I'd love to purchase some shoes, but shipping always kills the 'deal' part of it.

Comment

• GYW'd Frye Jones double monks in ash nubuck

Bummed that I got a drop of chloroform/isoamyl alcohol on the left one which left it marred.... While I was typing that I realized I had some really fine sandpaper in the lab and managed to lightly sand away most of the blemish (result not pictured).
                        Last edited by Nandyn; June 26th, 2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

What are they?

Comment

• Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                            What are they?
                            Oh, yeah...that might be important info . Allen edmonds MacNeil 2.0 pebble grain
                            Last edited by Loafer28; June 26th, 2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• now that summer is officially here, shorts all day and everyday, lab rules be damned
                              w/ sperry camp mocs

Comment

Oh, yeah...that might be important info . Allen edmonds MacNeil 2.0 pebble grain
                                Great find for $40!

Comment

Working...
                                X