This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formal Wear

So I just found out that I have to go to a swanky fundraiser where people wear formal wear. My showed me some pictures of past years, and a good amount of men were wearing tuxes. I don't own a tux. If more than half of the guys are wearing tuxes, should I just assume that I need to get one as well? I don't want to rent one as that would look like shit, so I'd have to buy something anyway - the whole enchilada; tux, shirt, shoes, bow tie. I wouldn't mind looking at a different option for formal wear if I would have to buy something anyway. For example, I've always kind of liked the velvet blazers. Bonobos has some interesting ones, but I'm not sure I would accidentally stand out as "that guy" - not to mention I'm likely going to spend the same amount of money on my attire.
    Do I have any decent, non "that guy" options for non-tux formal wear?
    If no, what places offer good, stylish yet classic tuxes? I see that Suit Supply has a tux deal that allows you to save $200 bucks. It's $800 for the tux, shirt, shoes, box tie. I'm not sure of the quality of that particular option though. Bonobos has some decent looking options, and I like the non-peak lapel options better anyway, but since I missed Black Friday, this would end up being more expensive. The event isn't until mid-January, so I might have time to hit another pre-Christmas sale.
    Suggestions?

Jump on some dinner jacket sales right now during the holidays, velvet is fine it is cold season based and you don’t have to get a crazy color in velvet either.

Have black suit pants? A lack of tuxedo stripe on the pants isn’t noticeable except by yourself.

Add the cummerbund to hide the business look of the pants.

Comment

I think in general you should wear a tux if the situation applies. I personally enjoy it. But are you going to wear it more than once? Do you see yourself wearing it at least once a year?

If not then maybe consider the suit option. I personally don’t think it’s a smart financial decision to purchase the dinner jacket route since you don’t have a base tux.

I purchased the suit supply option this past spring and am happy with it.

Comment

If you live in a bigger city you may want to check out what's available for tux rentals. My understanding is that the options have improved significantly in recent years.

If you don't want to buy something new, I think going with a dark suit, white shirt, black shoes and black tie is probably going to look less affected than something like trying to pair an odd dinner jacket with non-formal trousers.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          If you live in a bigger city you may want to check out what's available for tux rentals. My understanding is that the options have improved significantly in recent years.

If you don't want to buy something new, I think going with a dark suit, white shirt, black shoes and black tie is probably going to look less affected than something like trying to pair an odd dinner jacket with non-formal trousers.
          Regarding the suit - The problem is I very rarely wear suits anymore, so the only one I really like is a navy. I'd have to buy a dark (charcoal?) suit if I didn't get a tux. That would get more use than the tux though - unless I have to go to this fundraiser every year now.

I had liked the idea of this burgundy velvet blazer from Bonobos - https://bonobos.com/products/jetsett...color=burgundy - but I could see that not being very well suited to multiple wears. It would be painfully obvious that you are wearing the same thing again versus a standard suit or tux (I guess). If I went with the dark suit, I'd still need black shoes as I've only been wearing various browns for the past few years.
          Basically seems like I'm going to have to spend some money whichever way I go.

Comment

If I foresaw that I would only need a tux just this one time, and I didn't want to rent, and I was fairly sure I would not need to wear a tux again for several years, I wouldn't buy one--I would just be "that guy." I certainly wouldn't spend $800 for just one time (I'm assuming you're not extravagantly wealthy--but if you are, why not just spend the $$$?)

So, if I'm never going to wear a tux again, I might go for a velvet dinner jacket and dress trousers.

That said, I go to two or three formal events a year, and I still wouldn't spend $800 for a tux. Right now I have a very inexpensive one I got from Macy's. The thing with a tux is that to most everybody, they all look the same more or less. And at least half the men are going to feel uncomfortable wearing them, unless you're running in some rarefied circles. This means very few people are going to be paying much attention to the details of your tux, because they are going to be overly concerned about whether they are pulling off the tux thing correctly. Also, because it's nighttime and they've been drinking.

My opinion is that an inexpensive tux that is tailored to fit correctly will serve most men fine. And as far as shoes, you can wear black oxfords if they are in good shape and you polish them really well.

Also, if you don't want to "risk" anyone sussing out your inexpensive tux, have the tailor remove the "Alfani" or whatever labels from the inside.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
              If I foresaw that I would only need a tux just this one time, and I didn't want to rent, and I was fairly sure I would not need to wear a tux again for several years, I wouldn't buy one--I would just be "that guy." I certainly wouldn't spend $800 for just one time (I'm assuming you're not extravagantly wealthy--but if you are, why not just spend the $$$?)

So, if I'm never going to wear a tux again, I might go for a velvet dinner jacket and dress trousers.

That said, I go to two or three formal events a year, and I still wouldn't spend $800 for a tux. Right now I have a very inexpensive one I got from Macy's. The thing with a tux is that to most everybody, they all look the same more or less. And at least half the men are going to feel uncomfortable wearing them, unless you're running in some rarefied circles. This means very few people are going to be paying much attention to the details of your tux, because they are going to be overly concerned about whether they are pulling off the tux thing correctly. Also, because it's nighttime and they've been drinking.

My opinion is that an inexpensive tux that is tailored to fit correctly will serve most men fine. And as far as shoes, you can wear black oxfords if they are in good shape and you polish them really well.

Also, if you don't want to "risk" anyone sussing out your inexpensive tux, have the tailor remove the "Alfani" or whatever labels from the inside.
              I'm going to assume it would be a once a year occurrence. I just checked Macy's, and they have some cheap options. In those scenarios where I might be able to pick up a cheap polyester tux for $200, I'd still need to buy a shirt, shoes, and bow tie. Seems like the cheap route would be $500 at the lowest, right?

Comment

Formal Wear

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

That was exactly my thinking for my suggestion, based solely on spending the least amount of money

What I ended up doing personally was matching tuxedo striped pants & lapel waistcoat $200 mtm
                Clearance $35 jcpenny? dinner jacket plus tailoring
                Thrifted black dress oxfords, paid for the polish
                Jcrew sale Tux shirt and bow tie

I was worried about my outfit until I saw the guy that thought black tie = close up magician. Cape and gloves included

And you can reuse your tux every time a new bond movie comes out and no one bats an eye
                Last edited by Dun; November 30, 2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

When I was getting married someone suggested The Black Tux for suit rentals for my groomsmen. It's an online rental company. You give them your measurements and they send you a rental. But unlike other rental places they allow you to have the suit or tux alterationed by a tailor so you can actually get a decent fit. They'll even reimburse you up to a certain amount. For around $200 you get the entire outfit. They have showrooms at a few Nordstroms so I decided to check them out, and, honestly, they weren't half bad. Ultimately, I didn't go down the rental route but if I was in a pinch and needed a tux I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to rent from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pesape View Post
                    I'm going to assume it would be a once a year occurrence. I just checked Macy's, and they have some cheap options. In those scenarios where I might be able to pick up a cheap polyester tux for $200, I'd still need to buy a shirt, shoes, and bow tie. Seems like the cheap route would be $500 at the lowest, right?
                    If you need to buy everything, including shoes, it probably will be that much or more, even for a cheap tux. But if you buy black oxford shoes, are you sure you'd never wear them for anything else?

I've used a standard white dress shirt as well, at least once when my tux shirt was at the cleaners and I forgot to pick it up.
                    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
                    X