Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vest Recommendations

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Vest Recommendations

    I am new to the world of vests and looking for advice.

    I want to wear them as with a dress shirt and dark wash denim and also under a blue cotton blazer or a brown tweed sports jacket.

    I really like this one https://factory.jcrew.com/p/F5142

    and Amazon has ones from Gioberti at $20 that get good reviews although they are polyester rayon.

    Any recommendation on specific types, colors and places to purchase?

    Thanks in advance.

    #2
    One recommendation: don't get one which fits like the linked vest. The vest is supposed to be long enough to cover your shirt and belt all the way around, to create a smooth silhouette, not leave a ring of shirt fabric sticking out. There's a reason why the alternate name for a vest is waistcoat.

    Also, if you're wearing the vest by itself it should be self-backed, that is the same outer fabric front and back. Otherwise it looks like an orphan from a three-piece suit.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
      One recommendation: don't get one which fits like the linked vest. The vest is supposed to be long enough to cover your shirt and belt all the way around, to create a smooth silhouette, not leave a ring of shirt fabric sticking out. There's a reason why the alternate name for a vest is waistcoat.

      Also, if you're wearing the vest by itself it should be self-backed, that is the same outer fabric front and back. Otherwise it looks like an orphan from a three-piece suit.
      Thanks for the recommendation. I agree the vest as photographed is too short on the model.

      Regarding a self-backed vest. Most of the photos of vests worn casually without a jacket that I have seen usually have the standard satin backing.

      Do you know a source for self-backed vests so I could take a look?

      Comment


        #4
        I recommend that you dont get one. Wearing a waistcoat with anything but a 3-piece suit is a horrible look, especially with jeans, imo.

        Comment


          #5
          I might try a button-up sweater vest to wear under your sport coats instead. Then you can determine how much you like the vest look, with a normal looking vest; and expand from there, if necessary.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Ron View Post

            Do you know a source for self-backed vests so I could take a look?
            Made to measure will let you get self backed. Get matching pants when you can.


            I can’t afford the jackets usually so I thrift casual jackets.

            I’d stick to highly textured vest/pants, like the ones linked in the first post. That model must have a crazy long torso for it not cover the pants, I’ve never had that problem with jcrew/jcf before

            Comment


              #7
              [MENTION=14744]Dun[/MENTION] - What is happening in that bottom pic? Wallet chain, hemp necklace, and denim jacket with suit pants and a vest?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                [MENTION=14744]Dun[/MENTION] - What is happening in that bottom pic? Wallet chain, hemp necklace, and denim jacket with suit pants and a vest?

                Hemp? Do you mean the waxed cord on my hook? It was a gift from my wife and the bone is finally getting a decent patina. It usually hangs below the shirt opening but with my arm raised like that you can see a bit

                The leather strap I just cut real quick for my work keys. I cannot lose those

                Comment


                  #9
                  I tried a thread like this a while ago, brace yourself for a boatload of hate.

                  Express and suitsupply have good looking vests IMO though.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
                    I tried a thread like this a while ago, brace yourself for a boatload of hate.

                    Express and suitsupply have good looking vests IMO though.
                    Appreciate the info. Thanks.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X