Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best purchase of 2018?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Not a lot of purchases last year, though I snagged a pair of peccary gloves on a trip to Peru.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
      Not a lot of purchases last year, though I snagged a pair of peccary gloves on a trip to Peru.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Dang, now that is a humblebrag right there. Mentioning peccary and a trip to Peru in the same post! Feel the need to buy you a beer just to hear about both.

      Personally, I’m most enjoying my new Thursdays boots.

      In 2019, I plan to buy my first non-off-the-rack suit. Perhaps from the Chicago Suitsupply, but I’d take recommendations.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

      Comment


        #18
        Probably my olive merino wool shawl collar cardigan from BR. Got a great deal and it's just such a fantastic piece.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Jrbrownie00 View Post
          Probably my olive merino wool shawl collar cardigan from BR. Got a great deal and it's just such a fantastic piece.
          with the cable knit pattern? that would be my favorite pick up this year as well

          Comment


            #20
            Allen Edmonds Surrey Chelsea boot 9EEE had my size for once ever at Nordstrom Rack. $159 and they are amazing. Only downside is not made in the USA. My first pair of boots/shoes not American made in ages.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by HankScorpio View Post
              with the cable knit pattern? that would be my favorite pick up this year as well
              Yes sir.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                Allen Edmonds Surrey Chelsea boot 9EEE had my size for once ever at Nordstrom Rack. $159 and they are amazing. Only downside is not made in the USA. My first pair of boots/shoes not American made in ages.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Okay, "amazing" is amazing no matter where they are made, no? And that's quite a great price.

                I don't have any doubt that well-trained people in the DR can make shoes as well as people in the USA.
                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                Comment


                  #23
                  Th it's is such a great question. It is either my Redwing iron ranger in Amber Harness, or my Gustin Olive Twill Duffle. No wait my Hardwick suit I bought on a new year's Eve sale that fits better off the rack than my made to measure suits at half the price.

                  It's been a big year of shopping.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    What was your best sartorial purchase of 2018?

                    For me it was picking up a 1997 Rolex Submariner. The watch has quickly become my go-to and pretty much a daily wearer. While I do have some other nice watches, I find myself reaching for the sub more and more.
                    Mine was a watch too - my Seiko Presage Baby Snowflake. It is understated, but has a truly mesmerizing dial. Plus it is readable with the tiniest bit of ambient light, since the dial reflects light completely differently from the hands.
                    Mark

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                      Okay, "amazing" is amazing no matter where they are made, no? And that's quite a great price.

                      I don't have any doubt that well-trained people in the DR can make shoes as well as people in the USA.
                      At $159 at the rack they are worth it but I stick to generally buying MiUS if I can. I also support some European countries of manufacture but will not support Chinese made goods. It does erk me when a brand touts themselves as an American heritage brand but then goes else where when convenient for the company.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                        At $159 at the rack they are worth it but I stick to generally buying MiUS if I can. I also support some European countries of manufacture but will not support Chinese made goods. It does erk me when a brand touts themselves as an American heritage brand but then goes else where when convenient for the company.
                        Dominican Republic is a long way from China.
                        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                        Comment


                          #27
                          My best purchases were a pair of black horse bit loafers from Ferragamo and a black Sanyo dressy rain coat.

                          2018 was the year of a long challenging job search for me. I bought both of these at the amazing new Nordstrom Mens shop in NYC about halfway through the search. Both of these pieces are super versatile, and express a little bit about my personal taste. They’re more versatile than I was thinking and I get so many wears out of them. They boosted my confidence on the search.

                          Both on the expensive side but well worth it for me.

                          Nordstrom price matched from a sale I found at Saks on Google shopping:
                          https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/sanyo...incoat/4972630

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I'd say my best was picking up a Gustin waxed trucker jacket. I got it in summer when I found a nice deal and couldn't really wear it until October. But then I wore it for the rest of the calendar year and was very happy.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by zac10sim View Post
                              Th it's is such a great question. It is either my Redwing iron ranger in Amber Harness, or my Gustin Olive Twill Duffle. No wait my Hardwick suit I bought on a new year's Eve sale that fits better off the rack than my made to measure suits at half the price.

                              It's been a big year of shopping.
                              Buddy sounds like you had a pretty good year of shopping! Nicely done.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Pretty sure 2016 my New Years goal was not to buy clothing. I sold about 2000$ worth on the forums and eBay, sold my house and moved and traveled down the worm hole of buying a new house.

                                Ever since I bought and started working on the house I really stopped buying clothing besides very specific items which were planned out and all rationalized though. Replacement sweatshirt to replace a destroyed hoodie, AE Surrey to replace my destroyed Clark’s. Two polos for work from Polo outlet.

                                2019 I also see as not being a big clothing year again. Hopefully sell some stuff again with a big eBay purge. Maybe sell a couple watches since the market is prime to sell.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X