• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackbauer24 View Post
    this is a nice album from reddit/r/goodyearwelt:

https://imgur.com/a/vf3QwQh#WhZkMPx
    Those. Those are some sexy boots.

Comment

It was a neat Imgur album, but there wasn't really any context for the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
        I swapped out the cap toe for the pacer. I really like them so far, but I've only been breaking them in around the house for the past 2 days.

Maybe I'll still pony up for the TBC Captain. The positive reviews really dominate Amazon. What size did you go with? I'm a 9 in my Red Wings, but a 9.5 in J Crew. I'm usually a 10.5 in normal kicks.
        Spend some time on r/goodyearwelt, I trust those boot dorks far more than the Amazon world, and the general take is not overly positive.

Also, I wouldn't make speed hooks a requirement here. 99% of the time you can add them later .

Comment

Long time lurker here. I've often considered adding my thoughts on various topics and finally decided to dive in.

I've been a Thursday Boot customer for over two years. I first purchased the President boot in dark brown and the Captains boot in Natural. Since then I have added various other boots and even purchased a few things for my wife. I can only speak for my experiences, but I have had zero quality control issues with TBC. I don't go hiking in them, but I wear them for pretty much everything daily wear can throw at them. I find them extremely comfortable and I love the slim profile. Maybe I am lucky, but I haven't had one problem with any of the boots I have purchased and I wear them all the time. Further, my wife loves how I look in them which is a very good thing.

One other thing I like very much about the boots is that any minor scuffs and scratches are easily buffed out. I haven't yet had to polish them. I just use some leather balm and a soft cloth. Anyway, they are boots and I personally like the character they develop over time.

I hope this is helpful. Just wanted to chime in with some first hand experience.

Comment

I have had the French Roast Vanguards in my cart for like 4 weeks and still have not pulled the trigger. I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile Cap toes, and I know they are probably a little bit better quality than the Thursday, but the Wolverines are just clunky and heavy in my opinion. Why am I so cheap?!?!

Comment

Cobbler Union Renoir are my favorite pair of boots / shoes that i own.

Comment

I feel conflicted about TBC. I have a pair of their chukkas, which I think look really great and were a good price, but they aren't especially comfortable to wear. The insole, as mentioned before, is oddly squeaky and offers little support. I love the rest of the boot, though. Is the insole for the Scout considerably different than their other boots?

Comment

Originally posted by robottawa View Post
                  I feel conflicted about TBC. I have a pair of their chukkas, which I think look really great and were a good price, but they aren't especially comfortable to wear. The insole, as mentioned before, is oddly squeaky and offers little support. I love the rest of the boot, though. Is the insole for the Scout considerably different than their other boots?
                  The Scout is stitchout construction like a CDB versus the GYW of the cap-toes so yes, there could very well be a significant difference. OTOH, they could both be uncomfortable to your particular foot.

Comment

Originally posted by robottawa View Post
                    If, "oddly squeaky" bothers you, don't ever buy AE Daltons. I've seen people resort to all sorts of fuckery on here to stop them from squeaking.

Comment

I find the TBC scout boots to be very comfortable. If they squeak I haven't noticed that in mine. As for the insole, it seems to be similar to the other boots I have from them. Personally, I think they are a much better boot than Clarks. I do find what they say is true that they get more comfortable as you wear them and the cork bed midsole conforms to your feet.

Comfort in a shoe or boot is relative. What one person find comfortable, another may not. The feel of a pair of Chucks is a good example. Some love them, other don't. I suppose it's all about finding what works for you.

Comment

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/orig...t-mens&start=1

How about the wolverine 1k in navy suede for $145, use save15 for 15% off, which brings it down to $123 plus taxes.

Comment

Damn. Love those blue suedes!

Comment

Though sometimes overlooked in favor of the popular Indy, Alden makes some boots very suitable for office wear. Here's one, for example:

https://www.theshoemart.com/alden-sh...12-dark-brown/

If you are very patient and diligent, you can sometimes find Aldens on sale for at least a couple of hundred off list.

Comment

I dress business casual for work, and my boot of choice for the colder months is the Crockett & Jones Islay. They are very versatile and good looking!

https://www.crockettandjones.com/isl...-scotch-grain/

Comment

While an excellent recommendation, they are more than double what the OP is looking to spend.

Comment

Working...
                                X