No announcement yet.

Washing Sweaters??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just use a 5 gallon bucket with cashmere sweater wash. Put the sweater in, soak for a couple of minutes, and then swish around in the water. Gently squeeze excess water out and dry flat on sweater rack.

Comment

What about Woolite? Is it needed? Or can any laundry soap do the trick?

Comment

I wash by hand in cold water using Eucalan within season (this is for wool or cashmere, cotton is generally machine washable). It's a wool wash with lanolin (which is the natural oil sheep produce to keep their wool soft and conditioned). The great thing about Eucalan is that it does not need to be rinsed out which makes hand washing that much less of a pain. I just soak the sweater for 20-30 minutes with some occasional gentle agitation, then press as much water out of the sweater as possible (do not twist or wring, just press, and pressing it into a colander - yes, the thing you strain pasta with - really helps get a lot of extra water out). Then I roll in a clean towel and stand on the towel to squeeze even more water out. Then I lay flat on a drying rack or a mesh sweater drying hoop I have. At the end of every winter I have all my woolens dry cleaned, as dry cleaning chemicals kill moth larvae. Those chemicals are a little hard on wool but moths are even harder on wool.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
          What about Woolite? Is it needed? Or can any laundry soap do the trick?
          Like mark said, I use eucalan (lavender scented I think?). One bottle will last you a long time.

Comment

Working...
          X