Shawl collared cardigan with a tie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawl collared cardigan with a tie.

I have to do a talk Thursday, for about an hour, and then listen to others speak for at least another 3+ hours. The auditorium that it will be in is chilly to say the least, and the event is not formal. What are your thoughts on a shawl collared cardigan with a tie look?

*i will be in wool pants and dress shoes as well

Comment

Is this an academic or business environment? What is your seniority related to other people in the room?

Comment

I was always taught that if you need a tie, you need a jacket. You might consider some thin base layer type undershirts. Another option might be a regular old A-shirt Often times I find I can wear an A-shirt under whatever in pretty cold weather without needing any kind of coat to keep warm.
        I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Originally posted by gochrisgo View Post
          Is this an academic or business environment? What is your seniority related to other people in the room?
          It's a medical conference, so it will be a bit of both, depending on the participant. It's not overly formal, most of the physicians speaking aren't menswear savvy at all.

Comment

LOL I've seen a lot of square toes in the hospital.
            I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Could you do a thin wool V-Neck sweater under a sport coat?
              Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
              Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
              --Jason Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Martigan View Post
                I was always taught that if you need a tie, you need a jacket. You might consider some thin base layer type undershirts. Another option might be a regular old A-shirt Often times I find I can wear an A-shirt under whatever in pretty cold weather without needing any kind of coat to keep warm.
                That is actually not a bad idea that I didnt think of.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Martigan View Post
                  LOL I've seen a lot of square toes in the hospital.
                  It's a pandemic in the healthcare community. We have visitors from all over and it seems like they all love the square toes. lol

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                    Could you do a thin wool V-Neck sweater under a sport coat?
                    Yeah, that is what I was originally going to do. I figured I'd lose the jacket and just do a shawl cardigan for comfort, but I can always just take the jacket off when I am seated. I was just curious as to what others thought of the shawl with tie look. I googled images and some of the looks werent too bad.

Comment

I've seen photos where it looks good. But I can't recall ever seeing it in person.

But I don't hate square-toed shoes either. So, take it for what it's worth.
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                        Yeah, that is what I was originally going to do. I figured I'd lose the jacket and just do a shawl cardigan for comfort, but I can always just take the jacket off when I am seated. I was just curious as to what others thought of the shawl with tie look. I googled images and some of the looks werent too bad.
                        It's not a bad look though I would prefer the V-neck sweater under a jacket. Nothing wrong with taking it up a notch.

Comment

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/04/97/9f/0...l-oconnell.jpg

I think it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you need to dress up, sweater under a sportcoat would be a nice look. If you don't, cardigan+tie is a fine option. I wear it to work sometimes, as jacket and tie is way above the dress level of everyone else in the office.

Comment

I have a very hard time ever endorsing a tie without a suit. It's a very confused look--ties are at the highest level of formality, yet the rest of the outfit isn't formal to match. I think it can either look a little too try-hard/clumsy about 90% of the time. I've only seen it look acceptable in an academia context, but I think the assumption there is that academics are a bit goofy themselves, so it fits the bill.

Luckily, I would lump a medical conference into "academia," broadly defined. But if this is also the kind of conference where you'll see attendees from the business side of biotech and pharmaceuticals, I would expect them to dress a bit more sporty (suits and no ties, or even finance bro-esque vests and quarter zips).

Long story short, it's a hard look to pull off.

Comment

Working...
                              X